ebay... it’s happened again :(

Soldato
if the buyer wanted to be protected through ebay the correct process is
1 - raise a return
2 - you have to accept the return
3 - post it back
4 - once goods have been receipted refund is issued.

Doing it the way you have the buyer has left himself open for you to scam him and say "package hasn't arrived" ;)

Soldato
Wait till you get the CPU back. Don't do anything until you receive it. You have proof that it was delivered so leave it at that until you know 100% it's the CPU you sent.

This isn't what he is asking.

He has to accept the return to start the process. The alternative is to delay the process until ebay gets involved and makes a decision for you, most likely with the buyer.

I'd take it back now and hope for a £1 listing weekend soon.

Soldato
OP
I can’t believe it, just had the following message from eBay about the motherboard I sold which was working perfectly fine. The buyer of this has not contacted me at all.

Hello Mark,

mart1_1 let us know that something is wrong with MSI Z97 Gaming AC Min ITX - LGA 1150 i3 i5 i7 Motherboard. As a result, they requested to return the item for a refund.”

“Hi, this motherboard seems to be faulty. It starts only once, then won t boot again when PC restarted.”

I honestly can’t believe my luck, I’m tempted to not post the graphics card and memory that have also been bought and due for posting tomorrow. Could really do with some good advice now. CPU will be back with me tomorrow, don’t what or if I can do anything about the motherboard and I’m worried about send the other stuff :(

Last edited:
Caporegime
Just stop selling on Ebay it's not worth the hassle, there's too many idiots buying stuff with no intention of keeping it. It's probably Amazon trying to put them out of business or something. :p

Associate
As above, dishonest buyers know they have the SOGA to support them and eBay have no respect for the seller, I can only imagine their whole business model is that if any seller closes their account there will be a vacancy for another seller. Really could do with some competition in the market though, Yahoo auctions used to be a favourite of mine!

Soldato
As above, dishonest buyers know they have the SOGA to support them and eBay have no respect for the seller, I can only imagine their whole business model is that if any seller closes their account there will be a vacancy for another seller. Really could do with some competition in the market though, Yahoo auctions used to be a favourite of mine!
SOGA doesn't apply to second hand/private sales.

Soldato
OP
No more selling on eBay from now on, I take it I’m going to have to accept the return on the motherboard? God know what I’m gonna get back, the buyer has a high feedback rating but as made his actual feedback private.

Shall I just refund the Video card and memory, rather than risk posting it out?

Soldato
OP
Is the CPU they are trying to use supported by the bios on the motherboard?

If you delay posting the other parts could you use them to test the cpu and mobo when they come back?

I have no idea, the buyer of the motherboard hasn't communicated with me at all he went straight through ebay returns!

I've made my mind up to cancel and refund the GPU and memory, once i get the CPU and motherboard back i will test it all.

Associate
SOGA doesn't apply to second hand/private sales.

I know that, perhaps I didn't word it that well but eBay do seem to apply their own SOGA to purchases that very much favours the buyer. Probably because of the old system where a buyer would post a cheque out and the seller would cash the cheque and then not send anything so it has sort of gone from one extreme to the other.

I remember there used to be an escrow service but due to the cost of it and resources involved was closed down, would be a good way to get rid of the scam buyers and sellers though.

Associate
A few months ago I tried selling one of my modified Tag power amps on there, it was my neighbour that did the modifications as that is something he does as a very sought after business, shortly after listing someone messaged me to ask if I still had one of the old parts (an amplifier module I used as payment). When I explained this he went absolutely mad stating that the parts installed wouldn't have cost that much and that 12 capacitors could be bought for a few ££ and that I must be a scammer - I pointed out that it was actually 16 capacitors, and custom made circuit boards, I went on to say that his account seemed somewhat suspicious given that he had zero feedback, was located on eBay as being in the US but asking how much to ship to Greece! He told me to stick all of the capacitors up somewhere and to stick my balls (politer term used here) in my mouth, so I went on to report him to eBay, when I mentioned this to my neighbour he paid me the asking price so in turn it saved me the auction fees.

Soldato
OP
Trouble is i have a seriously large amount of stuff I've been meaning to sell for quite some time (mostly retro consoles and computers) but now ebay is a no go i can't see a viable alternative. Was a lot easier back in the old days when you just placed an add in the local paper or admag!

Soldato
I would never sell anything ever again on eBay , been scammed for at least £1000 over the years .

Even had a guy once threaten to break my legs once through an eBay message . eBay did nothing about it

Odds are just stacked up against genuine independent sellers .

Back
Top Bottom