***The Official Manly Shaving Thread***

Soldato
Evening All,

Looking to buy my dad a shaving set for xmas. Looking to spend around £30 for safety razor, brush and soap.

This would be his first so wondering if peeps could help with the choice?

Many thanks

Soldato
Evening All,

Looking to buy my dad a shaving set for xmas. Looking to spend around £30 for safety razor, brush and soap.

This would be his first so wondering if peeps could help with the choice?

Many thanks
Love my Edwin Jagger DE89. Amazon have a deal on them for £15 from £25 at the mo.

Soldato

It's very good but the Edwin Jagger DE89 (above) is a better quality razor (solid stainless iirc Edit: correction - it's not but it's still very good quality) with a solid reputation and a bargain at £15.

For a brush, I'd go for either a Semogue or a Razorock from here. https://connaughtshaving.com/brush.html
They are all good brushes for the money and I have one of each. The Semogues are mostly (if not entirely) made from boar bristles whereas the Razorocks are synthetic. Boar brushes need to be washed before use (they can smell a bit at first). Choose one that best suits your father's taste. (Omega brushes are also popular, good value boar brushes but I don't have any experience with them.)

That doesn't leave much for soap so just pick up a Palmolive shaving soap stick (50p-£1 at Tesco). It's a good soap that'll do him until you buy him a posh soap and lathering bowl/scuttle for his birthday. :)

(If you can stretch a bit more for some soap get this one, but only if you're dad lives in an area with fairly soft water otherwise he might have trouble lathering it. https://connaughtshaving.com/mitchellsrefill.html)

Edit: Here's the Edwin Jagger DE89 deal on Amazon. Blimey, that really is a steal.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks for the advice guys.

I have taken a punt on the wilkinson one as it is a steal at that price.

May need to order for Edwin Jagger also at that price as it seems to get some good reviews.

Soldato
Very nice, I'm sure he'll be very pleased with it.

I had a change this morning and used a razor I don't use very often: a fairly hard to come by 1930's made in England Gillette RFB ("raised flat bottom") New. A really nice razor and one of the few that I prefer using with its standard, lightweight handle.

Soldato
So after a bit of help...

I've been DE shaving for about 8 months now, but I'm still really struggling to get a close shave on my neck & jawline without bleeding (normally ends up looking like I've stabbed myself with a wire brush!).

I use the following:
Merkur 34C
Derby Blades
Taylor of Old Bond St Shaving Cream

I pretty much always do a 3-pass shave (I find that a 2-pass shave still feels like day old stubble in places)

When I started DE shaving, I bought the recommended blade sample pack, and tried each of the blades in the pack. There were a couple I really didn't like, but the majority I couldn't tell much difference so I decided to stick with the Derby blades as they're cheap, and seemed as good as any others in the pack.

Does anyone have any recommendations on what I can do to get a better shave, without cutting myself? I've been wondering if I need a more aggressive razor, so it catches more in the 1st & 2nd pass. Does that sound reasonable? Any recommendations?
I've been DE shaving for a few years and consider myself to have fairly resilient skin, but using Derby blades I'd definitely get irritation on the neck with 3 passes.

Make sure you really pay attention to thoroughly lathering the neck area before each pass, and a sharper blade with a slow smooth motion should do the job over 2 passes, WTG and ATG.

Don
Make sure you really pay attention to thoroughly lathering the neck area before each pass, and a sharper blade with a slow smooth motion should do the job over 2 passes, WTG and ATG.

Pretty much this - 3 passes is a waste of time with how my stubble grows - WTG and ATG are all that I need. Getting your face wet enough made a huge difference, and pre-shave/beard oil is also useful. (So get your face wet with flannel etc, then massage shave oil in, leave for a few minutes and then a thick lather).

Again, Derby blades seem to work for most people, but I found they were nowhere near sharp enough to get a good shave without using some pressure and therefore causing irritation. Whilst I wouldn't go as far as say Feather blades (Which are regarded as one of the Sharpest), I would try something like Personna Platinum if you haven't already.

Soldato

This is a very good starter set for the money, I tried the razor (it was £12.50 in Tesco a while ago) but found it not as good as my other razors Muhle R89 (This is virtually the same razor as the Edwin Jagger DE89), Merkur 38C Barberpole and Merkur Futur so gave it my brother.

I would say he can start with this and then upgrade as he wishes, there's literally a never ending amount of products to try and he can experiment as much or as little as he wishes.

On another note got back from Amsterdam yesterday where we were in a chemist looking for something for the missus when we went down the shaving aisle and I found alum blocks for 2 euros, bargain as the ones I've been getting are £6 each from Amazon, bought 5 :D

Soldato
Need a little advice looking after my short length bead/stubble.

