• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

New or used (older) GPU?

Associate
OP
yeh that sounds good, let us know how you get on with it and im curious how much did you get it for? :)

I got it for £220 delivered in the end which is the cheapest I've found so far. Decent GTX 1080 cards are still fetching around £300 used.

I've not tested it yet though as it only arrived this morning just as I was leaving for work (and I'm still at work).

Associate
OP
I'm back from work and have now had a proper look at the graphics card.

I'm not so sure about it now. There appears to be patches of white corrosion to the aluminium heatsink and the copper heatpipes look tarnished (with a couple of green patches). Possible water damage? Or maybe used somewhere cold and damp? The PCB and backplate look fine from what I can see.

There's also some oily/greasy stuff along the bottom of the heatsink... I though it might be from one of the heatpads, but I've noticed one of the fans is grinding a bit when I move it. I'm starting to think it's dumped it's bearing fluid.

I've now messaged the seller and will see what he says. I'm not sure if I should keep it or not. It's deffo going to need a new 100mm fan and the heatsink will need a good clean to try and remove the white flaky crap and get the heat pipes looking good again (if possible). Seems like a bit too much effort though.

What do you guys think? I've not even tested it yet, but will do tomorrow.

Soldato
I suggest you send it back if you can. I'd say the same even if the card was in immaculate condition to be honest with you.

Spending £220 on a piece of used hardware without a warranty is a big risk. What if you start to get artifacts down the screen after 6 months? Your only option would be to throw it in the dustbin.

Id pay £100 for a lower end used GPU buy not £220. That amount of money would be best spent on something with a warranty.

Associate
OP
I've sent the card back and will probably have to wait ages for ebay & PayPal to sort the refund.

In the meantime I decided to spend more and just buy a new GPU. I pulled the trigger on a PowerColor Red Dragon RX 5700... It was between that and the Sapphire Pulse RX 5700. Seems the Powercolor edges out the sapphire when it comes to temps and noise.

Hopefully I've made a good purchase and at least it comes with a warranty :).

Soldato
I've sent the card back and will probably have to wait ages for ebay & PayPal to sort the refund.

In the meantime I decided to spend more and just buy a new GPU. I pulled the trigger on a PowerColor Red Dragon RX 5700... It was between that and the Sapphire Pulse RX 5700. Seems the Powercolor edges out the sapphire when it comes to temps and noise.

Hopefully I've made a good purchase and at least it comes with a warranty :).

dang major bummer m8 :(

the red dragon should be awesome i was between that and the pulse for a rx480 upgrade and im loving the pulse, the red dragon is supposed to be slightly better, plus the new warrantty etc :)

edit: i have a sound proofed case and i have not once heard the pulse but i heard my old reference 480 :)

Associate
OP
Well, it looks like this new Red Dragon RX 5700 is a disappointment too! The fan controller seems completely borked and it's not the first time I've had fan issues with a PowerColor product (last was an R9 290 with fans stuck at 30%).

It's hit or miss whether the fans actually bother to spin up at all! I've tried a couple of different driver versions and completely uninstalled previous drivers... Even using DDU too. I've tried manual and auto fan settings through Wattman and when the fans stop responding they show up as 65535rpm and don't get going again! I was playing The Outer Worlds for 5 mins and the GPU hit 95C, Memory hit 90C and the GPU hot spot reached 110C!! The fans had stopped spinning completely. I tried both the OC and silent modes using the BIOS switch on the card.. No difference. Infact, sometimes the fan would be running at 600-700rpm when they should be off below 60C.

The fan sensor reading in HWinfo would either go grey or completely disappear when the fans decide to not work... And this is when wattman shows the fans as 65535rpm when infact they're not spinning at all.

I guess it's RMA time?

Back
Top Bottom