Contaminated petrol courtesy of Tesco

Caporegime
T
I love the idea of my local oily rag dealer running a fuel contamination test like something out of CSI/NCIS.
I spent the last 3 weeks specing up and pricing a Lab for a refinery, believe me they haven't got the gear.

Unless they are testing for something truly obvious (water so bad you can see it in the sample or particulates so bad you can see them) they aint finding anything.

I'm sure the car threw an error code related to fuel, but as people have said unless a lot of people at the same filling station have the same problem then I would imagine they are going to say its not their fault.
They could just send it to their friends at an oil company as a favour though.

Soldato
OP
Tesco allegedly checked the pump at the petrol station I used and said there were no contaminants or reported problems with other cars during the time period I filled up.

I also dont believe a single word Honda said to me either as each person I dealt with kept singing a different tune. If I had to guess I'd put it down to condensation like some others have speculated in this thread.

Never the less I wont be puting cheap fuel in ever again as I only ever stuck Shell V Power in my last Honda and it never once went into limp penis mode in eight years.

Man of Honour
Tesco allegedly checked the pump at the petrol station I used and said there were no contaminants or reported problems with other cars during the time period I filled up.

I also dont believe a single word Honda said to me either as each person I dealt with kept singing a different tune. If I had to guess I'd put it down to condensation like some others have speculated in this thread.

Never the less I wont be puting cheap fuel in ever again as I only ever stuck Shell V Power in my last Honda and it never once went into limp penis mode in eight years.
So their promised analysis paperwork never appeared then?

Soldato

Use Tesco momentum then?
Basically the same as shell vpower for 10-20p less per L.

Shell have also had their fair share of fuel station issues. Not limited to Tesco.

Caporegime
But very different additives that give the cleaning. There’s more than just octane and power. Most UK fuel will have 5% ethanol.

Soldato
But very different additives that give the cleaning. There’s more than just octane and power. Most UK fuel will have 5% ethanol.
Heh, cleaning.
If I wanted to clean my cylinder I'd just chuck a bottle of redex in. Which is £1 a tank full.
Still cheaper

Soldato
LOL. NEVER heard something so ridiculous.
Voided warranty for using redex. Which is virtually untraceable when mixed 100:1

My car has a warning on the fuel cover to not use any additives.

A question for you, local Shell matches the Tesco unleaded price so VPower is only 3p a litre more than Momentum 99 would you pay that for the better cleaning ability ? Also if Tesco sold Tesco Value oil with the right ratings would you use that in your engine or pay more for Mobil or Castrol oil ?

Soldato

A question for you, local Shell matches the Tesco unleaded price so VPower is only 3p a litre more than Momentum 99 would you pay that for the better cleaning ability ? Also if Tesco sold Tesco Value oil with the right ratings would you use that in your engine or pay more for Mobil or Castrol oil ?

And yet dealers use additives themselves. Manufactures even sell them.

Mazda Zoom Power Cleaner.
BMW fuel additive.
https://www.group1auto.co.uk/bmw/bmw-fuel-additive

That's just two off the top of my head.

Caporegime

How do you know Vpower cleans better? There's never any decent proof I've seen, just marketing fluff.

Soldato
local Shell matches the Tesco unleaded price so VPower is only 3p a litre more than Momentum 99
wow thats a small difference Cambridge momentum 129.9 , 95 121.9 and V-power ...it's going to be 140
.... I don't drive past it any more - you're sure you don't pay over the odds for Momentum ?

How do you know Vpower cleans better?
from the seat of your pants and the idling behaviour ... well it's doing something versus M99 ... depends on sound proofing to hear the engine

Back
Top Bottom