The Tesla Thread

Soldato
Test drove a standard yesterday and really liked it. Coming from an SUV the ride height/driving experience was much better than I thought and you don't actually feel that low somehow.

Bit confused over the navigation and entertainment, but forgot to ask. The standard we drove had traffic, navigation and Spotify etc but that's only included with the Premium interior? Is it possible to add them on separately, and how much does it cost after the first year anyway (on the Long Range and Performance)?

Soldato
Test drove a standard yesterday and really liked it. Coming from an SUV the ride height/driving experience was much better than I thought and you don't actually feel that low somehow.

Bit confused over the navigation and entertainment, but forgot to ask. The standard we drove had traffic, navigation and Spotify etc but that's only included with the Premium interior? Is it possible to add them on separately, and how much does it cost after the first year anyway (on the Long Range and Performance)?

With a recent update the SR+ has access to Spotify and mobile connectivity (including internet browser), so that's no longer a premium-only feature. I think this is in place until the premium subscription service is sorted out. Pricing for premium connectivity hasn't been announced, but the plan will be for this to be offered by subscription (after first year) on all models and it will give you access to all of the 'Premium' features. As far as I know the sat nav is supposed to be traffic aware but shouldn't give an overlay of colours to represent traffic levels. Unless that changed in a recent update or it's just how it is now, difficult to keep track of all of the changes Tesla makes.

Soldato
With a recent update the SR+ has access to Spotify and mobile connectivity (including internet browser), so that's no longer a premium-only feature. I think this is in place until the premium subscription service is sorted out. Pricing for premium connectivity hasn't been announced, but the plan will be for this to be offered by subscription (after first year) on all models and it will give you access to all of the 'Premium' features. As far as I know the sat nav is supposed to be traffic aware but shouldn't give an overlay of colours to represent traffic levels. Unless that changed in a recent update or it's just how it is now, difficult to keep track of all of the changes Tesla makes.

Awesome, thanks for confirming, that basically sells the SR+ for me (as opposed to being tempted to upgrade to the LR just for that).

daz

daz

Soldato
Yeah I think SR+ or Performance is the one to go for, the LR is a bit pointless in the middle and probably why they have inventory.

Soldato
Octopus are doing 5ppkw from midnight to 7am with appropriate smart meter on their GO tarriff.

Currently, I spend around £30 a day on fuel. That would reduce to £9pd for a Tesla so still doesn't work for me looking at TCO.

Soldato
Octopus are doing 5ppkw from midnight to 7am with appropriate smart meter on their GO tarriff.

Currently, I spend around £30 a day on fuel. That would reduce to £9pd for a Tesla so still doesn't work for me looking at TCO.

Yeah, I'm with them already so that'd be my plan if I do end up ordering one. I believe I read somewhere that that equates to 1.3p per mile for the SR+ though, so how are you getting to £9pd? That's 692 miles per day? Standard costs here: https://pod-point.com/guides/vehicles/tesla/2019/model-3. Even at the most expensive public rate (24p/kWH / 6.11p per mile) that's 147 miles per day.

A quick calc and I've spent roughly £6,900 to do the 50,000 miles in my diesel, the same mileage would cost £650 on the SR+ assuming you only ever charged at that rate at home (unlikely, but still).

Associate

What is their daytime unit cost and the standing charge on that tariff?

Associate
Varies by location, but you can check at https://octopus.energy/go/rates/.

Mine are 14.29 p / kWh, standing charge 25p / day, which is actually cheaper than the day tariff I'm on now with them but slightly more standing.

Just had a look. Good price but only goes until 04:30 in the morning for me

Off-peak unit rate (00:30-04:30):

5.00 p / kWh

Peak unit rate (04:30-00:30):

14.19 p / kWh

Standing Charge:

25.00 p / day

Soldato
The upgrade is a lot of money IMO for not much.

50% bigger battery, 35% real world better range, premium stereo (debatable). It is a lot of extra money but the not much really depends on your requirements, we originally ordered an SR+ but I got cold feet and upgraded to LR as I was concerned that SR+ wouldn't do 180 miles in the winter at 70mph without charging (no Supercharger on route) a concern that seems to have been vindicated based on the current FB Group posts.

