Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
I've posted in this thread before and been told to actually go through with a cancellation and then they'll come to me with a revised offer. So that's what I've done and it remains to be seen if they will do that.

Oh yeah I'm not disputing it often works, you just have to be prepared for it not to.

Soldato
Just wait you have loads of time. You can stop the disconnection a couple of days before if you don't get a better offer.

Yeah, I guess so. I hope I can still get the same £33 offer at the very least. I keep reading about people on here getting amazing prices and tons of speed. I wish they'd offer me something like that.

Also, they'll presumably know I haven't gone with another provider because they'd expect the provider to make contact with them wouldn't they? So that might give them the upper hand and think I'm going to come crawling back.

Soldato
I'm so fed up with Virgin call centre staff saying one thing and doing another.

2 years in a row they have told me a new monthly price (which I confirm several times) and then send a completely different new contract out with higher prices. Then this year on top of that they told me the new contract would not be affected by the price increase and guess what this months bill has gone up by £3.50 :mad:

Will have to ring them again but really want to complain higher up as this is just outright deceitful.

Associate
just gone through the yearly cancel shenanigans

managed to get 50mb for £17 a month for 12 months
was previously paying £15 for 100mb

i think next year i might go for a 4g router from 3, when 5g kicks off i really think it will be the end for home broadband

5G won't be the end of fixed line broadband. Fixed line broadband will have to lower prices to compete with 5G

Soldato
Just wait you have loads of time. You can stop the disconnection a couple of days before if you don't get a better offer.

Well now, VM phoned me today about me not wanting to accept the £33 and cancelling. He offered £25 for 18 months for the M100 broadband. Result! :D

The M100 is up to 108Mb, so it's only a little bit less than my 150Mb connection, good enough for my needs. If I want to go to 200Mb, a reduction would still apply and only be another £5, that would be £30.

So I've basically managed to get almost half the price I was paying. I'm happy now and am staying with them. Going through with the cancellation worked in my favour. :)

APM

APM

Associate
I was with VM for a long time,a decade maybe.

When I finally had enough and left for BT a few days after I cancelled their retentions dept called me and made a silly offer which I refused and for about a year afterwards they mailed me (in the post) a series of even sillier offers if I came back.

Free 32" tv's etc for signing up to a new 12 moth contract.

Too late for them because since I've been with BT I've had one dropout over what could be a 3-4 year period now,when I was with VM I could have 3 or 4x 20 minute dropouts a day.

Soldato
5G won't be the end of fixed line broadband. Fixed line broadband will have to lower prices to compete with 5G

5G home broadband will be a hammer blow to fixed line, the costs involved in providing the latter will be much higher than 5G so the margin for price cuts won’t be that great.

That's the great thing about wireless technologies, once you've made the initial investment signing up subscribers has a very low cost. Just think about the amount of investment it will require to put a fiber into every house in the UK, it's will be mind boggling.

At this point I think we should forget "fiber into every home" and throw all the investment in complete 5G coverage, while that investment won't be "chicken feed" it certainly better to invest in a technology that in the ascendance

Last edited:
Soldato

Called them up

Offer which I have accepted but have a 14day cooling off period

Upgrade to 200mb (up from 150mb)
Same phone

For £39 per month for 12 months. This was the first line retention she passed me through to. First offered £45 I said no then put me on hold then offered £39 which I’ve accepted.

Happy with the discount and upgrade, I’m guessing if you actually cancel and give the 30 days notice will be even better?

Soldato
Knocked another £3.50 off for 12 months bringing it to £35.50 per month and said if i call back after 12 months they will apply the same discount and will always get that same price.

So phone & 200mb for £35.50 which i guess is decent.

Explained works out about the same as the new customer deal considering they have to pay a set up fee and something about a double bill for the first month and their price will go up after 12months.

Plus the cheeky git called me out about switching as the next fastest provider only offer like 67mb in my area and pointed out that im using around 2TB a month :D

Back
Top Bottom