Mountain Biking

Soldato
Any recommendations on rucksacks for mountain bike trials, I’ve got two sons so enough for some refreshments and a snack phones and bits? Few on the forest just not sure whats best
Something with a suspended back so you don't get a sweaty back. I like Osprey packs.

Associate
Any recommendations on rucksacks for mountain bike trials, I’ve got two sons so enough for some refreshments and a snack phones and bits? Few on the forest just not sure whats best
after trying a few through the years, I've been using an Osprey Raptor for the last couple years and it's been great. Sure, it's not the cheapest, but v good.

Soldato
Check out ebay for osprey bags. I picked up an 11l and 22l for under £30 each. The 11 especially just gets caked in mud on the bike so seemed pointless spending £70 on something that would stay in "new" condition for all of 20 minutes :p

Caporegime
Check out ebay for osprey bags. I picked up an 11l and 22l for under £30 each. The 11 especially just gets caked in mud on the bike so seemed pointless spending £70 on something that would stay in "new" condition for all of 20 minutes :p

They also have a second life site.

I've got an Osprey, after owning numerous cheap bags. It's so much comfier to wear. I use it for everything.

Ske

Ske

Associate
Another +1 for Osprey. Bought a Viper 9 like, 2 years ago? Still going strong! Great bag.

I'm also a big fan of the CamelBak Repack LR. Don't judge :p

Soldato
I've got an Osprey Syncro and it's great.
They also have a second life site.
It's not as good for the cheaper backpacks because they charge £10 shipping on the second life site (but free shipping on the retail site) which reduces the saving. You can usually find their cycling backpacks on Wiggle/CRC at 30-40% off so it's probably not worth buying the b-grade stuff directly from Osprey.

Soldato
Time to change my first bottom bracket this week! It's a PF30 so hoping it wont be too difficult! Current one feels like it is shot, loads of creaking and grinding and when you spin the pedals backwards they stop instantly when you let go. It has done 2000 miles of pretty hard pedaling in either bad/muddy weather or dry & dusty throughout the lakes, peak district and north wales.

Soldato
Thinking about getting a hardtail through cycle2work at work with a max budget of £1k or just over. They use https://www.cyclesolutions.co.uk/bikes/mountain-bikes/male this place. I really like the look of the Orbea Alma but these all look to be sold out in medium. Is there anything else decent here. The Scott Scale looks good too? Is there much difference between SLX and SRAM Eagle? Also 27.5 or 29?

Soldato
Got a family pass for Chicksands Bike Park for the year, me my two sons and my brother ..... great fun for a year ..... can’t wait to get up there again!!!!

its good fun, especially in the wet as its still totally rideable
Nice woods round the outside too for a bit of loamy fun
Dont forget to visit Brink nearby, its got lots of fancy stuff and nice coffee

Soldato
Has anyone ever put tapered forks on a straight head tube with an adaptor?

Interested to hear any success/fail stories.

I love the geometry on my hardtail (I can quite literally ride it all day whereas the long/slack generation of bikes don't do me much good) but the forks are crap so I want to upgrade but it doesn't seem like there are any decent options for 100-120mm 29" xc forks with a straight steerer.

If it's not possible to whack a set of good tapered forks on then it's new bike time but I'd rather spend a few hundred quid than a couple of grand if at all possible!

Soldato
Has anyone ever put tapered forks on a straight head tube with an adaptor?

Interested to hear any success/fail stories.

I love the geometry on my hardtail (I can quite literally ride it all day whereas the long/slack generation of bikes don't do me much good) but the forks are crap so I want to upgrade but it doesn't seem like there are any decent options for 100-120mm 29" xc forks with a straight steerer.

If it's not possible to whack a set of good tapered forks on then it's new bike time but I'd rather spend a few hundred quid than a couple of grand if at all possible!

My current bike has a straight tube and in using a tapered fork.
Just needed the correct hope top and bottom headset. No different to any other setup really.

Back
Top Bottom