ebay... it’s happened again :(

Soldato
OP
Ok just got this message

"Hi, as I said to you I brought this item for my son and I didn't realise that was a wrong one until I spoke to him. So I'm going to wait for the item and then open a case on ebay and return it. I'm sure I'll have the money back guaranteed. Sorry about this."

Just to give a little background to buyers "son" comment. Buyer sent me a message the day before asking if there was any thermal paste as he was buying it for his son.

I've come to terms with the fact I'm going to have to refund, am i best to tell buyer to just reject it and how long will it take to come back to me?

Soldato
No because chances are your just get a delivery guy that gives it to a neighbor as proof of delivery.

Just ask him to return it. You have to eat postage costs but ebay and paypal will refund any fees.

And dont BIN on items like this. As youv seen you get idiots just clicking without research. Also I never post ebay items next day, click that youv posted it in ebay but actually always wait 24 hours before then posting.

Soldato
OP
No because chances are your just get a delivery guy that gives it to a neighbor as proof of delivery.

Just ask him to return it. You have to eat postage costs but ebay and paypal will refund any fees.

And dont BIN on items like this. As youv seen you get idiots just clicking without research. Also I never post ebay items next day, click that youv posted it in ebay but actually always wait 24 hours before then posting.

Thank you, sounds like wise words I use BIN to cut out none paying bidders of which I used to get a lot of.

This might be a dumb question, so I say to the buyer “please return via 1st class signed for and I’ll refund you when it arrives” so does the refund happen automatically through eBay?

been ages since I’ve used and had to deal with this sort of issue

Soldato
How is it in anyway fair that the seller be out of pocket, even if only by a few quid, because some dumb **** can't be bothered to check what they're buying is the correct item?

Soldato
I don't think you have to accept the return/refund.
let him open the case and if he selects the true reason (doesn't fit/ordered wrong item) then you can close the return.
Had this happen to me, complained to ebay and because my ebay account has reached concierge status, ebay refunded me themselves.

FYI ebay initially suggested I try and resell the item, after they refunded me, I put it up for sale anyway for less than half what I paid and it hasn't sold 4 months later.

Soldato
If he dosent collect from argos the parcel will expire. Hopefully you put your return address on the back otherwise you wont get it back.

Best thing is tell him to pick it up and return it for refund.

Soldato
I have withdrawn the money out of my PayPal but not removed my cards, i actually find PayPal useful, surely they can't just withdraw out of my bank account without my permission?
When you set up a direct debit, you give them permission to do so. Unlink your cards and bank accounts NOW. I've abandoned numerous PayPal accounts over the years because of crap like this.

Soldato
OP
I figure I’m going to be at leat the postage (£4.50) down and perhaps PayPal fees as well, not sure about the £2 max selling fee.

I’ve read through the eBay help section and what MassiveJim says is right, but then I’d be trusting the buyer to not say it doesn’t work or similar so it would be a bit of a gamble. At this stage I want the to be done with it and messaged the buyer with the following.

“Hi, I am sorry you bought the wrong item for your son, but please understand this is not my fault either, I’m a private seller trying to cut down on how much time and money I’m going to lose. If you send me the CPU back via 1st Class Signed for without opening the box I’ll issue you a refund as soon as I receive it.”

Soldato
For the extra 3 quid its going to cost for him to use special delivery its not worth the risk, or complication of it not getting back to you or it being damaged.

If the post office ask for the value and they say 160 but still choose to send 1st or 2nd class then no compensation would be paid if a claims later submitted. You wouldnt even get the £50.

Soldato
OP
Trouble is I can’t ask him to send it back special deliver when I’ve sent it 1st Class would seem a bit odd!

I can see this whole sending it 1st class instead of special deliver as stirred a bit of a hornets nest! But I’ve sent and received many high value goods from here, eBay and online sellers using the same without issue. Thought it was the norm.

Soldato
It's wrong on all levels.

The right thing for ebay to do would be to insist that you refund the buyers money, but minus the postage fees. That way the costly mistake is on the buyers end for not doing his research correctly.

But as everyone knows, ebay is a scummy company with no morales.

Associate
Op get the buyer to use paypals free return service at least you will get the return side of postage paid for. Am sure he will assist in helping you out where he can...

https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/refunded-returns

It’s easy! Whether you purchased something from the UK or anywhere in the world, we’ll cover up to 12 returns on eligible PayPal purchases. We’ll reimburse you for up to £15 per request.

Man of Honour
I don't think you have to accept the return/refund.
let him open the case and if he selects the true reason (doesn't fit/ordered wrong item) then you can close the return.
Had this happen to me, complained to ebay and because my ebay account has reached concierge status, ebay refunded me themselves.

FYI ebay initially suggested I try and resell the item, after they refunded me, I put it up for sale anyway for less than half what I paid and it hasn't sold 4 months later.

This is the correct course of action. You have messages through ebay that show his intention (and lack of ability to check if it's working) therefore your likelihood of success if very high.

Man of Honour
I had similar recently, I told the buyer to pay for return postage and I'll accept the return when it comes back. He agreed, then when you accept the return menu in your eBay account choose 'I've already provided a return label' it's for them to pay not you :)

Can't type for toffee
Don
Well this is a fine pickle I’ve got myself into!

Not heard back from buyer since my reply, I sent the CPU to a Argos/Sainsbury’s collection point which I guess further confuses the issue of buyer rejecting and cpu being returned to me? It was sent via Royal Mail 1st class signed for, and yeah I know it’s only insured for up to £50 but I figured I just need proof of it being received.

So assuming I get a message back saying “I want a refund” what will be my best move as in least costly and stressful?

Marking your listing as no returns means nowt.
What if in the royal fail system it's lost, you can only claim 50 quid.

Really I'd chance messaging him advising you will accept return as long as he covers post.

Was this set as an item price or item plus post?

What if buyer receives n says its faulty damaged in ppost

Soldato
What if buyer receives n says its faulty damaged in ppost

You'd hope some dense person working at ebay would think it's all too much of a coincidence. But either way in these cases the seller normally has to pay for postage to retrieve the item, and then show ebay that it's definitely working.

Not sure what happens then. You've proven that the seller is a liar and the item isn't faulty. EBay should really cover the postage fees and get you to send it back to the buyer.

But as I said earlier, scummy company won't do anything right.

Back
Top Bottom