LG OLED C9 as a PC monitor - Yes, I'm crazy, Yes time to get some burn in.

Soldato
yeah but if ur gaming on a couple of 1080p tvs.. why waste money on a 2080ti..

dont get me wrong.. my best gaming moment of this year has been final fantasy tactics on my psp. graphics arent the be all and end all but i struggle to understand why people budget for a 2080ti and smack it with a disgusting screen.

Depends what you class as a disgusting screen? Anything not an OLED lol.

Not everyone cares about the best black levels or having the best hdr and not everyone wants to worry about burn or may not have the room for a large tv. Or just plain may not like some of the features OLED/tvs have.

First time I went to OLED I actually sent it back because of the 24p judder/banding/tinting issues. The QC for such an expensive set is bar on nonexistent to tell the truth.

Soldato
Every monitor I try is disgusting... BLB, glow, ghosting, dead/stuck pixels, gamma shift, the list goes on... maybe my standards are too high, but I see fault with every one I buy, and often at a price where there simply should be none.

OLED is far from ideal for a PC monitor, especially at the minimum 55", not to mention burn-in risk for those of us at our screens all day, but as an overall package, for the price they can be had now, it's hard not to look at any monitor and be disappointed, even if it's more practical and better suited.

Soldato
Every monitor I try is disgusting... BLB, glow, ghosting, dead/stuck pixels, gamma shift, the list goes on... maybe my standards are too high, but I see fault with every one I buy, and often at a price where there simply should be none.

OLED is far from ideal for a PC monitor, especially at the minimum 55", not to mention burn-in risk for those of us at our screens all day, but as an overall package, for the price they can be had now, it's hard not to look at any monitor and be disappointed, even if it's more practical and better suited.

Vast majority I’ve had have been great. I’ve had some dodgy ones sure but they have been promptly returned. My current LG isn’t perfect in every regard but it’s a great monitor for what I paid, £400.

Same story with any tech I guess.

I just simply wanted to put out there that OLED isn’t for everyone and it seems harsh to judge someone and call their screen disgusting because they don’t use one.

OLED is great but it isn’t perfect and has a lot of possible flaws on its own due to QC which I won’t go into.

Soldato
OP
Depends what you class as a disgusting screen? Anything not an OLED lol.

Not everyone cares about the best black levels or having the best hdr and not everyone wants to worry about burn or may not have the room for a large tv. Or just plain may not like some of the features OLED/tvs have.

First time I went to OLED I actually sent it back because of the 24p judder/banding/tinting issues. The QC for such an expensive set is bar on nonexistent to tell the truth.

No, not really mean. I mean I've handled a LOT of PC monitor screens and they are look gross compared to even high end TVs (such as my panasonic 902b).

The monitor space is plagued with BLB, light bleed, IPS glow etc Its kind of a joke.

Soldato
No, not really mean. I mean I've handled a LOT of PC monitor screens and they are look gross compared to even high end TVs (such as my panasonic 902b).

The monitor space is plagued with BLB, light bleed, IPS glow etc Its kind of a joke.

I have a VA LG and it’s reasonably good in terms of black levels and doesn’t have any glow or bleed of any kind. Most IPS gaming grade monitors are a joke though.

I had an IPS pg349q recently and that was just ghastly in terms of glow and bleed it was almost unwatchable in darker scenes. And considering the price, OLED any day of the week probably for cheaper!

Soldato
OP
I have a VA LG and it’s reasonably good in terms of black levels and doesn’t have any glow or bleed of any kind. Most IPS gaming grade monitors are a joke though.

I had an IPS pg349q recently and that was just ghastly in terms of glow and bleed it was almost unwatchable in darker scenes. And considering the price, OLED any day of the week probably for cheaper!

yeah i mean i have no doubt the much jerked over 38'' lg ultrawide will also look disgusting with lots of glow and uniformity issues.

one of the reasons i loved the CRG9 so much is that it was very uniform and had ok blacks with good dark room performance. however that had its own set of QA issues. sad cos sammy are onto a winner with that monitor.

Soldato
HDMI 2.0 can't supply the bandwidth

you can enable 4K 120hz in the driver but the picture has green lines running across it on the C9

Associate
I've been on the fence about getting the C9 for a few months now but think this may of pushed me over. Keeping an eye out over Black Friday ;)

I'm curious how you are doing the custom UW resolutions, are you forcing the game into that resolution via the nvidia control panel and running them fullscreen? or are you actually setting your dekstop resolution to the custom resolution before launching the game?

Back
Top Bottom