Poll: Brazilian Grand Prix 2019, São Paulo - Race 20/21

Rate the 2019 Brazilian Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
Soldato
Weak stewards again regarding Ferrari (Vettel) and baffling why the Bottas retirement brought about a safety car!

I'm expecting them to dismiss the drs in yellow flags zone too.

Soldato
The concensus is that Honda has a good electrical system, so is less affected by the high altitude at Sao Paolo. So it's not that the Honda is the best engine, but it's less held back by the thinner air at high altitude. One swallow does not a summer make.

I wouldn't bet any money on it. It seems like Mercedes have switched development to next years car very early, so I expect them to have their usual early march on the other teams.

I know, i was trying to be optimistic for all the people out there who are upset with the lack of racing/winning teams/drivers etc. :) That's interesting about the electrical system though.

Soldato
So a driver gets penilised for trying for an overtake when the door is wide open but suddenly shut down at the last moment. That's a great prescident to set in F1, jesus.

Caporegime
Have to say, if you told me, even at the beginning of this season that a Honda powered car would outdrag a Mercedes up the hill at Interlagos on the last lap I'd have called you barking mad. Makes McLaren look incredibly short sighted now doesn't it?

Associate
Have to say, if you told me, even at the beginning of this season that a Honda powered car would outdrag a Mercedes up the hill at Interlagos on the last lap I'd have called you barking mad. Makes McLaren look incredibly short sighted now doesn't it?

Have merc even put any effort into this car since summer brake? They've had both championships wrapped up for ages. I imagine all efforts are into next year.

Caporegime
Have merc even put any effort into this car since summer brake? They've had both championships wrapped up for ages. I imagine all efforts are into next year.

Still reckoned they've had the best engine up until about May/June and second best after that though? Powerplant development never really stops does it?

Soldato
None, no upgrades and nothing new unless testing pieces under the hood for 2020.pretty clear they have begun work on next year's car since mid summer. Also as I understand it that was an older engine in the Merc.

Soldato
6/10. Most of the racing felt manufactured. 5-6 laps of safety car for a standard retirement immediately next to a recovery position that was not posing any significant risk to a live circuit? Come on.

I feel a little sorry for Hamilton - he wanted to follow Verstappen into the pits but got the call to stay out. Crucial moment, as it allowed Mercedes to double down and make an absolutely shocking call to put him on the second safety car. Even when Ferrari did their ‘hold my beer’ moment, Hamilton still couldn’t recover.

Very pleased for Saint and McLaren - that’s them confirmed in 4th position now for the championship - some comeback from the last couple of years. Absolutely awesome for Honda to lock out the podium too.

Ferrari, where does one begin... Well, I’d suggest one begins with Binotto. This has been Ferrari’s worst season in terms of discretionary performance / decision making for quite some time, and that’s saying something when you’re in charge of Ferrari - they don’t have the best track record. Much of the initial 2019 car performance will not have been down to him, and they’ve been knocked back during the season when he was in charge.

Vettel? Time to say goodbye. Whether that goodbye is to the sport or just to Ferrari may be down to him, but I doubt that he’ll finish next season in a Ferrari, or perhaps even start it. He’s had a dreadful year, on the back of a few average years, and I don’t think that he can come back from this in the Ferrari team.

Finally, away from the negatives, was Verstappen. Simply awesome all weekend. His performance and the team’s decision making forced Hamilton into his most defensive and error-strewn race of the season. Brilliant.

Man of Honour
The SC at the end was fair because there was debris on the track, but the one for Bottas was ridiculous. Bottas made sure to pull off line and get to a gap in the fence. They coulda just rolled it backwards for gods sake.
It feels like most safety cars in F1 these days are just to bunch the pack up and revive dead races.

Caporegime
The SC at the end was fair because there was debris on the track, but the one for Bottas was ridiculous. Bottas made sure to pull off line and get to a gap in the fence. They coulda just rolled it backwards for gods sake.
It feels like most safety cars in F1 these days are just to bunch the pack up and revive dead races.

