• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

really getting fed up with the posts stating RTX/DLSS does not work this gen

Man of Honour
Really quick and dirty test so pretty simple and unfinished scene/rendering errors but impressive for Quake 2 engine hah

awTXjZd.jpg

EoXS03a.jpg

And what it looks like to get 60 FPS on a GTX1070 LOL!

t5ZxoUy.png

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Unless you're spending a lot of money on the higher end 4k screens, they actually have a worse picture quality. If you want something with 120hz (more important for gaming) AND a good picture you need to spend closer to £2000...

Gaming on 1440 with 120hz is much nicer than a sloppy 4k panel.

Lol. Nice change your goal posts. I think you will find that on a calibrated 60Hz panel like mine it looks very good. I do not play online or any twitch gaming so it is fine and image quality is on another level to 1440p hence why I could not go back to it (believe me, my wallet really wanted to). Pretty sure even Kaapstad only has 60Hz panel.

Basically what you are saying is 4K high fps is very hard/expensive to achieve which is true. But you should just say that. Lucky for me I only ever need 60fps so do not really need much more grunt than people on potato resolutions that want 144fps minimums :p;)

Non-native resolutions never look as good.

RDR2 runs fine on mid range cards. In fact, people are having a better experience with it on AMD cards.

Actually many new games offer a in game resolution scaler and I can reduce resolution quite a bit there if needed and it still looks better than native 1440p ;)

That's why my panel is 4k 120hz :) But AMD and Nvidia need to get the finger out of the bum and release better graphics cards.

;)

Really quick and dirty test so pretty simple and unfinished scene/rendering errors but impressive for Quake 2 engine hah

awTXjZd.jpg

EoXS03a.jpg

And what it looks like to get 60 FPS on a GTX1070 LOL!

t5ZxoUy.png
That does look good for a Quake 2 engine Rroff :D

Lol at the last image of it being rendered on your 1070 :p

Soldato
There are enough university graduates out there looking for work, crowdfunding a PC exclusive or two shouldn’t be impossible.

May be the only way to break away from console dependency and produce something of value.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Dell UltraSharp UP3216Q

I will upgrade to a 120htz or even 144htz 4k monitor in the near future when I find a good 32" one.
Will also upgrade to something like that myself. But probably in 2 years time. Right now happy with what I got. From time to time I fancy trying out something new, but I have to remind myself how painful it can be buying monitors where you end up with either dead pixels, or backlight bleed etc. Just too much hassle when what I have is just fine. Even this monitor it was on the 2nd one that it came out fine, the 1st one I got had dead pixels and severe backlight bleed.

Besides I am getting an OLED TV in the near future so that will scratch my itch for a good while. It will be g-sync/freesync and 4K 120Hz over HDMI 2.1 so can always connect the PC to it now and then once the 3070 finally comes out. Won’t happen often though, my PC case is huge and heavy so can’t be asked taking that down to the living room and back up all the time. Lol. That is why I will be getting a PS5 for the OLED for living room gaming :D

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
move the OLED to the PC then :p
Haha. The OLED will be replacing my current wall mounted Plasma in the living room. It is also too big for my desk.

If they ever made a 40” version I would buy it and use it as a monitor actually as it is the best display tech out there. I think I would be fine in regards to burn in as I can just set a screen saver to come on for every 1 or 2 minutes of inactivity. Can also do things like hide windows bar etc.

Soldato
Haha. The OLED will be replacing my current wall mounted Plasma in the living room. It is also too big for my desk.

If they ever made a 40” version I would buy it and use it as a monitor actually as it is the best display tech out there. I think I would be fine in regards to burn in as I can just set a screen saver to come on for every 1 or 2 minutes of inactivity. Can also do things like hide windows bar etc.

LG will be selling 48 inch OLEDs from January 2020

Soldato
I agree with grim5 on this, Skyrim looked outdated on release. Just look at other games of that time, Battlefield 3, Metro 2033, Crysis 2, Witcher 2 etc.

I never got the hype around Skyrim, it had really bad floaty combat and the quests were awful compared to Morrowind/Oblivion, especially the guilds.

Lost all hope in Bethesda after Skyrim > Fallout 4 > Fallout 76, a once great developer reduced to a pile of rubbish just like Bioware.

It's a great shame/disappointment that Bethesda own the Fallout IP.

They have turned into an awful anti-gamer company, and one one I shall avoid for the foreseeable.

Man of Honour
So... I did the best I could with the Quake 2 engine LOL

KZR1FF5.jpg

e9cQSpf.jpg

Bare in mind that is all made with misusing the stock textures and all the geometry limitations of a 20 odd year old engine (the smallest shape you can make is over 1 inch large and scale between the units used and representation ingame is way off reality and in some cases you can't even make stuff to scale without the geometry exploding) and I'm no artist... but if you can look past that the lighting with caustics and indirect effects is nice. Ironically despite ray traced reflections being slated for being over the top there doesn't seem to be a pure mirror material shipped with Quake 2 RTX so I had to poorly use a TV screen type surface.

Soldato
So... I did the best I could with the Quake 2 engine LOL

KZR1FF5.jpg

e9cQSpf.jpg

Bare in mind that is all made with misusing the stock textures and all the geometry limitations of a 20 odd year old engine (the smallest shape you can make is over 1 inch large and scale between the units used and representation ingame is way off reality and in some cases you can't even make stuff to scale without the geometry exploding) and I'm no artist... but if you can look past that the lighting with caustics and indirect effects is nice. Ironically despite ray traced reflections being slated for being over the top there doesn't seem to be a pure mirror material shipped with Quake 2 RTX so I had to poorly use a TV screen type surface.
It still looks unbelievably good, I especially like the person in the shower

Man of Honour
It still looks unbelievably good, I especially like the person in the shower

Sadly to get that kind of quality without a lot of sample noise/smearing and playable framerates at that kind of resolution even a 2080ti barely cuts it - to get approx. 60 FPS on my 1070 it ends up like below and has a fair bit of noise in the image and streaks from the gun on faster movement, etc.

o45uErZ.png

Still pretty impressive though it is even working at all at playable framerates at late 1990s resolutions hah using non-dedicated hardware.

Back
Top Bottom