Serving spirits (or not) at a party

Man of Honour
Might be a generational thing, whereby in bygone years it was expected that the host[ess] would be serving the majority of refreshments. In which case the prospect of someone asking for whatever the latest cocktail craze is might be a bit daunting.
It's easy to say "yeah but people can just make their own" but they might not feel comfortable refusing to make a guest a drink and/or giving them free reign. Even if people are helping themselves sometimes you have to explain where things are in the kitchen etc. And the general issue of having the right mixers available to suit all tastes and/or people just necking spirits straight out the bottle because of a lack of mixers being available.

Soldato
Could be worse, you could turn up to a party and find that the only thing available to drink for those of us who don't 'drink' is either Coca Cola or tonic water. I can't drink Coca Cola as it gives me the rotten ***** and tonic water on it's own is pretty vile.

Soldato
OP
Their party their rules is fair. Though i expect quite a few may leave after 2 or 3 drinks or just stop drinking.
I’ll suggest a side table of mixers and spirits that i dont mind manning for a while and serving a few drinks. Nothing too crazy, few bottles of soft drinks and 5 bottles if spirits

Commissario
If you are invited to a party then you follow the rules of said party set out by the host especially if it's your parents. It's not rocket science.
Exactly this. I don't think it's unusual for parties hosted in peoples houses to not offer spirits.
I think probably 90% of people turning up somewhere to be offered a choice of Beer, Wine or Champagne are going to be pretty miffed.
Seriously? You think that nine out of ten people who go to a party are going to be miffed if the only options are beer, wine or champagne? Rubbish.

Soldato
Tbf there party there choice, I'd arque though it's unfair to stop yourself or any one else bringing spirits.

Fair enough if they don't want to provide, if i'm hosting one I don't usual get spirits in either but I'd say if any one wants em just bring em

Soldato
I think probably 90% of people turning up somewhere to be offered a choice of Beer, Wine or Champagne are going to be pretty miffed.

I think its the other way around, 90% of people will be fine. Its just the minority as usual who will moan.

Could be worse, you could turn up to a party and find that the only thing available to drink for those of us who don't 'drink' is either Coca Cola or tonic water. I can't drink Coca Cola as it gives me the rotten ***** and tonic water on it's own is pretty vile.

Adams ale

Soldato
I wish I still had my parents so I could go visit them. :(
A brilliant point, family will be gone all to quickly so make the most of any opportunity to spend time with them and don't worry about what you get to drink, you could even go to the party and shock horror not drink it's not compulsory you know?!?!?

Soldato
Sounds like your parents are putting together a nice social event so family and close friends can spend some time together, in which case the point of the event is not to get plastered. Regardless, it's your parents party and your parents rules, some of the responses from people saying they'd be "****** off" or "leave early to go to the pub" in such a scenario makes them come across as very rude, very entitled, and probable drunkards.

Back
Top Bottom