I get the feeling they couldn't roll it back for some reason, hence the lift the car needed. And the won't put any recovery vehicles on track without a full safety car anymore.

Vettel is coming back up so the only thing that will prevent him seeing out the last year of his contract is Vettel himself IMO. He might call it a day after that though. 4 WDC's will give him Legend status for life. Ferrari have no one else. Giovanazzi has improved but is nowhere near ready.

Soldato
I genuinely think that Ferrari would take Hulkenburg for 2020 instead of Vettel, just because he’s another driver carrying the German flag.

No top driver would jump there before the 2021 reg changes without a huge risk. Then again, that’s exactly what Hamilton did. But this is Ferrari...

Caporegime
That's a 10!

What a race!
So many great drives!

Thank you for the safety car!

Gasly, sainz, verstappen, the alphas all did so well.

Lol ferrari and lol vettel! Seems a familiar story.
Vettel will be crucified for that!.

Honda have come on so far, now far in front of Renault. No wonder no one is using Renault engines anymore

Riccardo has made a lot of questionable moves, could have been in sainz position had he not messed up. Hulk was nowhere really.
Haas went backwards as we knew they would
Even if Renault did abysmally that was an amazing race.

Caporegime
Weak stewards again regarding Ferrari (Vettel) and baffling why the Bottas retirement brought about a safety car!

I'm expecting them to dismiss the drs in yellow flags zone too.

It was sticking out and as the Ferrari clash proved, cars can crash on the straight meaning cars sticking out even a bit are a hazard. Had he parked in the same 'slightly on track' place just around the corner it would have been completely out of the line of fire there.

SO angry though, I use f1calendar to keep track of the practice sessions and it said the race started an hour later than it did and as I don't watch much of the preshow the race was on when I turned it on, turned it straight off and watched the later replay.

Vettel with more of his, I'll just have a little swerve at someone to prove how big of a man I am and Leclerc not moving ends up causing a collision. Drivers in general do far far too much of this pushing someone across the track once they get alongside, it's dangerous and stupid. THink Singapore, Vettel does it way to often, he shouldn't be throwing away titles or hitting his team mates because he thinks he has a god given right to turn into people. Of course Leclerc has the same attitude, his swipe at Lando on the first lap was worse but with no consequences.

I don't understand the Hamilton penalty, they are saying that because Albon was just using the racing line it was entirely Hamilton's fault. It's pretty clear that he was decently alongside and that Albon should really have left space and he opened up a huge space for Hamilton to move into initially. I think it was two pieces of bad driving from Albon, zero defensively thinking with the line he took then zero awareness of Hamilton as he turned into the apex. He both could have easily taken a line that kept Ham behind to begin with and then he could have taken an easy 4th with a good chance to get back at him and instead he imo took himself out of the race.

At best I'd say this was more Albon's fault but racing incident would have been fine, Ham penalty seems absurd to me but there you go.

Merc's pit strategy again frustrates in it's stupidity. Going from good tires to an early undercut, then going longer on the second set, not pitting under the safety car when it was plainly clear it would be the best idea. If you want to pit if Verstappen doesn't then you've decided that you have the space to pit and not pass anyone... what use would track position be to someone with faster and newer tires. IT should have been pit either way and they shouldn't have given Red Bull a heads up. they need a code for that, pit now, without saying those words. It was a clear as day pit and you ahve a good chance, don't pit and you're ****** situation and they helped RBR avoid a screw up then walked into it themselves.

Soldato

Not really.

Honda put a big turbo on. It's great in high altitude, but so so in normal races as we have seen.

I don't know why Hamilton got that penalty. But it was stupid to bring Hamilton in the last time and to leave him out for track position.

But again. Crofty and the race producer sucked big time.

Back
Top Bottom