Winter 2019/2020

Man of Honour
Hell no, I don't want another 2010 winter. We had 4 feet of snow and a whole month below zero. The lowest temps were -13 degrees C during the day and -23 degrees C at night. It was a nightmare. The only time I have been colder and seen more snow was being based on top of a mountain on West Falkland in their Winter.

Man of Honour
OP
18Z updates are an improvement

5U74Jdb.png

Still everything to play for but good support for the potential for wintery weather - more so than the 12Z runs.

EDIT: 0Z the control and operational runs are all reaching at milder conditions while the ensembles are all over the place - which isn't so good on the face of it but IMO with a potential SSW event in play an indication that the models aren't able to nail down anything.

mJDGMyH.png

Way beyond the scope of my knowledge and needs combining with other data to tell any kind of story but that looks very potent for polar disruption and potential cold outbreaks

Other factors like the jet stream and NAO are marginal - not good, not terrible in terms of potential for wintery weather in the UK. Sun continues to be quiet without sunspot activity as far as that goes though some minor geomagnetic storming.

Data from www.theweatheroutlook.com

Last edited:
Soldato
That's not that cold. I only recall one winter in the past decade where it got really cold here. I would not mind a cold winter: we lost a lot of elms to Dutch Elm disease this year because last winter wasn't cold enough.

I remember in the 80's and early 90's when it stayed below freezing for an entire month all the pipes were freezing up including the soil pipe on the toilet. That was fun chucking hot water down the toilet to thaw it out or there would be an unpleasant event occurring otherwise.

In scotland it dropped to -20 I remember even the sea started to freeze over.

Man of Honour
OP
Yeah I don't really remember winters like that - I think there have only been two in my lifetime in this country I've seen proper icicles forming from pipes and gutters, etc. I think the coldest I've ever seen in this country was -10C and that was only overnight once.

Soldato
ok yes it is officially winter
nothing grates more than folk going on about 'the winter' in Autumn
you think autumn is bad wait until the cold dark days on jan or feb :p
it's a lot milder today anyway

Soldato

Meteorologically speaking, it's winter as of 1st December. But astronomically speaking it's not winter until 22nd December.

Caporegime

For me there's 2 seasons. Summer and not summer.

This year I remember the day summer ended We were in the sea and it was stonking warm. Then this gigantic cloud came over And I said, I bet that's the end of summer. It was. But had a lovely warm summer in Wales. And I'm eagerly awaiting next summer

Associate
For me there's 2 seasons. Summer and not summer.

This year I remember the day summer ended We were in the sea and it was stonking warm. Then this gigantic cloud came over And I said, I bet that's the end of summer. It was. But had a lovely warm summer in Wales. And I'm eagerly awaiting next summer

This story gave me chills. :D

Associate
I would love to see nothing more than a good few weeks of deep snow bringing this country into chaos for the pure and simple fact we as a country never learn and cant cope..a dusting and everything stops! Pah! Not so hopeful however for anything significant...

Back
Top Bottom