Buy only what you need

Associate
Hi all

I am asking how you personally interpret this message.

The "message" has been around for thousands of years with different variations, but all meaning the same thing, which is to buy only that which you need.

Food, clothes, water and shelter are a basic need, but what about if there is something you want, but that want is maybe useful, helpful, or even enjoyable?

Where do YOU draw the line on what you NEED? And what you want?

Caporegime
I don’t draw the line I just spend all of the budget otherwise tomorrow there might not be one. :p
I'm the exact opposite. I save everything. If I die tomorrow my siblings will spend it, I guess.

To be honest I'm pretty much of the "possessions are just things to worry about and spend money insuring" type of guy.

All my stuff is old (looked after and in good nick), and thus hardly worth anything. Including, sadly, my PC these days :p I save a fortune on insurance, and anything that needs replacing I can just replace.

I look at people who buy a new iPhone every year and I kind of wonder if they're looking for something. Trying to fill some void by spending copious amounts of money. On what? What's an iPhone anyway? (Insert your choice of £1000 phone here :p)

Permabanned
buy a new iPhone every year

you mean you not buying a new MacBook Pro 16”. Top spec laptop is about £6100. It’s only money.

just kidding. I actually don’t spend much now. I’ve stopped spending as much. I have everything I want now in terms of assets. I buy food and that’s it really. I’ve got enough savings To last a small zombie outbreak but that’s been kept for that occasion. :)

Man of Honour
The line for me is basically about whether I consider the item to be decent value or not rather to how much I want it. I buy plenty of stuff I don't need but rarely buy top of the range. I guess because I am moderately frugal in that regard I never really have to worry about it as I can buy anything I want, within reason. Ignoring houses, cars, holidays and wedding I think everything I've ever bought has cost £1k or less (with the exception of subscription services like internet etc).

Man of Honour
I look at people who buy a new iPhone every year and I kind of wonder if they're looking for something. Trying to fill some void by spending copious amounts of money. On what? What's an iPhone anyway? (Insert your choice of £1000 phone here :p)

I think it is more they think the only way to live life, the only way they think they can be happy, is the way society has told them rich, successful people live. (And probably think that if they didn't their friends would view them as a failure, etc.)

Soldato
week to week outside of food and drink i dont buy anything (if talking objects not services like fibre broadband) ,got enough music and films on the internet ,clothes xmas presents or charity shops .when i do get a large item i tend to research and keep a long time ,siill got my vierra plasma tv and my denon ahd2000 headphones both out of date but great performance.
edit oh forgot about my mate 20 pro but was a good deal

Soldato
My biggest expenditure by far is garden plants these days. It's just so therapeutic watching them grow. When I don't kill them.
ah yeh forgot about plants ,its like a tax when i go to polzeath as i drive past the garden centre in wadebridge,reckon i just need to let them grow next season .but at least its a sort of investment in the house

Man of Honour
I used to fritter money away on things. But now I try to buy purposfully. I will get something if it adds real value to my life. But I will also try to wait before buying so that I know it's really something I want or need.

I try to buy one good quality item rather than several poorer quality ones. I will repair things if possible. Where feasible I will try to find a used or refurbished item rather than pollute the earth with new ones.

As I get older I am trying to live with less physical things. I don't actually need much to live.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
I think it is more they think the only way to live life, the only way they think they can be happy, is the way society has told them rich, successful people live. (And probably think that if they didn't their friends would view them as a failure, etc.)
Some people just want the latest tech and have the disposable for it. It is a want, but a serviceable one.

What's with the Buddhist outlook, anyway? Sure you'll have dinner once, but how boring is that!

*that was meant to say inner peace but I much prefer the autocorrect version

Soldato
Interesting thread.

I have always been really frugal with money, partly out of necessity and partly due to agreeing with points above, about being wasteful, harming the environment etc, I do think about that stuff, more and more so going forward, but........

I have to be honest, for the last 11 months or so I have a new job in which I earn a good chunk more than I used to and I do have a bit more "disposable" income then I used to, and whilst I dont think I go mad I have not been very good this year, I've basically spent the difference rather than saving it, which I know is bad. I really must try to curb the spending going forward.

One example: Despite the vacuum cleaner we have still works, I really didnt like it, so I spent some £300 on a Bosch cordless vacuum cleaner, its great, and makes a dull job much better, but did I need that out of necessity?

I dont think I am too bad though, I dont have any debts, I see some people rack up debts and all sorts through spending, and this keeping up with the Jones'es, having to have the latest range rover evoque or whatever, I cant stand that and if I am honest, in life I avoid interaction with those types. I dont have a particularly fancy car, and to be honest, nor desire one either. My youngest son in 1 and a half and I beg people not to buy him toys for Christmas, he is perfectly happy with what hes got and we just spend time together, its far more important. Plastic toys are terrible for the environment.

I do think as a country though, we are starting to inherit American capitalism more and more, people want the latest this or that, new car whatever.

Soldato
Imagine saving for a future you dont even know your going to be a part of. Plus people tend to see money in the bank as being financial secure - yet its nothing of the sort.

You dont need to horde money away, just like you dont need to buy everthing you see. Moderation, like most things in life, is key.

Associate
I'm the same as lot of posts so far , just never spend my money. Got a massive pile of cash , loads more than my house is worth and no real interest in spending any of it. I've just never had the desire to buy stuff I don't need , although when I do need something i'm happy to spend whatever it costs (i'm not tight). I do buy a new car every 5 years but only a small runabout because I don't need anything bigger. I've never been more happy than I am right now either.

This computer is coming up to 7 years old but it works when I switch it on so why get a new one. My phone is still the first smart phone i bought but it works when i switch it on....We still have an awful lot of stuff we got when we married 31 years ago and see no reason to throw them out just cos they're old (not worn out btw)

I've just never been into this throwaway mentality that seems to pervade society

Soldato
I've been more frugal in recent years and likely more so going forwards. But not just "because money" but also the environmental effect. I tend to use things to their life span rather rather than replacing because it's cool i.e. I don't follow fashions/styles, I wear reasonably priced reasonably good quality clothes until they cannot be worn any more then usually reuse the material. I don't buy new TV every few years, I'll wait until my now almost 11 year old TV dies, then recycle it and purchase a new one, same with my phone. I don't by into "smart home" appliances, to me it just seems far too frivolous/wasteful.

So in essence, for me the scale is now leaning further towards the "need" than "want".

Back
Top Bottom