Giving up Nicotine

Soldato
Is it the comedian "gay" guy with the annoying voice? Funny man?
No it's not the annoying him :D The book works some phycological magic (well it did for me) As said before I read the book, smoked whilst reading the book (as advised if you choose to by the book) and haven't smoked in 18 years. Don't knock it until you've tried it ;) I think you can even download it as a free PDF nowadays. Good luck either way with your journey to being nicotine free.

Associate
SNIP
Maybe thats the key really motivating yourself to hate the people who profit from the vapes?

The vast majority of the vape industry consist of small businesses, nearly always started by people who found vaping really helpful, and wanted to help others.
Sure, there are those that jumped in for the money. But on the whole it's a very altruistic industry. They don't deserve to be hated.

Caporegime
No it's not the annoying him :D The book works some phycological magic (well it did for me) As said before I read the book, smoked whilst reading the book (as advised if you choose to by the book) and haven't smoked in 18 years. Don't knock it until you've tried it ;) I think you can even download it as a free PDF nowadays. Good luck either way with your journey to being nicotine free.

I don't smoke but can you summarise this magic book plz.

Soldato
I don't smoke but can you summarise this magic book plz.

Essentially you are not giving something up, you are gaining all the benefits of not smoking. I read it and it helped but didn't make me quit.

I echo what others in here have said (and in the book in fact), once you give up do not be tempted to have 'just the one' because you've now quit. You'll be amazed how that spirals in to you smoking again. I gave up for a year before starting again for no reason.

Quit for good now though.

Soldato
I went the Champix route to quit smoking, felt like death warmed up on the final week of the course of the treatment but got there. This was 5 years ago, do I feel any better for it, not in the slightest. But my flat certainly feels the benefit as it is not nicotine stained and smelly.

Soldato
You raise a good point, but smoking isn't what I'm trying to give up.

It's not by Allan Carr the comedian, it's by another person by the same name. :)

I would also recommend a book by Ben Goldacre called "Bad Science". It's got nothing to do with smoking or addiction, it's about the tactics employed by marketing to convince us of certain things. It's hard to explain, but I highly recommend it.

Good luck, I won't post much more as I've said all I can and don't want to come across as preaching.

Soldato
OP
It's not by Allan Carr the comedian, it's by another person by the same name. :)

I would also recommend a book by Ben Goldacre called "Bad Science". It's got nothing to do with smoking or addiction, it's about the tactics employed by marketing to convince us of certain things. It's hard to explain, but I highly recommend it.

Good luck, I won't post much more as I've said all I can and don't want to come across as preaching.

Oh honestly mate, it's fine :) I don't mind you contributing. I think people work in different ways and I've never been one for reading books or the like to kerb habits. I normally get to a point in life where I decide that enough is enough. In this case, I feels like the right time and I started the thread out of curiosity about others who may have traveled a similar path.

I don't know if I'll go back to it yet, but it's not something that I intend to reverse. Habit is probably the worst part, like driving while vaping, breaks at work, driving to my Mrs in Surrey...just stuff that makes vaping easy or to help pass the time. If I regress, then I know its not the right time - but I'm conscious that it's something I wish to break.

Associate
Somebody mentioned champix - it is very good, but for some people it can give mental health issues, vivid bad dreams etc.

How does it work (in reality)? First few days of taking tablets while smoking, no difference, then suddenly cigarettes taste DISGUSTING, to the point you gag after every draw and stub it out after a few.

Problem is, you are still mentally hooked and get very aggravated (not good combo with champix), and users tend to just stop taking the tabs.

Associate
I quit a few years back, this was before vaping was a thing.

Only way was going cold turkey. It wasn't easy but it's the only thing that worked.

Soldato
I gave up after almost 50 years of smoking cigarettes, pipe and cigar smoking. It took me a long time on nicotine replacements. Then also having to withdraw from those as well. I am now free of cravings but occasionally I think 'I would really enjoy a good cigar.' So I suppose I am not totally free.

Associate
Somebody mentioned champix - it is very good, but for some people it can give mental health issues, vivid bad dreams etc.

How does it work (in reality)? First few days of taking tablets while smoking, no difference, then suddenly cigarettes taste DISGUSTING, to the point you gag after every draw and stub it out after a few.

Problem is, you are still mentally hooked and get very aggravated (not good combo with champix), and users tend to just stop taking the tabs.

I got vivid, almost film-like dreams on Champix that I actually quite enjoyed! Also makes you feel sick if taken on an empty stomach.Other than that it took 0 effort to give up smoking because it makes the nicotene do nothing, so all you are left with is the taste of cigarettes (which is pretty bad when you are getting no hit from it). I did not get any heightened levels of aggravation or anything like that.

I had tried pretty much every other method in this thread (including Allen Carr!) and Champix was 100 times easier than anything else for me.

Associate
I find myself in a similar situation only difference is I have never smoked cigs. Smoked a lot of shisha which turned into vaping and contemplating giving it up. Dont have any other reason than I feel I should. As others have said it just cant be good for your body to be inhaling anything other than oxygen.

I just enjoy it so much.

Soldato
I quit back in May 2012 and did it with patches and gum. Allen Carr book did nothing for me and vaping made my anxiety sky rocket (it gave me the jitters, though I do already have an Anxiety disorder). But with patches/gum I found it really easy! I do sometimes (very very rarely) see someone smoking and think 'ooh that would be nice', but I haven't given in yet :)

Don't think there is one set way for everyone to quit, different things work for different people.

Back
Top Bottom