New PC for sons christmas

Associate
Hi. Looking to purchase a new pc for sons christmas present. He primarily wants it to play minecraft at the moment so I understand graphics card is not that important for this. However I know that at some point he will want to play more graphics intensive games so would like to get a top end build on rest of the components (futureproof....lol, as best I can) with a view to purchasing a good graphics card at a later date.

Thanks in advance. Budget is £400.

Soldato
With the budget being quite low, new parts are quite limited for your build... I've put together a spec with all new parts from OCUK with a Ryzen APU... I'm not sure how intensive Minecraft is to run CPU or GPU wise but can't imagine it will be that high...

A few used parts would get you a more powerful build and better performance than this spec

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £410.06 (includes shipping: £13.20)​
mobile-minimized.png

Associate
if you could up your budget abit to £500, I'm sure you could grab a second hand RX 580 and it would make the world of difference.

Onboard graphics is really bad, minecraft will be slow and sluggish.

Associate
OP
Thanks for advice.

Looking at userbenchmark the onboard graphics should run about 90fps on minecraft so I think as initial build this should be ok.

Any idea where cheapest place to get the OS, windows 10 is?

Associate
Looking at userbenchmark the onboard graphics should run about 90fps on minecraft so I think as initial build this should be ok.

I have a 2200g (the slightly slower, older version of the above CPU) and its perfectly fine for games like minecraft. Can even get away with most more graphically intensive games if you drop the settings all the way down :)

Any idea where cheapest place to get the OS, windows 10 is?
cheapest is free right from microsoft
https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

you don't have to activate it, the only real down side is a small watermark in the bottom right corner of the screen.

failing that, you can get a grey market windows key from most key resellers for around the £15 mark

Back
Top Bottom