Buy only what you need

Soldato
I don’t think this thread is for me! I spend way too much cash on hobbies and usually small things for work as well. Mostly no one knows what I spend my money on (inc the mrs!) so it’s certainly not about showing off.

Soldato
define "need", because continuing one's existence means you've got to either be enjoying it, or feeling that your suffering is worth something.

i'd rather the former, so with that in mind yes i do "need" the frivolous things in life because for me my hobbies are what make life enjoyable and hence worth putting the effort in for.

Soldato
define "need", because continuing one's existence means you've got to either be enjoying it, or feeling that your suffering is worth something.

i'd rather the former, so with that in mind yes i do "need" the frivolous things in life because for me my hobbies are what make life enjoyable and hence worth putting the effort in for.

I don't think it's always going to be a binary choice of either one or the other, certainly not for me. I don't feel as though I'm suffering because I haven't got the latest tech, fashion or a flash car, as these do not equate to me "enjoying one's existence".

Soldato
I don't think it's always going to be a binary choice of either one or the other, certainly not for me. I don't feel as though I'm suffering because I haven't got the latest tech, fashion or a flash car, as these do not equate to me "enjoying one's existence".

there is a gradient for sure, i was meaning more that if all i "need" is air, food, water and shelter then it'd be a pretty boring life, but likewise wanting for nothing would get pretty boring too.

most of what we take as basic in our society isn't really, for example everyone posting in this thread has something they don't need, unless they're accessing the internet for free at their local library.

Soldato
But there's all sorts of things you could have that would make you enjoy your life more. I'd enjoy it a lot more if I had a sauna and a jacuzzi, for instance. I can't afford either, but if I could then great, I'd get them. Why not have them?!

Soldato
Well I definitely needed the second superyacht, to ferry my entourage around. Same for buying it a motor yacht instead of a tender. Not sure I need all five private islands, though...

Associate
I think after paying bills, essentials (food) and putting some into savings, then you can buy whatever you want.

I sway more towards experiences rather than possessions. A photo or two whilst trying something new or enjoyable has more value to me that I can always look back on far more than an iPhone that will be useless in a few years.

For most things that I don't really care about I'm the kinda person that sorts by lowest price first. I will buy the cheapest thing that does what I need it to do. TV's, cars, phones, etc. are all just requirements rather than passions though.

Soldato
But there's all sorts of things you could have that would make you enjoy your life more. I'd enjoy it a lot more if I had a sauna and a jacuzzi, for instance. I can't afford either, but if I could then great, I'd get them. Why not have them?!

Indeed, It's sort of sad in a way. Does it ever stop? People go through life with this seemingly endless task/journey of finding things to make them feel better, like nothing is ever good enough. I suppose it's inevitable that this happens in a capitalist/consumerist social and economic order.

Soldato
Buying 'things' doesn't make you feel better in the long run. That feeling when you buy something new soon goes away and then your onto the next best thing you need to buy to get that feeling back. Never ending cycle of consumerism we are subjected to on a daily basis.

Associate
I save up a small amount for my car and doing up the house. The rest I spend. I cant afford to buy top of the range as otherwise I wouldn't be able to have everything I want.

You might as well spend it as someone else will when you die but you still need to save for the big stuff and retirement.

Associate
Most days I'll buy only what I need, but if I see something I want I will treat myself if I have the money... otherwise what is the point of working for the money you earn.
If I didn't use my money for things I wanted when I felt the urge to splash out on something nice or fun, then I feel that I may as well give up my job and go live off grid somewhere.

Man of Honour
It's all about contentment isn't it, really?
Most millennials aren't really contented unless they have the the newest phone, the latest fashion trend, spending the money they don't have and then whining about not having enough money...lol ;)
And even then, they still moan about how someone else has something better/more than them...

Permabanned
It's all about contentment isn't it, really?
Most millennials aren't really contented unless they have the the newest phone, the latest fashion trend, spending the money they don't have and then whining about not having enough money...lol ;)
And even then, they still moan about how someone else has something better/more than them...

There is a reason for that. They haven’t grown up with nothing and have expected everything. They haven’t learnt what it’s like to have nothing.

Everyone who grew up with nothing don’t expect anything.

Soldato
There is a reason for that. They haven’t grown up with nothing and have expected everything. They haven’t learnt what it’s like to have nothing.

Everyone who grew up with nothing don’t expect anything.

Should we have to grow up with nothing? The reason why we haven't is that our parents wanted a different childhood for us than they had - i.e. having more than nothing. So if anything, you could conclude that our desire for stuff is driven by our parent's desires to improve upon their own upbringing.

I guess for context - when my wife and I bought our first (and only) house, we had almost no furniture. We both had this feeling of, why aren't our houses as nice as our parents'? But we had to put that into perspective - it's because our parents have acquired all the stuff in their houses over their entire lifetime, and we'd only just started. It wasn't really our desire for stuff that drove us to furnish the house etc. it was the desire for consistency between moving from our parents' comfortable homes into our own.

And yes, we're both millennials.

Permabanned
I have grown up been taught to make do with what you have but treating yourself occasionally is good.

when I got a hole in my school trousers they weren’t replaced. I used to have 2 baths a week only. Once mid week and once on a Saturday. The Argos catalog was just becoming mainstream in 1984!

I’ve lived on my own for a while and only recently I sold everything I owned in assets to go back to an easier life. Because I’m single and have no children or ties I can do this (not saying you can’t if you where with someone or had kids) but it’s easier when you are.

it doesn’t mean it’s right or wrong. I believe you class it as spoilt brats when kids have everything with no meaning or value of how much things actually cost.

The world needs to slow down not keep getting faster. Want want want. Need need need.

Soldato
There can be a balance, I don't believe in saving everything after the essentials are paid or spending £300 single purchases. No point in working if you can't enjoy the fruits of your labour.

Caporegime
I've been on a tight saving routine for months now.

Trying to find a house and knowing that every k is another k I can go up.

Its amazing. I've spent so little.
Apart from fuel, food, bills etct last ebay order was July
And my last amazon order was August

Those two basically cover 'stuff'

I don't feel I've missed out at all.

Few things I do want to buy, but it's becoming easier and easier to resist.

Associate
Interesting thread, I really only buy what I need (Food, clothes etc). I am extremely tight when it comes to money, which is a trait I got from my mum. For example car parking, I would prefer to park 1-2 miles out of the city centre just to save on the parking charge (which can be anywhere from £2-£6 per time, depending on how long I stay).

I would much prefer money in my bank account then, spent on ornaments, junk and other useless things, I'm very much functional over anything else. If its not going to be useful in my life its simple I just wont buy it.

On the other hand my partner is the complete opposite, she would buy ornaments, overpriced gifts from a tourist gift shop, dog clothes, blankets, she even leaves the light on all day when I'm at work and I think what a waste of money!

Back
Top Bottom