Buying an e-bike

Man of Honour
I just purchased a 1500w ebike bit from ebay. Whats the best battery to use for the best range?

You will need a 48v to power 1500 watts properly and then the highest 'ah' you can afford eg 48v 17ah

Now just remember that the law says you can only do 15.5 mph on power and a 1500 watt can get you beyond 30mph (when I had a 1000 watt it did 30mph on the throttle).
I was in an RTA in 2016 and the copper looked at my bike to see if it was road legal.

Soldato
You will need a 48v to power 1500 watts properly and then the highest 'ah' you can afford eg 48v 17ah

Now just remember that the law says you can only do 15.5 mph on power and a 1500 watt can get you beyond 30mph (when I had a 1000 watt it did 30mph on the throttle).
I was in an RTA in 2016 and the copper looked at my bike to see if it was road legal.

Dam dude. I trust everything is ok now? How did you have your accident if you dont mind me asking? Cheers.

Man of Honour
Dam dude. I trust everything is ok now? How did you have your accident if you dont mind me asking? Cheers.

I'd just come out of the hospital I work at and cycled past the entrance of another hospital next to it when a Nurse came straight out and ran into me.
A few yards away was the West Midlands Ambulance Service where 6 Paramedics and 2 Coppers were having a break and witnessed it.
They kept me on the road for 30 minutes because they were sure I'd got serious back injuries but I eventually got up and I had 3 broken ribs, a dislocated right shoulder and my front wheel was a write off.
A&E was about 100 yards away but they wouldn't let me walk, meanwhile a staff member from the hospital had taken my bike to store it.
I was in work the next day on my spare e-Bike :)

Visuals - That's where I was hit, turn round left and the WMAS is there (now knocked down), turn round to the right and you can see the main hospital.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.0...azpWMyY_g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en&authuser=0

Soldato
You need eyes in the back of your head around hospitals.
I think the staff really are that exhausted that come home time their minds really are in auto pilot with blinkers on.

I cycle along this shared path/cycleway everyday (& night) and if you don't get run over when they exit their car park your likely to run them over when they're on their way to the car park !

https://goo.gl/maps/zDuWooM4HhhLzbRc8

djshauny1 .... It all depends on what voltage your controller can accept but 1500w generally is 48v.
My 48v rackmount is 20ah. If you accelerate hard then just like hammering a car you'll have fun but not go very far.
Generally speaking you'll be looking at about 25 miles range

Associate
Thanks, I think it'll be ready later, but don't think I can get away from work to pick it up today.
I can't wait to try it. I've bought it blind, having never ridden an ebike before.

I've bought some carbon bars, composite pedals and some ergon grips and saddle so far
Trying to decide on mudguards and tyres and need to get some insurance too.
:)

Oh, and a 36t chainring

Associate
Collected the bike today.
No pics of my face, sorry. But it was something like this :D

There's a particular hill where I live that I've always struggled to get up. With this bike in turbo, I found I can fly up it in the highest gear. I've never gotten up there so quickly and so easily.

Wasted my money on the nukeproof carbon bars tho.
The shop cut them down then found they couldn't secure the gears/brakes properly even with paste. So I've had to go back to the originals.

Associate
Hi Guys, could anyone recommend a complete rear hub kit that's 1500w+ with battery 52v+

Soo many to choose from or do they just rebrand them :) Thanks

Soldato
I promise this is not a troll, but can someone please explain the point of e-bikes? As I really don't get them. I can only think of two situations where someone would buy one.

I was in my LBS the other day and they were everywhere! I struggled to find a 'proper' bike at one point!

Are they the norm now?

Man of Honour
I promise this is not a troll, but can someone please explain the point of e-bikes?

For me it is a vehicle to get me to work and back.
If I used a car it would take me 20 mins + 20 mins walk to my office, e-Biking/Cycling takes me 20 mins and I can put it outside my office.
Why e-Bike?
Because I have very bad arthritis and I'm waiting for two new knees so at least 50% of the time I turn the electric on.

An older friend of mine uses his to keep fit.
Imagine an e-Bike like a gym bike, you can put it on whatever you like so you do a lot of exercise or virtually none but you will always get home.
Sometimes I get home absolutely knackered because I've put too much work in.

Soldato
Because I have very bad arthritis and I'm waiting for two new knees so at least 50% of the time I turn the electric on.

ok I understand that and that's fine, and for me that is one of the two reasons why someone buys an e-bike.

The other reason isn't so.......nice shall we say :p With the exception of the above, unless you are just plain lazy and/or fat, I cannot remotely see why anyone would want one.

Soldato
ok I understand that and that's fine, and for me that is one of the two reasons why someone buys an e-bike.

The other reason isn't so.......nice shall we say :p With the exception of the above, unless you are just plain lazy and/or fat, I cannot remotely see why anyone would want one.
Most people have that opinion until they try one! If you really want to know what the hype is about just hire one for a few hours.

There are more than enough fit and young people on YouTube who ride them to stop the rumour that it’s just for fat and lazy folk.

The main benefit is riding further, you cover more ground. It’s just more fun. I normally do 5-6 loops of my local bike park, normal bikes do 3 and head home..

I also ride a road bike and a normal FS bike but don’t see much point in the FS anymore, I still enjoy the road bike though.

Like I say, try one...

Back
Top Bottom