I need a starting point! New build advice.

Soldato
Hi guys,

I'm looking to upgrade my current gaming build, see sig, which I last gave proper attention to in 2011. Don't get me wrong, I've got a feeling that my 2500k will probably outlast me but I want something current gen. I've more than gotten the £105 out of it, brand new, I paid for it on eBay :)

So where do I start now? My needs are quite simple I guess; I'm a gamer but I don't do full overhaul upgrades ever five minutes, like some. To be honest, I'm really now only looking at a CPU/mobo/RAM upgrade - the graphics, M2 ssd etc. can all come in the next few months. I'm after day 1 upgrade advice.

In 2011, I started with the cpu. It was an easy choice - the 2500k without question offered the best value/performance. What's the 2500k of today, I guess I'm asking? That would be my starting point.

Thanks.

Soldato
Hi

I would be looking at a Ryzen cpu if you want to upgrade the 2500K. Still running a 3570K myself :D

The cheapest option would be a 6 core/12 thread R5 3600/X and an MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX with 16GB DDR4 3000MHz - 3600MHz. Next step up on the cpu would be the 8 core/16 thread R7 3700X. It would be fine with that same board.

They all come with stock coolers which are decent, or you could chuck in a cheap cooler like an Arctic Freezer 34 esports duo. You might be able to reuse your existing cooler if you can get an AM4 bracket for it.

The R5 3600X and R7 3700X also both qualify for a free game (Borderlands 3 or The Outer Worlds) and 3 months of XBOX Game Pass for PC.

https://www.amd.com/en/gaming/equipped-to-win

Soldato
OP
Hi

I would be looking at a Ryzen cpu if you want to upgrade the 2500K. Still running a 3570K myself :D

The cheapest option would be a 6 core/12 thread R5 3600/X and an MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX with 16GB DDR4 3000MHz - 3600MHz. Next step up on the cpu would be the 8 core/16 thread R7 3700X. It would be fine with that same board.

They all come with stock coolers which are decent, or you could chuck in a cheap cooler like an Arctic Freezer 34 esports duo. You might be able to reuse your existing cooler if you can get an AM4 bracket for it.

The R5 3600X and R7 3700X also both qualify for a free game (Borderlands 3 or The Outer Worlds) and 3 months of XBOX Game Pass for PC.

https://www.amd.com/en/gaming/equipped-to-win
Thanks for that! Budget isn't really an issue, although I don't want to go mad - like I said, I don't upgrade all the time. Longevity is key though :p

I was thinking the AMD road - that's as a Intel loyalist. Price/performance seems incomparable? I keep hearing about the MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX, usually around the £85 mark? Seems too good to be true. I would happily spend a bit more to not have to change it in a years time. Memory is my other concern.

I'm sorted for a case, watercooling and storage.

Think I've deceided on the 3700x ;)

Soldato
Hows this?

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £571.02 (includes shipping: £11.10)​

No idea if you have preference for AMD or Nvidia Graphics cards, I threw a decent PSU into the spec list as you can never skimp on that. ;)

Associate
The Ryzen 3700x seems like a very good choice since you plan to keep it for quite some time. You can also get an m.2 drive where the OS and programs could reside with the 1TB Evo drive you have used exclusively for games.

Associate
The 3600x is one of the best chips designed over the last few years, cheep but offering gobs of grunt its ideal for not a lot of wonga gaming on PC.

I suspect the equivalent to the 2600 and 2700 from all those years ago would be the 3900x now, 12 core/24 thread and monster grunt able to hit any game or application hard.
Then there is the 3950x which is just like bringing a nuke to a sword-fight, it demolishes practically everything.

Soldato
OP
Thanks guys! I think I'm set a 3700x, that's my starting point I guess. The mobo is a different matter altogether... I forgot to mention it earlier but I need at least 5x USB - at least 3x 3.0. Isn't there a limit on the b450 chipset with regards to USB? I notice some boards literally only have 5x ports.

Bonus extras would also be onboard bluetooth and wifi. The wifi is less important. I can use front of case usb wifi if I'm desperate. I recal motherboard selection the biggest headache last time round :o

Back
Top Bottom