Scammed on PayPal/Shpock

Associate
So... recently thought I was getting a very slight bargain from a random seller on Shpock for a 2080ti second hand, or at least I thought I had.

I actually received a big pile of paper...yep proper scammed.
The guy had couriered me a massive pile of paper, presumably for the postage thing for PayPal. I'm going through the dispute process with them now which is taking its time and so far the dude has put an evidence claim in so I'm just hoping it falls in my court to get my money back.

Has anyone had similar experiences in the past?

Soldato
Shpock, Gumtree etc etc are well known for being cash on collection only sites.

Plenty of honest buyers and sellers trading via these mediums. Sadly a load of dishonest ones too.

I would suggest filing a police report on the non emergency number. They may not do anything, most likely won't, but at least you get a ref no. which is useful for PayPal and you never know if the seller/scammer is of interest already.

Associate
OP
Thanks, I've already raised with them and got a crime ref number. I also pay for PayPal via my AMEX so might be covered there if I lose this. So gutted. The thing is it wasn't even saving a massive deal probs 150ish off the RRP just thought I'd got a slight deal.

Soldato
Lol serves you right for being so naive, when will people learn?

Agreed - sounds harsh but totally correct.

Two things buying online ring true -
  • If it sounds too good to be true - it probably is
  • Shpock/Gumtree - Cash only sales - face to face.
It's not rocket science.....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Soldato
If you used Paypal goods and services and a credit card it doesn't really matter, you will not be out of pocket. Either Amex or Paypal will eat the loss, most likely Paypal.

Soldato
Why would anyone buy big ticket items on auction sites?

Always go to reputable places, then at least you have somewhere to send it back to if you have problems.

Caporegime
Hm, i would only use paypal on ebay or reputable retailer sites.

Using it on places like gumtree, Shpock etc is asking for trouble.

Associate
OP
Yeah I made a mistake, now going through the pain of trying to resolve. The purpose of the thread was to see if any others were stupid enough to do what I do and what the outcome was. I'll live and learn I guess and also become less naive.

Back
Top Bottom