The OCUK Whisky (and Whiskey) review thread

Man of Honour
@Nitefly I’ve always found the Port Charlotte peatier than the Octomore, despite the reputation, but the Octomore is a nicer dram. Need to pick up another bottle at some point.
Interesting, thanks. I’m still of the same view; the PC has more burn but the octomore definitely has a peaty flavour that stays in the mouth way longer. Both good!

Soldato
Current inventory

Laphroaig quarter cask nearly gone.
Jura 10 year old gone.
Talisker 10 year old gone.
2 bottles of Haig Club gone, 1 sat in the cupboard, but I'm going off it. Drinking it out of necessity.

Anything that's lovely and drinkable going cheap at the moment? I don't mind peaty or not, love both. Looking for £20 - £30 mark.

I've been thinking about trying the Auchentoshan for a few months, so maybe worth a go for £20 at Asda?
Don't know if you're still looking but Aberlour 12y is 26 quid on Amazon at the moment, nice choice for 20-30 mark.

Soldato
Just got a bottle of Bunnahabhain 12yr old for my birthday, seems like a lovely tipple so far, very happy with it.
My current favourite. I'm amazed it can go for as little as £30 on sale sometimes. It's a bargain at £36 regular price! Thanks to whoever mentioned it on here.

Soldato
My current favourite. I'm amazed it can go for as little as £30 on sale sometimes. It's a bargain at £36 regular price! Thanks to whoever mentioned it on here.

My wife got it for £30 minus Waitrose discount, so an absolute bargain at that price, shame it seems to be sold out now, or I'd be buying a few bottles...

Soldato
Just ordered a bottle of Glengoyne Legacy Series: Chapter One for £38.99 from Amazon, hopefully it's as nice as Glengoyne's other whiskies I've got

Associate
Went a bit mental on Amazon Black Friday this morning.

Mortlach GoT
Clynelish GoT
Talisker GoT
Dalmore 12 gift set for a present

Clynelish and Talisker are very good, and Mortlach is my favourite distillery so happy with that deal!

Associate
Gutted I missed a pre black friday offer for a bottle of Lagavulin off amazon for £40, so i'll have to wait, but asda have a few good offers on whiskeys and other spirits at the moment, Auchentoshan is my 2nd favourite and its down to £20 at the mo :D

Associate
Just ordered a bottle of Glengoyne Legacy Series: Chapter One for £38.99 from Amazon, hopefully it's as nice as Glengoyne's other whiskies I've got
It's a really nice sherried whisky. I don't think you'll be disappointed, certainly not at that price. I tried it at the distillery as it came out the week I was doing their gold medal tour. I was going to get a bottle while I was there, but went for the teapot dram instead as that is only available from the distillery. I've been meaning to pick up a bottle of the Legacy for a while and I saw that deal last night, so bought one as well.

Soldato
It's a really nice sherried whisky. I don't think you'll be disappointed, certainly not at that price. I tried it at the distillery as it came out the week I was doing their gold medal tour. I was going to get a bottle while I was there, but went for the teapot dram instead as that is only available from the distillery. I've been meaning to pick up a bottle of the Legacy for a while and I saw that deal last night, so bought one as well.

I've been meaning to buy a teapot dram but both times I've been to the distillery I've been distracted by others so it's a good excuse to go back

Associate
I've been meaning to buy a teapot dram but both times I've been to the distillery I've been distracted by others so it's a good excuse to go back
I've not tried, or even seen any reviews yet, for the new batch 7. The bad news is they have (and I was expecting this but hoping I'd be wrong) put the price up quite substantially. The last batch was £95, now it's £120. I'd be checking out some reviews before making a trip for it after a price hike of over 25%. Tamdhu (same owners) did something similar with their batch strength, the price went up markedly and it wasn't as good as the previous batches. So make sure to check it out before committing to a trip specially to get it.

Associate

It's a bonny wee distillery. We do a bit of work there. Have a few photos of the 'unseen' areas. Typical old distillery in that everything is crammed in, makes doing work there challenging, but you wouldn't change it. So much character.

Back
Top Bottom