*** The official 2019 MacBook Pro thread (it has eight cores and everything!) ***

Associate
I haven't heard any personally, but it feels like the natural next step for the MBP line. The form factor of the 15 vs 16 was kept relatively the same, with the increased screen size mainly coming from smaller bezels, Id assume that the same is going to happen to the 13inch variant if I were to hazard a guess

The 13 still has the keyboard everyone hates so yes, soon

--edit-- To elaborate, I would expect a new 13 or 14 imch model before long, *if* the 16 inch keyboard is well received. The butterfly keyboard has been a big source of complaints over the last few years, and the new one is supposed to fix it. So if it does, I'd expect a refresh very soon.

I'm still sad they ended the macbook though. A refresh with TB3 would have had me sold in a second...

Last edited:

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

The 13 still has the keyboard everyone hates so yes, soon

--edit-- To elaborate, I would expect a new 13 or 14 imch model before long, *if* the 16 inch keyboard is well received. The butterfly keyboard has been a big source of complaints over the last few years, and the new one is supposed to fix it. So if it does, I'd expect a refresh very soon.

I'm still sad they ended the macbook though. A refresh with TB3 would have had me sold in a second...

Exactly, it doesnt make sense for apple to upgrade the 15 inch model but not the smaller one? There's almost no sense in that.

I expect it to come within the next year

Soldato
Looks like base spec 16" MBPs are in Apple stores now. I'm tempted, since base is plenty good enough for what I'm using it for. Might go to Southampton to check it out today.

I'm on a base spec 2018 MBP and only even considering this because I view the keyboard as a ticking time bomb. Sure, I have 2 and a half years of keyboard warranty left but I've already had to have it replaced once and I can't be bothered to chance it any more.

Associate
Looks like base spec 16" MBPs are in Apple stores now. I'm tempted, since base is plenty good enough for what I'm using it for. Might go to Southampton to check it out today.

Southampton eh?
Can confirm the Southampton store has the new model, and apparently some of the higher end specs too. A friend dropped in today and tested out the keyboard, said it was really good.

Soldato
Yep they definitely had them in stock. Annoyingly, I placed my order and after 4 hours I still hadn't had a pickup confirmation. Went into the store anyway as I was nearby and they didn't have a clue what was going on and basically said I had to wait. I still had no pickup confirmation at 6pm so I just cancelled it because there's no way in hell I'm going near West Quay again any time soon. It was a nightmare today and it'll only get worse :)

Soldato
Southampton eh?
Can confirm the Southampton store has the new model, and apparently some of the higher end specs too. A friend dropped in today and tested out the keyboard, said it was really good.

Might have to wander down to my local store next week and take a look. I'll probably hold on until black Friday in the hope I can find a discount code to abuse :cool:

Soldato
Mine has shipped and will be delivered on Thursday, almost a week early which was a nice surprise.

What are the options for cases? The only one on the Apple store is a $200 leather case which I aren't too interested in. Will cases for the 15" MBP fit the new 16"?

Commissario
I had a play with one of these at the Lakeside shop yesterday. I was very impressed, it's a lovely laptop and one thing that jumped out at me straight away was the Touch Bar - Depending on the software you have running, it offered very appropriate options. I've never used a laptop with a Touch Bar before but I can see the appeal.

Soldato
OP
I had a play with one of these at the Lakeside shop yesterday. I was very impressed, it's a lovely laptop and one thing that jumped out at me straight away was the Touch Bar - Depending on the software you have running, it offered very appropriate options. I've never used a laptop with a Touch Bar before but I can see the appeal.

The Touch Bar for the most part has been fantastic for me and I've never really understood why there are so many complaints about it.

Surely it's down to developers to actually make better use of it? Although having haptic touch would be a nice addition.

Soldato
Had a play with one earlier today and it's a lovely piece of kit. Build is solid, screen is great and the increased 16" size makes it usable for doing pretty much anything. It's pretty much everything you want from a larger MacBook.

I would say though that whilst the new "magic keyboard" is better than the butterfly ones it's still not as good as the scissor mechanisms Apple had before. I find that pretty disappointing after they hyped it so much. It's still a bit stiff and lacking in travel for my liking.

Whilst I'm picking faults a SD card reader would have been appreciated on this size of device. Also, the size/weight put it firmly in the desktop replacement category though given the meaty specs it certainly fulfills That criteria. I wouldn't want to have to carry it around on a regular basis though!

Other than that I'm impressed by what they've done :cool:

Last edited:
Associate

Worth looking at this if you're interested in the touchbar

Soldato
Well I'm quite impressed with mine. In general it's great and I can only echo what most of the reviews are saying. I used Boot Camp to put Windows on and thought I'd give a couple of games a try. GTA V runs really well in 1080p but has an annoying issue where even in full screen mode it only seems to take up about 1/3 of the screen and I gave up trying to fix it. Forza Horizon 4 runs very nicely in 1080p with high details too and it actually does display in full screen.

Considering it's not a gaming laptop and I didn't buy it with the intention of gaming, I'm pleasantly surprised that it is actually possible to play stuff decently.

Soldato
However, one thing I am not so happy with is that there is a light mark on my trackpad. It is minor and not immediately obvious, but now I know it's there I can see it all the time and it will not clean off no matter what I use. I'm also a little concerned that it could spread/develop into something else over time. Am I an idiot for being annoyed about this? It's just with how much cash these things cost, I expect it to be perfect. I know it's minor, but even my now 6 year old MacBook Pro still has a perfect trackpad.

IMG-1078.jpg

Edit: Perhaps I was a little hasty. Earlier on when I first noticed it I tried rubbing it with a microfibre cloth, then used glass cleaner and even a tissue with a bit of isopropyl on it and it just kept coming back. I've just now used a tissue with a bit of warm water and washing up liquid on and it's completely vanished. Hopefully it doesn't make a miraculous reappearance :)

Last edited:
Soldato
My new 16 inch MacBook Pro arrived today.

got some disposing to do of some of my old devices...

pByz8ZB_d.jpg

Looking good. Would love to hear your thoughts once you've had it a few days and what, if any, of those other devices you'll be keeping afterwards.

Given you have a Razer Core are you planning on installing bootcamp on it for PC gaming?

Soldato
Looking good. Would love to hear your thoughts once you've had it a few days.

Given you have a Razer Core are you planning on installing bootcamp on it for PC gaming?

will be doing. Got a razer core X on chroma and a 5700xt on the way. Getting rid of my aloe Alienware 17 r3 and Alienware amplifier to use the MacBook for gaming and work.

Soldato
will be doing. Got a razer core X on chroma and a 5700xt on the way. Getting rid of my aloe Alienware 17 r3 and Alienware amplifier to use the MacBook for gaming and work.

Cool. I'm kind of mulling over ditching my, now 5 year old, gaming desktop PC and moving to a laptop the next time I upgrade as the Macbook 16" is plenty powerful enough for everthing I do. I rarely game on PC now anyway but it would be nice to know that an eGPU combined with the Macbook was an option if the onboard wasn't powerful enough for certain things like VR?

Back
Top Bottom