• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Navi 23 ‘NVIDIA Killer’ GPU Rumored to Support Hardware Ray Tracing, Coming Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I hope you are right man. I really do!

Won't catch me holding my breath though :p

Really ain't sure myself, RDNA is a step forward but RDNA 2 will have to be another good jump if AMD are to compete. The smart money is still on Nvidia holding a decent lead as there power use is still so much better using an older node. This gives them the abilty to bring out much bigger chips and scale things up compared to AMD.

Permabanned
It was more expensive than a gtx980ti and way behind in performance, had less vram and literally had no overclocking headroom which the gtx980ti had in spades making the performance gap even bigger. Pretty much in every way the gtx980ti was better hence why the Fury x was a horrible card. Maybe if it had been cheaper than a gtx980ti i might have thought better of it. It really had nothing going for it compared to the competition at the time.

Hi, You've got a point in that it was out gunned by the 980ti but it wasn't more expensive, they both had a $650 release price which wasn't great but there you go, They only made one type of Fury X so any price gouging was on the sellers or as I remember the brand, as an example ASUS added more than £100 to the price of their Fury X, I think Gigabyte was another.

Permabanned
Heard Nvidia killer with the 290X, Then the Fury X, Then Vega 64, All disappointments for the "killer" claims AMD made prior to release like "poor volta" etc... I'll believe it when I see it.

A lot of false hype came under Mr Koduri's tenure & he purposely played a part in legitimizing fake tech news site WCCFTech because they made up stories that created false hype for AMD products like the 980ti killing RX480 story. With him gone things have been different under Ms Su. Some sites still make grandious claims on slow news days but I don't think they get the same response from RTG as they did back then.

Look at the difference with the 14nm & 7nm Vega's. Under Raj Koduri the Vega 64 marketing claimed clock speeds that couldn't be matched unless you spent ages undervolting & overclocking your card, I know this as I went through 4 different models & they all struggled to go beyond the claimed speeds even overclocked,
Then Mr Koduri got fired (Yes I 100% believe he was fired but that's another debate) & Lisa Su took over temporarily until a replacement was found,
Under Ms Su the Radeon VII released & this time Ms Su told us the core clock speed was "Up to 1800mhz" which it seems is a very conservative number,
These claims were opposites of each other, we saw Raj Koduri burning RTG's consumer trust & Lisa Su working to restore some & now we get to see how Mr Wang does things.

Permabanned
more news by speculation, I think we should ban WccfTech references. They would claim rumour of 3000 Ampere to include a free goat with hay for a year if they thought people would click on it

I wish we could, I hate the fact that the WCCF Tech site built itself a fan base through false news stories & grossly exaggerated ones, It felt like there was a WCCF/Koduri tag team of disinformation for a while.

On a funnier note did anyone see the Ronnie O'sullivan American Hustle show last week? Ronnie was given a VR headset to try out virtual snooker & using the headset and controllers he went in to do a shot expecting to lean on the virtual table & fell flat on his face, that cracked me up. :D

Last edited:
Associate
Jensen Huang was seen today carrying a marker pen... It’s been suggested that the 3000 series is close to release and he maybe signing the first batch of 100 himself! Stay tuned for more information.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Did anyone else manage to pick up a MSI 2080 Ti Sea Hawk that went on sale for around £730 elsewhere before stock run out?

I still did not bother, as soon the 3070 will offer more for less, who wants old Turing tech at this point now when we all know the brand new shiny is around the corner :D

Associate
I would love to own another AMD card but since my 295X2's they've offered nothing compelling. I'd have considered 5700XT crossfire but crossfire is no longer supported. I find it hard to believe
AMD are going come up with anything to beat the 2080ti any time soon but we need MUCH better GPUs for the games we're getting now. When a flagship card (2080ti) can't run games like RDR2
4K with ultra settings at 60fps (without ANY MSAA!) it means we need a great leap forward. Hopefully Intel will help chivvy things along but Nvidia have been sitting on their hands as there's no competition
and we need someone to shake them out of their greedy lazy complacency.

Soldato
Nice load of rubbish there Jacky.

Console ports are always appallingly coded to start with, so it's hardly an accurate representation of how much GPU horsepower "we need". We don't need GPU horsepower, we need game devs to actually give two ***** about their product, actually code the thing properly for all platforms they intend to release on and generally do a proper job. Oh wait, PC gaming is a niche market and all the money to be made is in consoles, so the PC Master Race is never gonna get a fair deal.

Plus, I'm pretty sure the 99.999% of PC gamers are perfectly happy playing RDR2 at 1080p on their RX 570s and GTX 1060s, y'know where it's affordable and sensible. Nobody cares about 4K 60fps at ultra settings. It's a niche within a niche within a niche and there is no money to be made from it, so no vendor bothers to actually make anything for it, or push the envelope.

AMD certainly don't care about the flagship ultra high-end because their money is better spent crushing the market sectors that actually see sales, rather than getting into a dick swinging contest with Nvidia over who can produce the best PC gaming card that only 5 idiots will buy (no offense, @Kaapstad :p ). And Nvidia don't care about ultra smooth 4K gaming because they can make much more money by convincing their idiot fanbase that real-time reflections on a puddle is worth £1,200 and a 50% performance hit.

I would agree though that AMD aren't beating the 2080 Ti for a while, but that's more likely because of a choice, not a barrier. There is no money to be made from bleeding-edge halo products, so why invest money you don't have into it?

Associate
Nice load of rubbish there Jacky.

Console ports are always appallingly coded to start with, so it's hardly an accurate representation of how much GPU horsepower "we need". We don't need GPU horsepower, we need game devs to actually give two ***** about their product, actually code the thing properly for all platforms they intend to release on and generally do a proper job. Oh wait, PC gaming is a niche market and all the money to be made is in consoles, so the PC Master Race is never gonna get a fair deal.

Plus, I'm pretty sure the 99.999% of PC gamers are perfectly happy playing RDR2 at 1080p on their RX 570s and GTX 1060s, y'know where it's affordable and sensible. Nobody cares about 4K 60fps at ultra settings. It's a niche within a niche within a niche and there is no money to be made from it, so no vendor bothers to actually make anything for it, or push the envelope.

AMD certainly don't care about the flagship ultra high-end because their money is better spent crushing the market sectors that actually see sales, rather than getting into a dick swinging contest with Nvidia over who can produce the best PC gaming card that only 5 idiots will buy (no offense, @Kaapstad :p ). And Nvidia don't care about ultra smooth 4K gaming because they can make much more money by convincing their idiot fanbase that real-time reflections on a puddle is worth £1,200 and a 50% performance hit.

I would agree though that AMD aren't beating the 2080 Ti for a while, but that's more likely because of a choice, not a barrier. There is no money to be made from bleeding-edge halo products, so why invest money you don't have into it?
Just out of curiosity which bit is rubbish? Or is it all rubbish oh wise one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom