PayPal or credit card for online shopping?

Soldato
I was wondering if either method offers more protection while shopping online? I usually use a credit card but Ive seen a few posts on here where people have suggested using PayPal instead?

Thanks, Mark

Soldato
It's not just the protection but it's also a security issue, say you bought from 12 sites using their own gateways, that's 12 sites which could potentially be compromised. I guess less of an issue these days since there's probably only a few PG's only wide use.

Last edited:
Soldato
Credit card for purchases over £100, PayPal for under but still fine for larger orders if you're possibly going to claim within 90 days for quality/delivery issues.

Soldato
If only PayPal did PayPal credit...

They should start it and maybe even offer interest free on purchases over £100 for 4 months!

Caporegime
PayPal is better than it was; but you're still better dealing directly via your bank where you get a whole load of legal protections.

Honestly, I don't really understand why anyone uses PayPal to pay for anything these days. For a while it provided a cheap means to take payment and so it was useful as you could pay people that you couldn't through other means, but is that the case at all anymore?

Commissario
I'd say a credit card, via paypal for sites you either don't trust fully or you only expect to use once or twice.

I use two different credit cards online, one purely for a very limited number of stores (3 that I use on a regular basis), and one that I use for other stores, although that one is also linked to Paypal so I can use that when it's an option and I'm not expecting to be buying from the site on a regular basis.

IIRC credit cards when used directly offer far better protection against things going wrong, as required by law than Paypal which can be very hit and miss as it's largely down to their internal policies.

Soldato
Paypal have been fine for me. Ordered all my white goods and paid with paypal, dont actually have a credit card so its either paypal or debit (basically the same as money comes straight out)

mjt

mjt

Soldato
I use my Amex through PayPal. Gets around vendors who don't take Amex, and offers double protection. A bit like double bagging I guess?

Back
Top Bottom