I like to a keep a box shape beard (think that is what it's called) and not particularly long. However, I get the usual itchy feeling and also it's quite rough.

Have a new GF who likes a little facial hair but not keen on the rash. I don't want a shiny oily beard. Just a nice soft matte look.

Not sure whether to go for a cream or an oil etc

Associate
Yes, DE shaving is a money saver and does a better job.

You might next time look at the quality synthetic brushes now available - they are excellent.

Are you in UK, Stoner? Your use of the past participle "gotten" suggests you may be North American, but if in UK Google "Connaught Shaving" for a mail order firm offering good prices. I have used them for years but have no personal connection with them.

I am indeed English :) and thanks for the tip :)

Stoner81.

Associate
I've been DE shaving for a few years and consider myself to have fairly resilient skin, but using Derby blades I'd definitely get irritation on the neck with 3 passes.

Mekur 34c is slightly aggressive when starting out DE shaving.

make sure to use a good pre-shave oil before you later, this works wonders. failing that, swapping over to a EJ DE89 could be considered

Associate
Need a little advice looking after my short length bead/stubble.

I like to a keep a box shape beard (think that is what it's called) and not particularly long. However, I get the usual itchy feeling and also it's quite rough.

Have a new GF who likes a little facial hair but not keen on the rash. I don't want a shiny oily beard. Just a nice soft matte look.

Not sure whether to go for a cream or an oil etc

Both! Oil keeps the beard nourished and the skin from getting itchy/flaky and balm is what you need for keeping it looking tidy. I use Vines Vintage Beard Oil and Bull Dog Balm.

The Vines Oil smells amazing and the Bull Dog Balm is a fairly neutral smell. You can spritz some aftershave/cologne on after to really make the beard smell good.

Shawrey

Soldato
Both! Oil keeps the beard nourished and the skin from getting itchy/flaky and balm is what you need for keeping it looking tidy. I use Vines Vintage Beard Oil and Bull Dog Balm.

The Vines Oil smells amazing and the Bull Dog Balm is a fairly neutral smell. You can spritz some aftershave/cologne on after to really make the beard smell good.

Shawrey

Thanks.

I purchased:
The Miller's Beard Shampoo Bar.
Old Joll's Mandarin, Cedar Wood and Juniper Beard Oil.

Like both products although I do find my beard a little itchy still and not quite as soft as I'd like - I don't want to grow mine too long and I tend to trim it ala Tony Stark :)

Associate
Thanks.

I purchased:
The Miller's Beard Shampoo Bar.
Old Joll's Mandarin, Cedar Wood and Juniper Beard Oil.

Like both products although I do find my beard a little itchy still and not quite as soft as I'd like - I don't want to grow mine too long and I tend to trim it ala Tony Stark :)

What are you washing your beard with? I've found that normal Hair shampoos and conditioners are not concentrated enough for beard hair (atleast by my own trials). Moved on to using L'Oreal Men Expert Beard Shampoo which is a great product but expensive so swapped to using Bull Dog Shampoo and Conditioner and that performs great for the price and only need a 10p size amount for my 4 months growth. Beard is always soft and easily tamed after.

EDIT: Doh! didn't see you had a Beard Shampoo Bar. You might just be missing Conditioner tbf!

Shawrey

Soldato
What are the razors people are using? I'm looking to change my Merkur 34C in which I use Feather Double Edged blades, I've had the razor a long time now and I'd like something new. My only complaint with this razor is I feel the handle is a little on the short side.

Also use an Edwin Jagger Best Badger Brush Medium that could do with being replaced. So I'm looking for items that could be seen as an upgrade to these. Price wise, maybe up to £100.

Soldato
What are the razors people are using? I'm looking to change my Merkur 34C in which I use Feather Double Edged blades, I've had the razor a long time now and I'd like something new. My only complaint with this razor is I feel the handle is a little on the short side.

Also use an Edwin Jagger Best Badger Brush Medium that could do with being replaced. So I'm looking for items that could be seen as an upgrade to these. Price wise, maybe up to £100.

Edit: Ignore, just remembered the 34C is a 2 piece.

Have you considered a EJ DE89? Similar aggression to the 34C but 3-piece and available with a choice of handles (which you can always change later if you like).

Last edited:
Associate

Merkur 39C Slant long handle is a great razor.

Soldato
I have a Merkur 38C Barberpole which as good long razor, also have a Merkur Futur but the handle isn't that long.

A Muhle R89 Grande has a long handle and a similar head to the 34C but with a longer handle

Back
Top Bottom