Contaminated petrol courtesy of Tesco

Soldato
Has anyone experienced contaminated fuel before? My stomach sank when the car started juddering and all power started to fade. just glad I got the car home before it died. Honda have confirmed the petrol is contaminated and are replacing the fuel filter, fresh fuel with additive's etc.

I've contacted Tesco's customer services and they've a dedicated customer service team ringing me back in the next twenty four hours. I have the time, dates, transaction's and I imagine cctv footage of my car at the pumps. what are the chances of me successfully getting reimbursed for all work needed to fix my car and the inconvenience of paying out for having to use public transportation?

Soldato
You won't be the only one if it was the Tesco fuel at fault. Check local Facebook groups and ask about similar experiences.

Edit; how much is this all costing to fix plus associated costs?

Soldato
OP
I'm not very mechanically minded so please bare with me. Honda just ran a full diagnostics as protocol and came back to me with contaminated fuel, I pick the car up Monday so I'll ask for more details about what contaminate was found then. They did ask me if I had used a local petrol station as opposed to a chain. I used to only stick Shell in the pervious car and only switched to save a few pennies on Tesco's unleaded fuel for my new car, needless to say I'll be going back to Shell. Total cost including towing so far is £420 and to be fair I feel lucky considering some of the horror stories I've read about contaminated fuel causing thousands of pounds worth of damage.

I wish I kept Green Flag now. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Soldato
Honda just ran a full diagnostics as protocol and came back to me with contaminated fuel

Total cost including towing so far is £420
Sounds like they've plugged in the computer, found nothing obvious, charged you to change a few things,crossed their fingers it'll be fine.

I wouldn't be confident of getting anything from Tesco without something fairly concrete to prove that fuel was contaminated rather than the local dealer pouncing on an opportunity for profit.

Soldato
OP
Sounds like they've plugged in the computer, found nothing obvious, charged you to change a few things,crossed their fingers it'll be fine.

I wouldn't be confident of getting anything from Tesco without something fairly concrete to prove that fuel was contaminated rather than the local dealer pouncing on an opportunity for profit.
Hopefully the report from the fuel will say exactly what was wrong with it. I'll be surprised if I'm the only one that's been affected.

Associate
And I suffered some criticism when said I only use branded fuel. Always Shell. Never had a single problem.
Hope you get all sorted.
Also keep all the reports and paperwork provided by Honda. If related problems surface later, better careful than sorry.

Soldato
I remember when this happened years ago and there were loads of breakdowns. It was proven but they mugged people off unless they had a receipt. So always print the receipt :p

Soldato
And I suffered some criticism when said I only use branded fuel. Always Shell.
I've used Shell V Power Diesel for the last 10,000 miles since having a EGR value replaced after 50,000 miles of Tesco diesel. Not only is the petrol station the most convenient to me, but the discounts with the Shell Go App seem to pay for at least half the price difference to the regular stuff. I've noticed it doing far fewer DPF regens than there used to be. VAG 2.0 150TDI.

Soldato
I've used tesco fuel for 15 years/ 180k miles without fuel quality problems, but I guess it can happen.

I wonder what safeguards are in place to stop the dregs of the tanker getting into the forecourt tanks and the dregs of the forecourt tanks getting into your own fuel tank when you fill up?

Man of Honour
I've used Shell V Power Diesel for the last 10,000 miles since having a EGR value replaced after 50,000 miles of Tesco diesel. Not only is the petrol station the most convenient to me, but the discounts with the Shell Go App seem to pay for at least half the price difference to the regular stuff. I've noticed it doing far fewer DPF regens than there used to be. VAG 2.0 150TDI.

You use V Power diesel in a 2 litre Golf? Surely this is a complete waste of money.

Back
Top Bottom