Why do content producers/sellers make it so difficult to watch sometimes?

Soldato
Example:

Tried to watch an episode of Downton Abbey on Amazon Prime with my laptop connected to the TV via HDMI. Prime player complained my devices weren't HDCP compliant so would not play. I had to download a pirate copy to watch.

Tried to stream an episode of GBBO from the All4 app on my phone via Airplay to the AppleTV. Would not work.

Why do they make it so difficult just to watch their god damn stuff?!

Soldato
Um, because they need to protect their content. Allowing people to mirror via HDMI or Airplay means they can also intercept and rip the stream very quickly and easily; they want to stop that. It's the same reason they make it hard to rip DVDs and Blurays. Buy yourself a £25 FireTV stick and both of those problems would be resolved.

Soldato
OP
Um, because they need to protect their content. Allowing people to mirror via HDMI or Airplay means they can also intercept and rip the stream very quickly and easily; they want to stop that. It's the same reason they make it hard to rip DVDs and Blurays. Buy yourself a £25 FireTV stick and both of those problems would be resolved.
I just want to use the hardware that I’ve got though.

Soldato
Doesn't apple tv have the all4 app? Thought it had all the uk streaming apps.

Fire stick doesn't have now tv which is annoying, have to use another device just to use one service but sky have always been difficult.

Soldato
OP
My brain wasnt working this morning. I forgot you need an AppleTV to do Airplay.

There's definitely an All 4 and Amazon Prime app on the AppleTV. Just use those, easy :confused:

I'll have to check again as I don't remember seeing the All4 app.

Amazon Prime is being used outside of the home to connect to a TV in a cottage. No AppleTV here.

Soldato
Why do they make it so difficult just to watch their god damn stuff?!
Don't know and don't care, personally.
If I have to pay for certain types of TV and apps and sticks and boxes and devices and accounts, all just to watch a bit of TV.... I just either get it 'elsewhere' or go read a book - Stuff the greedy moneygrabbing lot of 'em and stuff 'em with their own (mostly substandard) content. It's probably cheaper to go up the cinema anyway, nowadays, even with modern ticket prices!!

Soldato
OP
Don't know and don't care, personally.
If I have to pay for certain types of TV and apps and sticks and boxes and devices and accounts, all just to watch a bit of TV.... I just either get it 'elsewhere' or go read a book - Stuff the greedy moneygrabbing lot of 'em and stuff 'em with their own (mostly substandard) content. It's probably cheaper to go up the cinema anyway, nowadays, even with modern ticket prices!!

that’s basically what I often end up doing. If they’re going to make it difficult, I ain’t going to watch it. No skin off my nose.

Off-topic but related: I think Spotify (etc) have the right idea. You pay your subs and it doesn't matter which device you use whether it's desktop, laptop or phablet. Then the attached peripheral you use doesn't matter either whether it's loudspeaker, earphones, desktop speakers or a sound bar. Then all you need after that is a connection to the internet.

Surely film streaming should be the same in principle? You've got a computer/device, a screen, a set of headphones or speakers or sound bar, an internet connection and then away you go? It seems silly that you have everything you need already but you then have to buy another piece of kit, when in theory your original kit should be enough.

Soldato

Behave.

All it does is inconvenience people. DRM does NOTHING but annoy consumers.

Soldato
All it does is inconvenience people. DRM does NOTHING but annoy consumers.
Hardly. DRM is pretty integral for content-owners to protect their assets. If duplicating a Netflix show was as easy as hitting ctrl+c and ctrl+v then they'd a heck of a lot of business.

Soldato
Um, because they need to protect their content. Allowing people to mirror via HDMI or Airplay means they can also intercept and rip the stream very quickly and easily; they want to stop that.

I had to download a pirate copy to watch.

So that worked well then! :D

By making it incredibly difficult for someone to actually view their stuff legally, they're almost making the decision to pirate so much easier because it works, whereas the legal method doesn't. Seems pretty stupid to me when the pirates are always going to win in the long run i.e. always be able to rip stuff.

Back
Top Bottom