Anyone use a PC exclusively through their TV? Tips?

Soldato
So I'm basically currently using my PC via the TV as a gaming console type of experience.

I downloaded an App on my phone to use that as a mouse and keyboard for basic functions however it's a bit spotty. Last night I turned the PC on and the app would not connect to the PC so I was unable to log in. I've now put my keyboard away so left it last night and will get that back out tonight.

Is there a way to disable the log in altogether? I.e. boot straight in to windows? I'm guessing the PC server didn't load up but it did the last time I turned it on.

Any other pro tips to make life a bit easier? Steam big picture is pretty useful and could set it to launch in to that if I can skip the log in as above.

Soldato
install a remote admin util such as VNC, Teamviewer etc as a service in case of situations like you have just experienced, they all should have a phone client.

Soldato
Yes Windows has a setting to log straight in surely? Certainly if you don't have a password on your account you can. That's how mine is set up.

I have a PC just for gaming by the TV. For a while I used software to make my XBOX pad work as a mouse, but it also doesn't work on the login screen. So if my PC went to sleep, I had to go find a keyboard. Now I have a wireless keyboard/touchpad. One of the ones shaped like a gamepad but flat. Really useful for HTPC tasks and it's small and discreet when not in use.

Soldato
OP
I found a guide to disable/skip the login screen which helped! Still not sure if I can put my kb/m away again yet but was working fine after a few off and ons last night

Soldato
Why are you not using your keyboard and mouse? You just like making life hard for yourself? I use my 42" TV as my monitor, keyboard sits on lap, and mouse is on the sofa cushion next to me, simples.....

Soldato
I use both a PC and a QNAP NAS via a compact wireless keyboard and trackball. I prefer having the keyboard in both hands with a thumb moving the trackball for occasional use. The PC runs Zwift for cycle training so again having an easy way to move a pointer helps when sat on a bike.

Not sure what mine are branded but search for DoCooler 2.4GHz wireless mini keyboard with trackball and you'll get the idea.

Soldato
OP
Why are you not using your keyboard and mouse? You just like making life hard for yourself? I use my 42" TV as my monitor, keyboard sits on lap, and mouse is on the sofa cushion next to me, simples.....

As I literally need it to open games and then I use a controller for playing, so my hope is that the app on my phone (basically acts as a laptop style tracking pad) will suffice. It does the job well enough, I think now that it skips the log in, the server for that app will start properly on booting windows and I'll be away.

Soldato
I have a gaming PC sitting next to my TV which boots straight into big screen Playnite. A keyboard/ mouse is unfortunately a necessity at times so I bought a cheap (£15 I think) Bluetooth keyboard with built in trackpad. It works brilliantly for what I need it for.

EDIT: you shouldn’t need a mouse to open games. Boot Steam into Big Screen mode or check out Playnite which can be used for Steam, Epic, Origin, etc games. Both big screen Steam and Playnite use the controller to select and start games.

Soldato
You can configure Steam the let you use your joypad as a mouse on the desktop. It works well, when it works. Sometimes though, it just fails to load the desktop config randomly due to some bug.

Try looking on GitHub for antimicro. It will let you setup your joypad to work as a mouse.

Associate
Give teamviewer a try I think you should be able to do what you need. Basically you remote connect to your pc with your phone start the game then close the teamviewer connection

Soldato
I have a gaming PC sitting next to my TV which boots straight into big screen Playnite. A keyboard/ mouse is unfortunately a necessity at times so I bought a cheap (£15 I think) Bluetooth keyboard with built in trackpad. It works brilliantly for what I need it for.

EDIT: you shouldn’t need a mouse to open games. Boot Steam into Big Screen mode or check out Playnite which can be used for Steam, Epic, Origin, etc games. Both big screen Steam and Playnite use the controller to select and start games.
This. Or GOG v2 beta client.

Back
Top Bottom