Windows 10 on iPad

Soldato
Hi all,

I am currently trying to decide between a Surface (perhaps Go) and an iPad (perhaps Air 3).

For the majority of the time I would be using the device as a tablet, so quick and easy access to apps/entertainment is essential. It is for this reason I am perhaps swaying towards an iPad. However if this was to be the case does anyone know what options I have for Windows 10 on the device?

I have seen various options such as Parallels, VMware etc. but I am wondering what is the best solution to give me full windows 10 access and possibly for even gaming.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Soldato
If you have a Windows 10 based PC then you can Remote Desktop to it very easily from your iPad. The touch interface using Microsoft’s own iOS app works very well. Of course, it depends what you’re wanting to do.

Regarding playing Windows games, you could use the Steam Link app (if you have Steam on a Windows PC - there’s a theme here!) which works ok.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the responses.

I have seen mixed reviews on the Windows 10 remote desktop app for iOS so wasn't sure how viable it would be. Is this something you have tried?

I'm surprised there is no one that is using a virtualised solution.

Soldato
I use the Microsoft Remote Desktop app all the time from both my iPad and my iPhone. I only use it for a modicum of data entry but it works well for me and I’ve no complaints.

Virtualised as is Remote Desktop connecting to a virtual Windows 10 machine? See above! I have four VMs running Windows 10.

Soldato
It should be noted that you can not play games via RDP. You need other apps for that. RDP will allow you to remotely admin the box, create word docs, etc. but not games nor streaming media. If you are trying to do this off your network then you need to port forward from the router to the device. If you want to stream games outside of a network then this isn't going to be a great experience. Depending on what you want to do and if you are going to be in areas where you can't connect then a laptop or tablet running Windows 10 may be preferable.

M.

Soldato
I'm surprised there is no one that is using a virtualised solution.

I don't think the iPads are capable enough to run W10 in a virtualised environment.

And even if you get a Surface instead, depending on the games you play, I found the Intel IGP to be way too limiting. And as a tablet, there's just not many touch friendly apps and I got fed up with it.

On the other hand cloud gaming (eg Google Stadia) may be a good alternative instead of depending on Windows for games.

Back
Top Bottom