lg 55oled b9

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Yes, it must do... I've seen far too many mixed reports of people like yourself who've used OLED for years without issue, and others who've had burn-in after just a few months. It definitely HAS to be down to specific panel characteristics and old fashioned luck!
I have not used OLED, I have used Plasma for years :)

OLED very soon. With HDMI 2.1 ;):p

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Anyone else looking to picking one of these up on Black Friday? If it hits the 1K sweet spot I may crack and buy it rather than waiting until next year.

It has been confirmed that it has g-Sync and I don’t see the point of paying more than £100 more for the C9 so hopefully this hits that price point :D

Soldato
I read that panel quality/lottery could play a role in this? I am not bothered about image retention if it is no worse than my Plasma. Honestly I have got to a point now that I don’t even see it or let it bother me as it goes away so quickly. My main issue with Plasma is how much energy it uses and how hot it gets.

I’ve had them for a number of years now and yes there is a definite lottery with OLED as there is with any panel.

I’ve had burn in from a faulty panel within days/weeks which burned in all the amazon video icons, side bubble icons and in the end it ended up with several clusters of dead pixels and the LG factory calibration square burned in somehow. It was returned and promptly replaced. Haven’t suffered from anything similar since.

The main problem with OLED is once you experience it, it’s hard to go back to anything else without feeling let down.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I got my C8 this time last year, RS payed back the difference in price when it dropped on black Friday so no need to wait to but one.
What if they don’t drop price but say JL or some other company have it for £999?

I ain’t in no rush anyways. Price with time will only go in one direction :)

Caporegime
Does anyone know (or if it's highly likely) that once the new nVidia cards are out with HDMI 2.1 that these will do 4k/120hz Gsync? Technically I know it shou;d, just want to know if anyone has seen anything solid...

£999 would be extremely tempting!

Associate
As long as HDMI 2.1 is implemented correct it should do everything, 16bit colour, 4k, 120hz as 2.1 has 48 Gbps bandwidth. With no real 2.1 devices to test the TV with let's just hope LG designed it correctly :D

Soldato
Just seen less than £1000 (£989 ) on Very BNPL but no 5/6yr warranty :(

Defo seems like there will be a price war over this set come BF as the deals are coming thick and fast already.

Associate
The OLEDs (especially the g sync enabled 2019 models) are the only display option I’d consider to be honest. Like much of the other areas of the gaming market (headsets, caugh) you’re being ripped off with the inferior products on offer and being told that it’s better for gaming because they’re branded as such.

Associate
If you buy one of these OLED's which precautions do you need to take to prevent burn in?

Stick it in game mode and use it for games. Gaming isn’t likely to cause image retention in the same way that 24/7 news channels might. Maybe use another monitor or another system for spreadsheets and stuff if you’re duly concerned.

Even then, the fears around burn-in are a touch overblown. The way I see it is that IF I abuse the panel, I MAY get burn in at some point in the future which MAY be visible in content. However, with the current crop of so-called “gaming monitors” I absolutely WILL -from the start- have backlight bleed, poor black levels and -generally speaking- substandard image quality in the same way that “gaming headsets” give terrible audio quality.

In terms of legitimate OLED concerns - worry about the ones that you can do something about! Some of them have banding in 5%-10% grey slides. Normally this isn’t visible in content; but if it is, get the panel swapped within the return period pronto.

Associate
Stick it in game mode and use it for games. Gaming isn’t likely to cause image retention in the same way that 24/7 news channels might. Maybe use another monitor or another system for spreadsheets and stuff if you’re duly concerned.

Even then, the fears around burn-in are a touch overblown. The way I see it is that IF I abuse the panel, I MAY get burn in at some point in the future which MAY be visible in content. However, with the current crop of so-called “gaming monitors” I absolutely WILL -from the start- have backlight bleed, poor black levels and -generally speaking- substandard image quality in the same way that “gaming headsets” give terrible audio quality.

In terms of legitimate OLED concerns - worry about the ones that you can do something about! Some of them have banding in 5%-10% grey slides. Normally this isn’t visible in content; but if it is, get the panel swapped within the return period pronto.

When you put it like that you are absolutely right with these Ultrawides that cost 1k and come with a host of there own problems like glow etc, Is there any input lag etc what's the response times like ?

Soldato
If you buy one of these OLED's which precautions do you need to take to prevent burn in?

Just ensure if you use it for pc use only you hide the taskbar and static icons and have regular changing backgrounds. And that you run the olight not maxed out at 100 24/7.

I usually have mine at the most of around 75-80 in hdr game mode and the difference is minimal between that and 100. Most people run them a lot lower though depends on personal preference.

I’ve never had burn over time. Had my E8 a long time now. Although I have seen others with it. While it’s mostly overblown it is possible and I have seen a number of threads with burn from different content than just 24/7 news channels. Can be a panel lottery also as some are more susceptible than others.

When you put it like that you are absolutely right with these Ultrawides that cost 1k and come with a host of there own problems like glow etc, Is there any input lag etc what's the response times like ?

OLED can have its own set of issues and as per the few comments above they all suffer from vertical banding to some degree. Severity depends on panel age (as it does settle over usage), and things like panel lottery and viewing conditions. For the most part on a decent panel it’s not so much of an issue if you don’t go looking for it and it’s much less of an issue than say DSE on most other large TVs.

Input lag is great and you don’t get any ghosting or any such issues due to the instant pixel response time. Never used mine with a mouse though. Mainly just gets used for controller based RPG, casual fps and such like.

They are much much better picture wise than any gaming monitor available.

1k on an OLED or 1k on an ultrawide, i’d pick an OLED every day of the week.

Associate
Burn in certainly can be an issue.

I've got a 65C8 which needed a screen replacement due to burn in after about 11 months.

The kids watched Nickelodeon after school 3-4 times a week for a couple of hours and the logo became really badly burnt in. It was noticeable all the time but especially on a red background.

The brightness was only set at 50 so maybe I had a bad panel or perhaps it was left paused for a few hours one weekend when i was out.

LG said burn in isn't normally covered but as mine was really bad they would change the panel. I'd have been gutted to have spent £2500 on it if they hadn't!

It's a spectacular TV though, the picture is incredible. However, I'm not sure I'd risk using it as my main PC display.

Back
Top Bottom