• No

Votes: 286 75.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 49 12.9%

• Total voters

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
There will be a handful of yes's and the rest will be no. Lol.

Lets see how the launch goes, but they should have had a lot more titles ready. It is disappointing already. Will see where they are in a years time.

Soldato
Two things would have made me give this a go:
  • Steam library compatibility
  • (Good) exclusives or early access - I'd be annoyed by this but it would also work to make me try Stadia out
Without those I just can't see me being tempted to pay full RRP for older titles unless the reviews on performance in the real world are better than what I've read in the preview articles.

Associate
So having wanted to leave it until last nights AMA, I decided to cancel my Founders Edition.

While I've fought the good battle trying to remain positive in regards to Stadia (and certainly still think it's the future) and what it will bring to the gaming industry, I feel I've been misled on what this actually was. It was never promoted/advertised as a beta which now after last night, it essentially is. I fully expected to have the Controller/Chromecast on the 19th which is what the pre-order specified. I certainly didn't expect to be told that I'll be only be playing on a PC/Mac once I receive a code on the day my order ships, which could be a week after launch. A lack of transparency regarding pricing - how can you a week before launch not tell people what you're going to be charging?

Such a shame as I think it could be awesome, but I'm not down for being a beta tester and Google's awful PR/Marketing team ultimately made my decision.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
So having wanted to leave it until last nights AMA, I decided to cancel my Founders Edition.

While I've fought the good battle trying to remain positive in regards to Stadia (and certainly still think it's the future) and what it will bring to the gaming industry, I feel I've been misled on what this actually was. It was never promoted/advertised as a beta which now after last night, it essentially is. I fully expected to have the Controller/Chromecast on the 19th which is what the pre-order specified. I certainly didn't expect to be told that I'll be only be playing on a PC/Mac once I receive a code on the day my order ships, which could be a week after launch. A lack of transparency regarding pricing - how can you a week before launch not tell people what you're going to be charging?

Such a shame as I think it could be awesome, but I'm not down for being a beta tester and Google's awful PR/Marketing team ultimately made my decision.
Glad you have come to your senses :p

It is never a good idea to fight any battles for Google. Not to mention their horrendous track record with shutting down projects that do not work out very quickly.

As I said before and you was not having it, this is a wait and see type of thing. If in 3-4 years time they are still around and going strong then I may reevaluate. Each to ethir own though. But I never understood why anyone would defend Stadia before it is even released.

Associate
Glad you have come to your senses :p

It is never a good idea to fight any battles for Google. Not to mention their horrendous track record with shutting down projects that do not work out very quickly.

As I said before and you was not having it, this is a wait and see type of thing. If in 3-4 years time they are still around and going strong then I may reevaluate. Each to ethir own though. But I never understood why anyone would defend Stadia before it is even released.

It was never about defending Google/Stadia though. I still like the Stadia concept and had there been more transparency from Google regarding deliveries and the other bits and pieces that I deemed important after last nights AMA then I'd still have the pre-order. But it is what it is.

Man of Honour

Welcome to Google product launches. They're often like this.

I have no doubt that this will be the standard in the future either, but right now it's a decade too early.

Personally I'll see where things stand when the next consoles launch, although having 100 plus games on game pass for £40 a year for the next 3 years is probably going to make me lean towards an Xbox.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
It was never about defending Google/Stadia though. I still like the Stadia concept and had there been more transparency from Google regarding deliveries and the other bits and pieces that I deemed important after last nights AMA then I'd still have the pre-order. But it is what it is.
That is the impression I got anyways. As for the tech and concept, it is nothing new. I remember when OnLive did it like nearly a decade ago.

Soldato
I think they are ahead of the curve. My feeling is game streaming / subscription services will be the future of gaming.

All other entertainment content has gone that way and if banks of servers can give a good user experience providing the user has decent internet then I think it will take off. It has tons of benefits.

My main concerns, though, relate to user autonomy and the loss of choice of when and how to game - but to be fair we are part way there anyway.

I reckon in 20 years time (maybe sooner) we will all be consuming gaming via this type of service. Well if Trump hasnt wiped us out in a nuclear holocaust that is!! :p

Caporegime
OP
I reckon in 20 years time (maybe sooner) we will all be consuming gaming via this type of service. Well if Trump hasnt wiped us out in a nuclear holocaust that is!! :p

I mostly agree but what will become of the PC? I don't think PC gaming will disappear. The main consoles might become extinct but as long as you need a PC to develop the games on, it makes no sense not to release on there.

Soldato
I mostly agree but what will become of the PC? I don't think PC gaming will disappear. The main consoles might become extinct but as long as you need a PC to develop the games on, it makes no sense not to release on there.

That depends. If all mainstream gaming content is created for streaming services PC gamers will consume it in that way and if it costs a tenner a month to play 4k games at decent frame rates who is going to realistically drop £2k on a graphics card to play the same content?

The (albeit tiny) tin foil hat in me thinks this movement to centralised processing power is designed to reduce the market availibilty of high tech equipment to the masses. You increase centralised control of user experiences and content and make it very convenient to consume and at the same time decrese risk of cyber attack because the componentey to launch such attacks is simply not available to the public. Even productivity packages like office will run on cloud based systems in 20 years. Windows 10 already has some dubious features and removes chunks of user autonomy. Office 365 is already a sub service and uses online interfaces. In future all we will need is a monitor, mouse, keyboard and internet connection.

We will al be 'plugged in' to the information grid and existence 'offline'will become increasingly difficult.

But thats all a conversation for another day!

Caporegime
OP
LOL, now half an hour after you wrote your post, Microsoft announce Game Pass games are coming to Project xCloud. So there you have your all-you-can-eat Netflix for Games service which surely knock the wind out of Stadia.

Back
Top Bottom