• Yes, but after launch

Votes: 24 6.3%
  • No

Votes: 286 75.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 49 12.9%

• Total voters
Associate
Once you get your shipping notification, that is when you will get a code emailed to you so that you can play in a chrome browser on the PC - Although this is limited to 1080p60 for the time being

Omg that's terrible. I have this entire week off as well. Installed a CAT6 30m run from my cave/router to living room last weekend, specially for Stadia & Ubiquiti Access Point. Guess I'll carry on playing Borderlands 3 on base PS4.

Caporegime
OP
Cripes, it’s soon crept on us, launch date is Tuesday! Am looking forward to seeing what happens when Joe Public gets their hands on it. Everyone seems impressed with xCloud.

Soldato
They've upped the launch games to 22. Still nothing particularly noteworthy; just a bunch of games that have been out on other platforms for a while.

Got to admit, I'm quite surprised how bad the launch line-up is. Of the current top 40 selling games in the UK, Stadia will have two at launch; Just Dance 2020 and Red Dead 2. Most of the titles are months old, with no sign of recent games like Jedi:FO, CoD:MW, Breakpoint, FIFA 20, Outer Worlds, NFS:Heat. And then there's notable absences like Fortnite and Minecraft, which are on pretty much every planet under the sun.

How committed are Google?

Caporegime
OP
It could be the unfamiliarity with a new set of development tools. All these games have to be ported to Vulkan and Linux and who knows what quirks that set up might have. It's certainly not a commonplace environment.

Soldato
I think they are ahead of the curve. My feeling is game streaming / subscription services will be the future of gaming.

All other entertainment content has gone that way and if banks of servers can give a good user experience providing the user has decent internet then I think it will take off. It has tons of benefits.

My main concerns, though, relate to user autonomy and the loss of choice of when and how to game - but to be fair we are part way there anyway.

I reckon in 20 years time (maybe sooner) we will all be consuming gaming via this type of service. Well if Trump hasnt wiped us out in a nuclear holocaust that is!! :p

Are they really ahead of the curve though? OnLive (Which was ahead of the curve) essentially shut down 6/7 years ago. And also there is PS Now which nobody wanted when it was sub AND buy games.

They really aren't ahead of any curve. The interesting thing they are doing is the controller connecting directly to the internet.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Are they really ahead of the curve though? OnLive (Which was ahead of the curve) essentially shut down 6/7 years ago. And also there is PS Now which nobody wanted when it was sub AND buy games.

They really aren't ahead of any curve. The interesting thing they are doing is the controller connecting directly to the internet.
Yep that's what I said. Some make it sound like it is brand new magical tech that Google came up with and now consoles are out of date. Yeah I don't think so mate. Wishful thinking at best. All it is is a alternative. You want it, go for it, but don't try and make it sound like it is something special.

It may get there in 5-10 years (if Google does not pull the ug by then) but for now it will likely be a much poorer experience vs consoles.

Associate
Delivered by 22nd Nov UK, not dispatched yet as I can edit the delivery address. Will the code at least come at midnight GMT?

Caporegime
OP
Just to balance the argument out though here's another DF quote.

And what you lose in precision detail and latency, you gain in convenience. Load up Red Dead Redemption 2 or Destiny 2 in parallel with their console counterparts and the reduction in loading times alone is tremendous. Meanwhile, just to get the comparisons in place for this article, I've had to leave my Xbox One X downloading overnight a couple of times to access titles that can have storage footprints in excess of 100GB. Put simply, instant access to anything and everything in your library has enormous value.

It could be, at the end of the day, no hefty console purchase, no downloads and instant access at the loss of image quality and latency could be what wins it.

Associate
Casuals will determine if Stadia is a success or not. Not a bunch of plebs on forums.

The demographic this is for doesn't care for image quality. Convenience is everything for them. Blu-Ray offers a far superior picture than Netflix, but that didn't stop consumers from buying into the service.

Seems like RDR 2 does run at 60fps:

UPDATE 9:58pm: some minor drama here. Curiously from the web portal - which is limited to 1080p, Stadia seems to run RDR2 at 60fps, but having rechecked our Chromecast captures, all are 30fps. Could we be seeing quality/performance modes locked to signal type? We'll be rechecking Chromecast output soon]. It's Red Dead Redemption 2 in its entirety, it plays well, and even with the existing, very large latency built into the game, there are no issues whatsoever in progressing through the game via the streaming platform.

Soldato
Casuals will determine if Stadia is a success or not. Not a bunch of plebs on forums.

The demographic this is for doesn't care for image quality. Convenience is everything for them. Blu-Ray offers a far superior picture than Netflix, but that didn't stop consumers from buying into the service.

Seems like RDR 2 does run at 60fps:
Netflix doesn't have input lag and charge you Blu-Ray prices for a single movie.

Back
Top Bottom