PayPal or credit card for online shopping?

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Everything gets purchased on AMEX wherever possible, cashback or flights depending on which way you roll. Fantastic customer service as well in my experience.

If your not using a cashback credit card your doing something wrong tbh, On track for £600 cashback this year :)

Soldato
I use my Amex through PayPal. Gets around vendors who don't take Amex, and offers double protection. A bit like double bagging I guess?

I thought this was established not to be the case, i.e. the credit card vendor would only deal directly with the merchant, but because you've initiated a 3rd part payment service, you'd have to take it up with them.

Edit: didn't notice @tom_e had already mentioned this.

Soldato
is a credit card really that good for protection though
if you buy something for say £200 on a credit card and you cannot get a refund, so you do not pay your credit card bill
does the credit card company then step in and try to resolve? or are they just going to say you bought it so you deal with it, we want our £200
has anyone any experience?

Last edited:
Caporegime
PayPal is better than it was; but you're still better dealing directly via your bank where you get a whole load of legal protections.

Honestly, I don't really understand why anyone uses PayPal to pay for anything these days. For a while it provided a cheap means to take payment and so it was useful as you could pay people that you couldn't through other means, but is that the case at all anymore?

Its great when you don't have your cc details to hand

Soldato
if you buy something for say £200 on a credit card and you cannot get a refund, are you do not pay your credit card bill
does the credit card company then step in and try to resolve? or are they just going to say you bought it so you deal with it, we want our £200

Always pay your CC bill or you will end up in financial trouble.

Soldato
if you buy something for say £200 on a credit card and you cannot get a refund, so you do not pay your credit card bill

No they're pretty good (certainly AMEX are) and will put the charge on hold until it's resolved.

I thought this was established not to be the case, i.e. the credit card vendor would only deal directly with the merchant, but because you've initiated a 3rd part payment service, you'd have to take it up with them.

Edit: didn't notice @tom_e had already mentioned this.

Same with the Curve card and part of why i stopped using mine.

Soldato
You raise a complaint with your card provider/bank and if they agree with you, you will get the money back. (Services not provided etc.). If they can't resolve it then they will kick it up to Visa, MC or Amex etc.

There's a very good process in place for credit card protection, hence why I would always use one online. Paypal does not offer the same protection.

Back
Top Bottom