• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Red Dead Redemption 2, GPU Benchmark, What You'll Need To Play!

Associate
I'd say 1440p with Ultra/max sliders/max options/TXAA is probably the sweet spot for high end hardware on this one. The game looks absolutely stunning like that. In the end, people don't have to open sub-menus and drag things to beyond the presets but it's nice to see a PC title (and port no less) that does offer the headroom to push the limit.
Ultra and high are almost indistinguishable. No point playing any game on ultra as the fps drop isn't worth it. Ultra is more for screenshots tbh

Soldato
What sort of performance hit does it take in real life gaming though. Since they heave no dedicated RT cores I feel the drop in fps won't be worth it just like the 10series nvidea cards were enabled to also 'run' ray tracing

AMD's own slides that were posted up on these forums showed that AMD's ray tracing for next year is only for certain lighting items. Essentially it helps performance by being very specific about what is ray traced and what is not. Nvidia's approach is more of a big brush stroke and hope for the best.

Associate
AMD's own slides that were posted up on these forums showed that AMD's ray tracing for next year is only for certain lighting items. Essentially it helps performance by being very specific about what is ray traced and what is not. Nvidia's approach is more of a big brush stroke and hope for the best.
I saw them slides. But I'm interested in how it affects the current gpu lineup. Specifically the 5700xt since the video link sent earlier showed that it could ray trace.

Man of Honour

nVidia is ultimately angling at the complete scene being rendered via ray tracing techniques, something like Quake 2 RTX but more advanced, which realistically is some way off yet while AMD is aiming more at what is feasible performance wise today - I'm of mixed feelings over it as I really like the effect when it all comes together there is an organic character to the lighting and little touches (for instance bounced light captured on a surface that is reasonably accurate so as to not break the immersion) that really bring things to life that are missing with traditional rendering or even hybrid techniques like in Cryengine.

Last edited:
Soldato
For a laugh I thought I'd give this a go on my project PC - an i7 860 with 8GB of RAM (with my current 1070ti). It runs surprising well, being significantly GPU limited at 1080p high settings. The part of the benchmark in the towns has increased CPU usage but its still GPU limited. Only valentine seems to be CPU limited - I guess there are a lot of people and stuff but less graphics to render.

Vulkan seems to give higher framerates but both are free of stutter.

I get about 45fps around town and 50fps in the countryside. This is all from the benchmark though!

Oh and the CPU is over clocked to 3.9GHz (and 2133MHz RAM running at... Something close to but under that)

Soldato
Latest patch added a new graphics option for tree tesselation and my god its demanding. Benchmark run went from 57avg to 53avg but that doesn't tell the full story I went into my SP save and standing in a little woodland abut 10 trees around me and I went from 54fps to 39fps and it doesn't look to be that much a big change either lol.

Soldato
When people are benchmarking what settings do they use or is it all auto?

I tried to set everything to max and I run out of vram. Zotac Amp Extreme RTX 2080

Soldato
Latest patch added a new graphics option for tree tesselation and my god its demanding. Benchmark run went from 57avg to 53avg but that doesn't tell the full story I went into my SP save and standing in a little woodland abut 10 trees around me and I went from 54fps to 39fps and it doesn't look to be that much a big change either lol.

I find the benchmark inconsistent as different things can happen each time. Horses sometimes appear in places and sometimes don’t. A random horse ran into my cart right at the end of it and caused slow fps so not sure how much value it really has.

Soldato
I find the benchmark inconsistent as different things can happen each time. Horses sometimes appear in places and sometimes don’t. A random horse ran into my cart right at the end of it and caused slow fps so not sure how much value it really has.

My runs seem very consistent but you not the first to tell me they had strange things happened with the benchmark.

Associate
Benchmark wont even run for me, just exits back to the menu and does nothing... not too fussed though, I've upped a few settings so fps is lowest 60ish highest 90+. It is making me think about a new GPU though, shame I missed that firesale on rain forest yesterday, they had the MSI Seahawk 2080ti for £738!!!

Back
Top Bottom