@Russinating look carefully at the journeys that you will do, what chargers on route and take into account that wind/rain can really kill range, if you are marginal in good conditions then SR+ is a risk IMO.

Yeah I think SR+ or Performance is the one to go for, the LR is a bit pointless in the middle and probably why they have inventory.

Slightly odd statement, the LR is £5000 cheaper than the P, has (slightly) better range and will ride better whilst still offering far more performance than most people have any real world need for. I'd think it was the sweet spot (depending on range requirements) though it is all subjective based on your requirements.

Soldato
Just had a look. Good price but only goes until 04:30 in the morning for me

Off-peak unit rate (00:30-04:30):

5.00 p / kWh

Peak unit rate (04:30-00:30):

14.19 p / kWh

Standing Charge:

25.00 p / day

Yeah that's what they advertise, not sure where Django saw 7am?

@Russinating look carefully at the journeys that you will do, what chargers on route and take into account that wind/rain can really kill range, if you are marginal in good conditions then SR+ is a risk IMO.

Yeah I am/have been, even with family all over the place I can't see any issues. We're in Bristol and they're spread across Watford, Swansea, Southampton, Birmingham and Liverpool. Routes are plastered with Superchargers (and others) and mileage isn't even that big - 187 is most to Liverpool so we'd need to stop enroute which we probably would anyway.

It's charging at home that's the consideration for me. If I had a driveway I'd have ordered yesterday.

Soldato
50% bigger battery, 35% real world better range, premium stereo (debatable). It is a lot of extra money but the not much really depends on your requirements, we originally ordered an SR+ but I got cold feet and upgraded to LR as I was concerned that SR+ wouldn't do 180 miles in the winter at 70mph without charging (no Supercharger on route) a concern that seems to have been vindicated based on the current FB Group posts.

Slightly odd statement, the LR is £5000 cheaper than the P, has (slightly) better range and will ride better whilst still offering far more performance than most people have any real world need for. I'd think it was the sweet spot (depending on range requirements) though it is all subjective based on your requirements.

The thing with the lack of supercharger is that the network is always improving and even non Tesla chargers are becoming a lot more common therefore in a year or 2 it may be a waste of money getting a LR in this country’s:

Soldato
The thing with the lack of supercharger is that the network is always improving and even non Tesla chargers are becoming a lot more common therefore in a year or 2 it may be a waste of money getting a LR in this country’s:

Not sure I agree with this, 100 miles there and back will be pushing the limits in the SR+ when wet/very cold. While charging will only takes 10-15 mins to put enough back in the car to get home, it assumes that will be convenient and there being a charger in the right place. 100 miles isn't that far and something many people will do on a semi regular basis. Where as the LR will be pushing nearly 300 miles or 140 in each direction.

I also can't see the utter cluster that is the public charging network is due to fragmentation being solved in the next 24 months.

Soldato
Not sure I agree with this, 100 miles there and back will be pushing the limits in the SR+ when wet/very cold. While charging will only takes 10-15 mins to put enough back in the car to get home, it assumes that will be convenient and there being a charger in the right place. 100 miles isn't that far and something many people will do on a semi regular basis. Where as the LR will be pushing nearly 300 miles or 140 in each direction.

I also can't see the utter cluster that is the public charging network is due to fragmentation being solved in the next 24 months.
There’s no way the SR will be doing 100 and the LR 300 under the same conditions. It will be more like 100 and 140.

Not a huge amount of difference.

Soldato
My M3 SR+ is my first RWD. Bit of over-steer coming out of a roundabout and onto a dual carridgeway ramp last night - interesting experience for someone who doesn't race! I wasn't pushing it harder or any faster than I've ever pushed by Fiesta ST or Golf GTD. Does make me worry for winter...

Soldato
My M3 SR+ is my first RWD. Bit of over-steer coming out of a roundabout and onto a dual carridgeway ramp last night - interesting experience for someone who doesn't race! I wasn't pushing it harder or any faster than I've ever pushed by Fiesta ST or Golf GTD. Does make me worry for winter...
It's just a different driving experience to FWD. just have to treat it with respect. Even my 160hp MX5 can easily get out of shape if I'm not sensible around a corner.

Back
Top Bottom