Projector Issue (beam of light off screen?)

Soldato
Hello,

Recently upgraded my projector to a Optoma UHD51, really pleased with it. However, I've noticed it seems to project some light to the left and bottom of the screen?
I can't explain it very well so included some pictures, the "bar" is really noticeable in dark scenes, I originally thought it was simply projecting some of the image over the edge of screen, but the test pattern seems to show this is something different.

As you'll see the screen is not set up professionally! Can anyone explain whats going on, is it an issue or have a messed up the set up?

Any advice appreciated.

Soldato
How bizarre... it's shape and position suggests it's coming form inside the projector but have you tried casting a shadow with your hand/finger and following it back to the source?

If it's definitely coming from inside the projector I'd be returning it for a replacement - that's an artefact that should never be caused by changing any of the user adjustable settings (i.e. keystone, lens shift, focus)

Soldato
OP
I can cast a shadow, confident it's coming from the projector, I've emailed RicherSounds with the pictures (this morning), not had a response yet, but based on your comments and my thoughts think I'll be returning it for a replacement...

Anyone else ever seen anything like it?

Cheers,

Soldato
My sony projector does this,on also on the left side.

Nothing to indicate it's not working properly.i don't see it in general useage

Soldato
It’s possibly the faux 4K DLP chipset, as on these particular models they exhibit an additional light border, that in theory should be nigh on unnoticeable in actual use.

The newer chipsets have resolved this issue (iirc from the 2019 projectors, e.g. the new Benz W2700)

Soldato
OP
Not had anything back form RS's...will give them a call later.

Anyone know if I'm entitled to a swap, bit concerned they might send it away to Optoma...really don't want to nut have it for weeks! (first world problems)

I've had it less than a week and highlighted the problem to RS within a few days...

Soldato
OP
Purchased in store (Stockport), spoke to RS's earlier (emailed them the pictures) requested and have been offered a straight swap without any fuss...that's good enough for me

Cheers all,

Soldato
OP
Don’t forget to let us know if the swap fixes the problem!

Swapped the UHD51 on Saturday, was actually given a UHD51a (same projector just has Alexa), didn't notice until I got home. However, the same issue is present...Not sure what to do now, very happy with PJ and I can live with the issue, if I was 100% sure a swap would fix it I'd take it back, but as this is two different PJ's with the same issue I'm not sure if another swap would fix it.

decisions, decisions...

I know this sounds daft, but I think a slither of black tape over a little of the lens (obviously not physically on the lens) would fix this...is that as ridiculous as it sounds?

(great service from RS's Stockport, everyone I've spoke to has been really knowledgeable and helpful)

Soldato
OP
I'm unsure what to do, the new one is worse than the one i took back...from reading it seems a issue with all the chips used on this price bracket of projectors (plus you currently have to sacrifice 3D for no light boarder).

Soldato
OP
I am tempted to switch it for another model...wrote to RS's, will see what they say.

Buy the W2700 and have done with it.

I think I ruled out the W2700 due to the throw distance, but will double check.

Definitely don't get this on the UHD300X (and I've had two of them).

Don't know much about the UHD300X, but at a glance it looks like it doesn't have 3D?

Thanks for the suggestions, well worth considering.

Soldato
I get an extremely faint light border on my UHD40 (which as I said before is simply a quirk of the tech, not a defect per se).

I'd suggest looking for a newer DLP projector (or a true 4k one) if you can't live with it.

IIRC the Benq W2700 actually has a good short throw on it...

Soldato
OP
I get an extremely faint light border on my UHD40 (which as I said before is simply a quirk of the tech, not a defect per se).

I'd suggest looking for a newer DLP projector (or a true 4k one) if you can't live with it.

IIRC the Benq W2700 actually has a good short throw on it...

starting to think a swap for the benq is a good idea, the throw distance problem i'd have is it would't go far enough back...don't think it can be as far away as the optoma can and produce a 100" (i'll check later)

do you have the benq / seen it up and running, recommend it?

cheers

Back
Top Bottom