***Death Stranding***

Soldato
The first couple of hours are weird but awesome, for anyone on the fence I'd suggest picking it up (second hand most likely as there will be plenty of people who it doesn't click for) as it does feel quite unique and at almost 40 with 30 years of gaming, I'll take something different very happily.

Associate
Well, just mind that it has TONS of traversal/balancing with stealth/combat/managing stuff thrown in and lots of lenghty cutscenes. It's also weird, I can't recommend it to anyone like a standard game, it's going to be really divisive with some people outright hating it.

Cheers, starting to sound like after some initial effort it gets better. It is right up my street in some respects. Might jump in tonight... ;)

Soldato
Went from a steep slope with strong winds straight into a timefall full of BTs, my boots were half-worn already and the spare ones attached to my suit were destroyed by the rain so I had to move as fast as I could while stopping and holding my breath to see where the BTs were. This game's pretty tense:p

Should've checked at a postbox on the way if some player perhaps donated a pair of boots:p

Soldato
Very minor spoilers, just one thing you obtain in chapter 3 but nothing major.

https://imgur.com/a/LGSySfM Gallery of my recent trip. The bottom photo is my new PS4 background, I am in AWE of this game... I will try to reach that snowy mountain soon.

(Copy image location on each image then paste into URL bar to see the full 4K images.)

https://uploadfiles.io/tgfqdtlx Short video of scenery, will need to download as don't have access to old phone so can't use Youtube, link is fine btw no dodgy business.

Soldato
Took out an entire MULE camp, got like 120kg of metals from them which I carried to an auto-paver using my newly acquired "legs":D

Also got tons of likes for left ladders, anchors and some of my signs, felt rewarding:p

This game has that "5 more minutes" factor, for better or worse.

Soldato
This game has that "5 more minutes" factor, for better or worse.

Yeah, it's not what you'd call "fun" much of the time but it's quite addictive and the social side is very well done (which is probably part of the addictiveness as we all crave other people's approval!).

It's certainly a different experience, the music is exceptionally well chosen, really does make those long trudges pass quicker and become almost meditative at times.

Soldato
Yeah, it's not what you'd call "fun" much of the time but it's quite addictive and the social side is very well done (which is probably part of the addictiveness as we all crave other people's approval!).

It's certainly a different experience, the music is exceptionally well chosen, really does make those long trudges pass quicker and become almost meditative at times.

Yes, as I've said a couple of times already, I can't exactly put my finger on why this can be tedious and fun at the same time. As you say, the social side plays a part in it for sure, the feeling of helping others and watching things grow is really rewarding. It has excellent music and presentation, very high production values as well and that also contributes. Maybe there's just something exciting in trudging through those landscapes with heavy cargo struggling for balance, caring for your equipment and avoiding dangers. There's something rewarding in those journeys, especially knowing that completing them gets you more resources/equipment/likes etc.

Sure, there's no pew pew every 5 mins nor big bombast explosions and it is based on repetitive walking but I somehow don't mind.
There's a lot of surrounding systems and details that you won't catch a glimpse of the entire thing on YT but at the same time I can't picture this becoming appreciated by the majority.

All games are repetitive at heart, it just boils down to liking a particular gameplay loop.

It's the weirdest thing I've played in years, tied with Nier Automata which landed on my list as one of the most memorable and clever gaming experiences ever, so I don't mind.

Soldato
Bought yesterday and about 2-3 hours in after being very on the fence...I have no idea why I like the game so far but I do even if everything about it would say it's boring. Very weird to describe or understand why lol. The story is very Kojima but it is engaging and the mechanics are oddly enjoyable. As many have suggested this will be very divisive but put me in the intrigued and enjoying it camp so far.

Soldato
Lost someone elses trike to a deep river and then me and my cargo were swept away, luckily hit a rock and scooped them up as they flowed down. Road from Lake Knot City to the next distribution centre is now fully built.

Associate
Spent a lot of time out on the road in the central region and managed to halve Sams stamina, which made things far tougher going even with upgrades. Its really cool to see the messages given about how other players are impacting/using your roads/bridges and helping with packages. I got caught unprepared a couple of nights ago (I'd not inverted my aim controls :mad: ) and there's now a rather large crater south of the first outpost... :rolleyes:

Glad I didn't sit this one out.

Back
Top Bottom