• Yes, but after launch

Votes: 24 6.3%
  • No

Votes: 286 75.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 49 12.9%

• Total voters
Soldato
Netflix doesn't have input lag and charge you Blu-Ray prices for a single movie.

Yep, there is little downside to streamed movies and the price difference is crazy. There are movies I've rented for $6.99 off apple store in 4k dolby vision - and the same movie on 4k bluray can cost up to $50.

Since physical video rental stores no longer exist, most consumers aren't going to pay nearly 10 times more for a bluray disc.

Soldato
Are they really ahead of the curve though? OnLive (Which was ahead of the curve) essentially shut down 6/7 years ago. And also there is PS Now which nobody wanted when it was sub AND buy games.

They really aren't ahead of any curve. The interesting thing they are doing is the controller connecting directly to the internet.

I know game streaming isnt a new thing but we are now getting into a technological age where is could be very good. Its broadly predicated on the wide availability of fibre based broadband.

When I say google is ahead of the curve, what I mean is that I think they have ran out of the traps a little early on this - but its the inevitable future of gaming.

Once 100 mb lines are the minimum standard then this type of service will likely be more popular. The only caveat to this is the pricing, which at the moment isnt justifiable.

Associate
Casuals will determine if Stadia is a success or not. Not a bunch of plebs on forums.

The demographic this is for doesn't care for image quality. Convenience is everything for them. Blu-Ray offers a far superior picture than Netflix, but that didn't stop consumers from buying into the service.

Absolute rubbish.

I'm absolutely the demographic this is aiming for and image quality is something I care about a lot. So let's not go there shall we.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Apparently Mortal Kombat costs £69.99 :eek:
Lol. Can get it for less than half that on the PC with with all DLC.

So much for saving money on hardware. You will spend all the money saved on hardware on software in no time with silly prices like that. And then if Google abandon it you will cry a river.

Associate
I haven't got the internet speeds to make this worthwhile, I'm hoping it does come off as the current model of buying physical and having a large download, or just a large download is becoming unsustainable.

You have to download for a full day to play a game and have the storage for said game. Much prefer this comes off, but don't think the current internet infrastructure in the wider world is anywhere near do-able.

Soldato
Absolute rubbish.

I'm absolutely the demographic this is aiming for and image quality is something I care about a lot. So let's not go there shall we.

If you have a decent gaming PC and/or a current gen console, then you aren't the target demographic for streaming. In the short-term maybe, because it's early days and tech early adopters...but companies aren't investing in streaming tech to satisfy nerds that already have gaming hardware.

The ultimate target demographic is anyone with a smart TV, make deals with TV manufacturers, sling a controller in and a built-in app in the box...then your TV ads for the next CoD or whatever literally have a 'Play Now' link pop up, zero barrier to a purchase....versus the huge barrier of getting a several hundred quid lump of electronics into someone's home and plumbed in.

Associate
If you have a decent gaming PC and/or a current gen console, then you aren't the target demographic for streaming. In the short-term maybe, because it's early days and tech early adopters...but companies aren't investing in streaming tech to satisfy nerds that already have gaming hardware.

The ultimate target demographic is anyone with a smart TV, make deals with TV manufacturers, sling a controller in and a built-in app in the box...then your TV ads for the next CoD or whatever literally have a 'Play Now' link pop up, zero barrier to a purchase....versus the huge barrier of getting a several hundred quid lump of electronics into someone's home and plumbed in.

I currently only have a Switch and WAS looking at Stadia to be that AAA gaming platform for me. So I am in that demographic.

But as I've posted previously, the message from Google as it got nearer just didn't sit right for me so I cancelled.

Man of Honour
Casuals will determine if Stadia is a success or not. Not a bunch of plebs on forums.

The demographic this is for doesn't care for image quality. Convenience is everything for them. Blu-Ray offers a far superior picture than Netflix, but that didn't stop consumers from buying into the service.

Seems like RDR 2 does run at 60fps:

You do post some rubbish. If image quality isn't important to the target market then why are they pushing it so hard as a selling point?

Associate
You have to download for a full day to play a game and have the storage for said game.

What games are you downloading?!?! Surely even with slow speeds any game csnt take more than 4 or so hours?

Personally I'd rather games stay physical. Its keep ls the retro scene going as well, in 20 years you wont be able to load up the ps3 and download one of the games your purchased digital but that's a whole different argument.

Associate
Anybody received theirs yet?
Mine hasn't been dispatched yet although the money has just left my account. I've just upgraded my internet to use this and psnow so fingers crossed.
Also just got accepted for the Xcloud preview which I checked out this morning playing Soul Calibur and Forza, it was decent but the lag was noticeable.

Soldato
What games are you downloading?!?! Surely even with slow speeds any game csnt take more than 4 or so hours?

Personally I'd rather games stay physical. Its keep ls the retro scene going as well, in 20 years you wont be able to load up the ps3 and download one of the games your purchased digital but that's a whole different argument.
The latest call of duty and red dead redemption 2 are around 120gb plus.

Soldato
Anybody received theirs yet?
Mine hasn't been dispatched yet although the money has just left my account. I've just upgraded my internet to use this and psnow so fingers crossed.
Also just got accepted for the Xcloud preview which I checked out this morning playing Soul Calibur and Forza, it was decent but the lag was noticeable.

Speaking of which I gave Bloodborne a quick go last night streaming via PSNow and I was actually pleasantly surprised. It's a lot better than it was a few years ago. I only ran past the first werewolf so didn't play much but it was definitely smoother than the last time I tried it (Uncharted 3).

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
and the rest, your forgetting how much the monthly rent is. :p
Yeah. What a joke. You need to pay for it if you want to play at 4K.

Loadsa, just imagine, this would kill your hobby... No posting latest drivers, no bitching about sli/crossfire or other driver issues, no benchmarking, no posting fake news aka WCCFTECH... How boring. Lol :p

Back
Top Bottom