Leasing advice please

Soldato
Hi all, I'm assuming some of you guys on here have far more experience in leasing than myself so can possibly advise.

I decided for my next car I'd try leasing, I know a few people who have been leasing for years etc, and since I normally change cars anyway every 2 or 3 years, I thought why not.

I place an order back in May, and at the time I was given an estimated delivery date of - end of August, that seemed okay for me so I placed the order. Since then, for no real reason, it has been delay after delay after delay. It kept getting pushed back a few days or weeks at a time.

Can they just keep doing this indefinitely without any consequence? I kept delaying selling my own car as these delays kept happening but in the end I sold mine around 2-3 weeks ago. As you've guessed, it was further delayed and I'm still waiting. I found out that they've actually been contributing towards a temporary hire car, for someone else who also placed the same order as myself, around the same time. I've no idea on what basis he was selected, when I asked they said they can't offer anything. Am I within my rights to demand the same? They have pretty much said you can cancel if you want, and that's it, knowing full well if I order from elsewhere I'm back to square one again. Anyone been here before?

Thanks.

Soldato
You could cancel and find an in stock lease car, plenty available if your flexible. If you want something exotic or many options you will have to wait.

Associate
Flexibility is the key to leasing...if you are after something specific then it can work out expensive. You need to see what cars they have on offer.

Associate
When leasing, the petrol version that I wanted, would take 4 months, but I would safely estimate much longer. Went for a diesel in stock. Not an issue, if you are careful and allow it's regenerations.
The issue is that many manufacturers are validating their lineups for the new emissions. And considering the large range available, takes time.
For some odd reason, few months ago was cheaper to lease a 2.0tdi auto golf, than the 1.6tdi auto.
I went with the A-Class, 200d AMG line. But unable to select the Executive or Premium package. But would choose it again over the 180d, which was also available, but with Executive or Premium package available, but again, for some reason, even at the like per like spec, more expensive than the nicer engine. Carwow leases was unbeatable. Worthy checking around and cancel your actual contract.

Soldato
You take your chances with a lease car that's not in stock when you sign up. This sort of thing happens regularly, especially if you've got a good deal with a lot of support from the manufacturer. Often they get more orders than they want and I do wonder if they hold the orders on the off chance of a sales slowdown or just want you to cancel rather than they admit they can't supply the car.

I had a Volvo on order in April for September delivery - with contingency because I didn't actually need it until October. I queried in August and was told end of November. When I said I wanted to cancel miraculously they had a cancelled order in a different colour and they could swap the build slot and deliver in September! I was fed up by this point and just went out and bought a something instead. If I was leasing again I'd only consider stuff in stock.

Caporegime
I buy all my cars cash. But if I was in your shoes I would have traded in my car against the lease if that was possible. Therefore you don't get rid until the new one arrives.

Associate
Forgive my ignorance. But I've recently immigrated. What would the difference between car leasing and pcp be ? The balloon payment at the end of the term ?

Soldato
OP
Out of curiosity, what did you order? Also was it through a broker or directly with a main dealer?

It was through Arnold Clark Mercedes Benz.

You could cancel and find an in stock lease car, plenty available if your flexible. If you want something exotic or many options you will have to wait.

Flexibility is the key to leasing...if you are after something specific then it can work out expensive. You need to see what cars they have on offer.

I was very flexible tbh, the only real requirements I had were:
Auto, 4/5 door, 0-60 in sub 8 sec.

I'm coming from a big 1.5 family diesel which was great for my 400 mile weekly commute but offered nothing in terms of driving pleasure, it just did the job. New workplace a lot more local meant I wanted something with more power, and something that was more enjoyable to drive which doesn't narrow it down much, so yes, very flexible hence why I went down the lease route.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
When leasing, the petrol version that I wanted, would take 4 months, but I would safely estimate much longer. Went for a diesel in stock. Not an issue, if you are careful and allow it's regenerations.
The issue is that many manufacturers are validating their lineups for the new emissions. And considering the large range available, takes time.
For some odd reason, few months ago was cheaper to lease a 2.0tdi auto golf, than the 1.6tdi auto.
I went with the A-Class, 200d AMG line. But unable to select the Executive or Premium package. But would choose it again over the 180d, which was also available, but with Executive or Premium package available, but again, for some reason, even at the like per like spec, more expensive than the nicer engine. Carwow leases was unbeatable. Worthy checking around and cancel your actual contract.

What did you order? That was the other part of the question. :)

I ordered an A250 AMG Line with Premium Pack.

Soldato
OP
The most recent update from them was this afternoon: 'It should be arriving with us today and we can have it delivered to you next Thursday'.

That's all well and good but they emailed me back in October telling me it was delayed and asking me what position it left me in, in terms of having a vehicle. They have subsequently ignored all my replies to that email, almost as though they never asked. I then find they have been offering at least one other customer, possibly others, money towards a hire car whilst they are waiting for this.

In May, I was given the end of Aug as an estimated delivery date. We are now 3 months on!?! If I'd have known it would have taken this long I probably wouldn't have ordered but cancelling right now doesn't really put me in a better position.

Soldato
OP
Lol I had a 330ci coupe many years ago but then I had kids and it didn't stay for long. Unfortunately, 4 doors is an absolute must!

The deal I got was reasonable at the time, I've not been looking since then so maybe better are available now? It was 6+23 for £272, and that includes services and maintenance pack (tyres etc).

Soldato
If you don't get sorted I saw a C300d AMG-Line Premium Auto in stock ~£288pm, it's a 9+23 though so big upfront payment, averages at £384 per month once you factor in the upfront, so not amazing.

What was the upfront on the A-class?

Soldato
OP
It was approx £1600 upfront which I paid over a month ago when they said, 'your car should be arriving with us in a few days, please make the initial payment asap so we can process things as quickly as possible'. They also at that point had the vehicle registration plate, so I thought, at last.

I've still got the option to cancel with a full refund. As I've kicked off with them and raised a complaint I get a phone call this morning saying, please forward us a quote for a hire car for yourself for the next week and we will see what we can do. How much is a Porsche 911 Turbo for a week? :p

Back
Top Bottom