Show us your kitty cats

Soldato
Today we took home Fernley from Blue Cross rescue centre is Southampton! He is my first ever "proper" pet and I am 29. My partner had cats and dogs all through her childhood though.

He is currently hiding in his travel carrier thing, with the blanket half covering it in the spare room with the door shut. He's got everything he needs in there and we're just letting him get used to his new surroundings. We pop in every few hours to say hello and let him get to know our smell etc.

I would take a photo but at the moment all we can see is a pair of grumpy looking eyes. He is a chonky black british short hair, 9 years old. I wonder how long it will take for him to come out of the carrier and do a bit of investigating!

Soldato
I remember when I got my reduce cats it took them about 6 hours to leave the room. I just left the door open to the rest of the house and they eventually were brace enough to go wondering.

Soldato
Today we took home Fernley from Blue Cross rescue centre is Southampton! He is my first ever "proper" pet and I am 29. My partner had cats and dogs all through her childhood though.

He is currently hiding in his travel carrier thing, with the blanket half covering it in the spare room with the door shut. He's got everything he needs in there and we're just letting him get used to his new surroundings. We pop in every few hours to say hello and let him get to know our smell etc.

I would take a photo but at the moment all we can see is a pair of grumpy looking eyes. He is a chonky black british short hair, 9 years old. I wonder how long it will take for him to come out of the carrier and do a bit of investigating!
The rehoming centres usually have people that go round and sit in the rooms with them so maybe sit in the room with him for a few hours and maybe have a radio on low.

Personaly Id sit in the room and wait for him to come out of the box and then start talking to him and try to get him to come to you for a stroke. Once he feels comfortable with you he will be more willing to explore and then in the house aknowledge him vocaly whenever he walks into a room or you see him.

Soldato
OP

Time to break out the cat toys. Try screwing up some little balls of foil and rolling them around his cat carrier to tempt him out.

Soldato
He's still not interested. We're in the room petmenantlyt now, pulled the blanket back so it's a bit less of a den, played with his toys etc.

He did perk up a bit when I showed him his food bowl but didn't come out still...

I'm not sure if it is a case of luring / tempting him out or letting him take his own time now. :/

Soldato
OP
He's still not interested. We're in the room petmenantlyt now, pulled the blanket back so it's a bit less of a den, played with his toys etc.

He did perk up a bit when I showed him his food bowl but didn't come out still...

I'm not sure if it is a case of luring / tempting him out or letting him take his own time now. :/

Could you slowly place your hand in with him and give him a gentle scratching around his jaw and neck? Try and get a pur on.

Soldato
Give him space, let him relax. Once he calms down he'll come out even if its only to hide behind the sofa. When he starts feeling secure he'll come out and even approach you, don't go tipping him out of his cage or looming over him shoving your hand in front of his face thats not going make him feel any more comfortable...

Soldato
Our cat has started randomly yowling at night despite having everything it needs. Not that loud but just constant once he gets starter. Great as I am a really light sleeper and my wife just sleeps through.

Any ideas what might be causing this or what to do?

Soldato
Our cat Holly started to do this a month ago and wife has to get up and sort her out - we have no idea why she does it - we have come to the conclusion she doesn't like the dark :D
To be honest we don't know - If she is on the bed before wife goes to bed she doesn't do it but later after using litter tray off she starts - we are sure it isn't her poo or wee habits as if she goes in the day she doesn't wail- I have to say I have never heard it as I don't wear my hearing aid in bed ;)
If you find out why post it up.

Soldato

He'll come out when he is ready. Trying to force the issue is really not advisable.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Our cat has started randomly yowling at night despite having everything it needs. Not that loud but just constant once he gets starter. Great as I am a really light sleeper and my wife just sleeps through.

Any ideas what might be causing this or what to do?

Willow has started doing this as she gets older. I figured it was just 'crotchety senior' syndrome :) She'll wander into the bed room, howl at you until you're awake and get you to follow her somewhere. You pet her for five or ten minutes, then she's fine again for another few hours at which point she repeats the trick but wants food instead of petting. This after ~17-18 years of sleeping through the nights and having to be woke up at breakfast time.

How old is your cat?

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Day 2 of Fernley. When we went in in the morning at 8.30 or so he was up and about but not eaten or drunk anything. A few hours later he was back in his hidey hole. I hope he eats and drinks something today :(

I'm sure he'll be fine, just needs some time to get his equilibrium back. It'll all feel a bit new and scary to him right now. Soon as he's hungry he'll get after the food :)

Soldato
Day 2 of Fernley. When we went in in the morning at 8.30 or so he was up and about but not eaten or drunk anything. A few hours later he was back in his hidey hole. I hope he eats and drinks something today :(
Hopefully he'll be okay soon. Its a 9 year old cat everything it knew has changed at least twice now. That cant be easy.

Gets some tunna out see how that goes. Crisps is what used to get my cats into a frenzy.

Back
Top Bottom