Do you regret going curved screen?

Associate
Hi,

I've never used a curved screen so don't know if I'd prefer the 34GK950F over the 27GL850-B, has anyone else been in the same situation? Which did you pick? Main use would be FPS gaming and probably YouTube.

Cheers

Associate
I went from a 27" flat to a 34" curved and love it for gaming and general use, and to be honest, when playing you dont see the curve and the bonus of the aspect ratio makes it more immersive.

The only time i find it a problem is when editing photos as the curve gets in the way. If this isnt a problem for you go for the 34" curved!

Associate
I've had several curve screens , i have to say the curve is a novelty that you quickly get used to and forget is there , however what it does add is another complexity and I've never had a curved screen that hasn't had back light bleed in the corners, it seems to be an issue with curved screens and with already poor QC its another thing to add to panel lottery.

With curved screens its not a question of if you get back light bleed , but how bad the back light bleed is.

Caporegime
I've had several curve screens , i have to say the curve is a novelty that you quickly get used to and forget is there , however what it does add is another complexity and I've never had a curved screen that hasn't had back light bleed in the corners, it seems to be an issue with curved screens and with already poor QC its another thing to add to panel lottery.

With curved screens its not a question of if you get back light bleed , but how bad the back light bleed is.

Seems to be a major issue on IPS panels, VA is less prone but then there are other trade offs.

I’ve got a 34’ VA screen with no BLB but I don’t really love VA panels, response times aren’t great, sharpness is worse than IPS for text.

Caporegime
Curved? You want curved!??? This is mine, phaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat!!

image.png

Associate
OP
That's quite the curve, what's the monitor? You had the 34" LG one right too?

I'm thinking I might just go for it, fingers crossed I like it

Soldato
samsung crg9s NEED the curve. without it it will almost look as if its curving away from u like the lg oleds do on a desk if ur close to them.

i have no hesistancy in reccomending curved monitors for wide monitors. it DEFINITELY helps.. and its hard to appreciate the curve until u see a non curved variant.

Associate
I do not even notice the curve anymore.

I may be wrong but for the most part youtube will not be in ultrawide so you will have black bands (if there is a way to change this then let me know) and getting 144 fps on a 34" ultrawide will take some serious horsepower unless you drop some settings. Just keep that in mind if you really want max frames for fps games.

Soldato
No regrets here, had a curved monitor now coming up to half a decade and had one ever since as primary monitor. To be honest if your sitting in front of of, get used to it pretty quickly anyways and for 3440 x 1440 ultrawide, brings in the edges slightly into your vision. I think some panels out now have a more aggressive curve and not tried them, but suspect either way, you will quickly become used to it.

For 27" panel though, I would say its not massively important for a curved panel to be honest.

Most games these days also reasonable 3440 x 1440 support, more so modern titles which is nice. You mention Youtube being a use case, do be aware a lot of content is going to have black bars on the edges, so basically you will have the image in the centre in 2560 x 1440.

Associate
No regrets here. Went from flat 27" to curved 34".

100% go with the 34" ultrawide, I'll never go back to standard 16:9 monitors now.

Associate
samsung crg9s NEED the curve. without it it will almost look as if its curving away from u like the lg oleds do on a desk if ur close to them.

i have no hesistancy in reccomending curved monitors for wide monitors. it DEFINITELY helps.. and its hard to appreciate the curve until u see a non curved variant.
+1

CF791 here. Happy as, exact would like HDR

Soldato
I like my 34" curved ultrawide. Though if it ever fails on me I'd probably consider replacing it with a flat 40" 4k 16:9 monitor as I don't feel the curve/aspect really make that big a difference.

Associate
OP
Cheers all. How do you find going to work and using a flat screen and then coming home and using a curved screen, or even both at home if you work from home for example?

Associate
Cheers all. How do you find going to work and using a flat screen and then coming home and using a curved screen, or even both at home if you work from home for example?
I work from home and use mine for a lot of spreadsheet work and its fine. The curve does not matter, it is the space I get with my Samsung LC27HG70 that makes the difference.

Soldato

Even flat 34 inchers look like they curve away. 49" would be mental lol

Soldato
I've just been reading through this thread and as someone who has never used a curved monitor I am surprised at the lack of regrets switching from flat to curved.

I'm in the market for two monitors for my work and I'd be tempted to go curved if someone who works with 3D CAD software daily would recommend curved. Any Inventor or Solidworks users here?

Back
Top Bottom