• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD on the road to recovery.

Associate
AMD were on the back foot as soon as Conroe came out but as bledd says it great to see them back in the game after all these years (especially at the high end).

Looking at those Mindshare numbers AMD's older 2600x and 2600 are selling almost the same number chips as the current entire Intel line up.

its really impressive, they are good chips for the price.

Permabanned
It isn't possible to make a counter-argument to whatever thought process causes you to opine that Intel might be going easy on AMD to support their operations :D

Well, before 2017, we had only one option - intel CPUs. After 2017 or better to say after July 2019 we have only one option - AMD CPUs.
When will we have normal competition like back in the days with price wars and new SKUs launching every month/three months to take the top spot?

TrM

TrM

Associate
Well, before 2017, we had only one option - intel CPUs. After 2017 or better to say after July 2019 we have only one option - AMD CPUs.
When will we have normal competition like back in the days with price wars and new SKUs launching every month/three months to take the top spot?

we still have amd and intel to chose from now though! You have said in many posts and used to be in your sig on the forum you own a 2500u and even amd 3000 series hasn’t forced you to upgrade.

the intel lineup is still strong it’s the pricing that is not. If i9 was closer to 3800x as a rrp and i7 moved to 300 pounds. But both sides have strong CPU’s currently. Amd are not completely ahead of intel. Whilst I think the 3900x was a instant but for me due to cores and performance doesn’t mean I don’t want i9 9900k clock speeds etc

both sides amd and intel have both put out really good products but it’s intel move now when the 10 series comes out with up to 10 cores and improved this and that will we know who is were and when :) I can’t see amd doing anything drastic next year with the 4000 series will be a small upgrade. If intel sort out there pricing and there own supply issues the next few years will be the most interesting times since early pentuim days

Permabanned
AMD Powers Europe’s Most Powerful Supercomputer Ever
https://wccftech.com/amd-powers-uks-latest-supercomputer-with-over-748000-zen-2-cores/

ARCHER2 will deliver over 11X the computational throughput of its predecessor ARCHER. The new supercomputer features :
  • 28 PFLOP/s peak performance
  • 5,848 compute nodes, each with dual AMD Rome 64 core CPUs at 2.2GHz, for 748,544 cores in total and 1.57 PBytes of total system memory
  • 23x Shasta Mountain direct liquid cooled cabinets
  • 14.5 PBytes of Lustre work storage in 4 file systems
  • 1.1 PByte all-flash Lustre BurstBuffer file system
  • 1+1 PByte home file system in Disaster Recovery configuration using NetApp FAS8200
  • Cray next-generation Slingshot 100Gbps network in a diameter-three dragonfly topology, consisting of 46 compute groups, 1 I/O group and 1 Service group
  • Shasta River racks for management and post processing
  • Test and Development System (TDS) platform, to be installed in advance
  • Collaboration platform with 4 x compute nodes attached to 16 x Next Generation AMD GPUs

Why AMD Stock Could Surge after Its Q3 Earnings

Caporegime
OP
AMD Powers Europe’s Most Powerful Supercomputer Ever
https://wccftech.com/amd-powers-uks-latest-supercomputer-with-over-748000-zen-2-cores/

ARCHER2 will deliver over 11X the computational throughput of its predecessor ARCHER. The new supercomputer features :
  • 28 PFLOP/s peak performance
  • 5,848 compute nodes, each with dual AMD Rome 64 core CPUs at 2.2GHz, for 748,544 cores in total and 1.57 PBytes of total system memory
  • 23x Shasta Mountain direct liquid cooled cabinets
  • 14.5 PBytes of Lustre work storage in 4 file systems
  • 1.1 PByte all-flash Lustre BurstBuffer file system
  • 1+1 PByte home file system in Disaster Recovery configuration using NetApp FAS8200
  • Cray next-generation Slingshot 100Gbps network in a diameter-three dragonfly topology, consisting of 46 compute groups, 1 I/O group and 1 Service group
  • Shasta River racks for management and post processing
  • Test and Development System (TDS) platform, to be installed in advance
  • Collaboration platform with 4 x compute nodes attached to 16 x Next Generation AMD GPUs

Why AMD Stock Could Surge after Its Q3 Earnings

At $8,000 a piece that makes $93,568,000 worth of CPU's.

A nice little earner.

Associate
Yeah I saw this, bear in mind for such a large quantity of EPYC 64-core CPUs the gov will be paying a much cheaper, wholesale price but it'll still be a lot of money.

Permabanned
October 2019 CPU sales remain almost unchanged.

AMD Retains Chokehold In October At Germany’s Biggest Retailer
https://wccftech.com/amd-retains-chokehold-in-october-at-germanys-biggest-retailer-mindfactory-de/

October-AMD-Sales.png

Soldato
Yeah I saw this, bear in mind for such a large quantity of EPYC 64-core CPUs the gov will be paying a much cheaper, wholesale price but it'll still be a lot of money.
And money from that and other supercomputer projects should be still mostly coming and not included in current income.
After all money is usually paid when products are delivered/shipped, not when buying decisions/contracts are made.

And while certainly not get rich profit margin deals, next-gen consoles will no doubt also bring additional income starting from likely some time next summer.

On manufacturing side TSMC is investing heavily into new manufacturing nodes.
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/t...neers-for-3nm-research-and-development-center
So with also Samsung pushing agressively on semiconductor manufacturing front Intel is going to have to work lot harder to avoid falling behind in manufacturing.
https://www.businessinsider.com/samsung-investing-in-semiconductor-space-2019-4?r=US&IR=T

Soldato
I've started having some real flip flop moments as to whether to cash in on some gains with the share price today.... had a great run from around 17 dollars with a little exit at 30 and re-entry at 26.

On the one hand I think AMD are in a great place at the moment, and are going to have a great couple of years at least. On the other hand their high P/E ratio suggests a lot of good news and optimism already priced in and I'm concerned about the wider picture with a resurgent pound (given the shares are denominated in dollars) and economic slowdown/recession both threatening the gains they've made for me.

What are any of you AMD shareholders doing at the moment?

Associate
I've started having some real flip flop moments as to whether to cash in on some gains with the share price today.... had a great run from around 17 dollars with a little exit at 30 and re-entry at 26.

On the one hand I think AMD are in a great place at the moment, and are going to have a great couple of years at least. On the other hand their high P/E ratio suggests a lot of good news and optimism already priced in and I'm concerned about the wider picture with a resurgent pound (given the shares are denominated in dollars) and economic slowdown/recession both threatening the gains they've made for me.

What are any of you AMD shareholders doing at the moment?

Purchased at 12, still holding. SOOOO much headroom for all the different areas of the market they are pushing into..... overall economy worries me a little, but AMD itself? Very comfortable heading into 2020.

Associate
Here's hoping AMD can use some of their CPU money to fund their anemic Radeon department.

To be fair, they're competitive Low-Mid range. Most people only want them to be competitive in the high end to drive down Nvidias prices. But instead of lowering the price of the 2070s they bring back the 2070. If that isnt a big FU from nvidia to the consumer i dont know what is.

Back
Top Bottom