Ford Mustang Mach-E

Soldato
Who cares what it's for? It's just a mini computer. It can be any shape and fitting...

They make them a non-standard fitting and stick all the controls on it because they want the return business years later. When users have no other option if they want their media, heating and AC to work. Same reason Apple made their USB ports odd shapes.
I agree it makes me mad that I can't fit an aftermarket head unit with pre-outs & subwoofer outputs in my car and I got put up with the crappy built in head unit..:(:mad:

Soldato
so with the tablet screens in teslas or mach-e they are not Android/linux based with any possibility of a USB based sound output to an external DAC ...
sounds like you'd be better off using your phone for music.

Soldato
hadn't seen these E interior shots (redners?) before - boots what i wanted to see.
https://www.core77.com/posts/91332/...ach-E?utm_source=core77&utm_medium=from_title.

so with the tablet screens in teslas or mach-e they are not Android/linux based with any possibility of a USB based sound output to an external DAC ...
interesting blog on model3 audio upgrades https://www.travisllado.com/2019/05/tesla-model-3-stereo-part-9-summary-and.html
I haven't started to tear apart the interior of my Model 3 and line everything with insulation just yet. Today I wanted to analyze what's going on inside the factory stereo system. I'm not aware of any method to tap directly into un-equalized, un-split audio coming out of the car's computer, so in all likelihood I'll have to use a signal processor to combine speaker signals and reconstitute the original unaltered audio signal.
As I said previously, the Tesla Model 3 with the Premium Options Package has a very good stereo. It's highly above average, compared to other factory stereos.
I did a spectrum analysis on the OEM speakers and got more or less textbook results. 40-60Hz is boosted way above everything else, because that's what people seem to like these days, but otherwise our spectrum looks very good.

Soldato
There is no denying its a bit of an ugly duck its still a good effort for the money.

What are those range numbers quoted as? EPA? ELTP NEDC? Real world? Either way 200 miles from 75kwh "isn't great". If manufacturers could get the efficiency up to Tesla levels they could put in smaller batteries and reduce their build cost considerably.

Soldato
Likely to be WLTP Test energy low. A lot of the core OEMs tend to use less of the installed battery capacity ontop of some efficient deficiencies that results in a large variance in range.

edit: just looked, seems approx range as final WLTP numbers will be available 2020. 370mile on the extended Range RWD version.

Last edited:
Soldato
front looks much better in a contrast with radiator black and blue car (unlike BMW g20 ... that one on fifth gear)
https://jalopnik.com/the-2021-ford-mustang-mach-e-configurator-is-live-heres-1839946820

has 15% more down seat boot-space than a model 3, but where is the beauty reference in the ev field ?
if anything they seem to be making EV's unnecessarily distinctive, given that good cdA numbers can be had on conventional cars ..
merc GLA 0.21 2.1m^2 , model 3 cd 0.23 and similar area

Caporegime
Likely to be WLTP Test energy low. A lot of the core OEMs tend to use less of the installed battery capacity ontop of some efficient deficiencies that results in a large variance in range.

edit: just looked, seems approx range as final WLTP numbers will be available 2020. 370mile on the extended Range RWD version.

Yep, all the numbers announced by Ford on Sunday are estimated EPA. The WLPT estimate has been available on the European Ford site for a few weeks (370miles).

It’s not the most efficient unfortunately, but for the end user it’s not going to be the biggest issue as long as the charging is fast enough. While it’s not quite as fast as the Model 3/Y it appears like it’s got a much flatter charge curve, so 10-80% charge will take about 5-7 minutes longer than the Y if the Y is using a V3 supercharger. Basically nothing in it if it’s using a V2.

Soldato
Sounds good, most of the reports I have read put it on par with the Y in terms of capabilities.

My comments were more around the build price and cell costs.

Almost all electric car production is cell constrained. If they get the efficiency up, they need less cells and this can build more cars and make more of their investment back.

When Tesla were only pumping out LR model 3 their overall production was limited by their cells. Once the SR+ came out they were able into increase volumes because they could build more cars using the same number of cells.

The car isn’t the only thing using the cells either and it’s constrained their production capacity for energy products (powerwalls) for a long time now.

Edit: do we know how many of these Ford is going to make? Let’s hope it doesn’t turn into another Nero/Kona and be a pain in the rear to buy because they only made a handful for the UK.

Soldato
There is no denying its a bit of an ugly duck its still a good effort for the money.

What are those range numbers quoted as? EPA? ELTP NEDC? Real world? Either way 200 miles from 75kwh "isn't great". If manufacturers could get the efficiency up to Tesla levels they could put in smaller batteries and reduce their build cost considerably.
Maybe they should make the cars smaller and lighter and more aerodynamic instead of making big fat crossover cars. Fat chance!

Soldato
There were some complaints that the model3 dids not meet the original 0.21cd factor , with speculation that that was for passenger compartment space. ... see some of the reddit threads

Caporegime
Sounds good, most of the reports I have read put it on par with the Y in terms of capabilities.

My comments were more around the build price and cell costs.

Almost all electric car production is cell constrained. If they get the efficiency up, they need less cells and this can build more cars and make more of their investment back.

When Tesla were only pumping out LR model 3 their overall production was limited by their cells. Once the SR+ came out they were able into increase volumes because they could build more cars using the same number of cells.

The car isn’t the only thing using the cells either and it’s constrained their production capacity for energy products (powerwalls) for a long time now.

Edit: do we know how many of these Ford is going to make? Let’s hope it doesn’t turn into another Nero/Kona and be a pain in the rear to buy because they only made a handful for the UK.

I don’t disagree, however chasing efficiency at the detriment of everything else is not a great game either. It’ll be interesting to see if anyone can work out what the biggest driver in efficiency difference is. If it’s aero for example then that is life. Not everyone wants to chase aero over every other factor like Tesla.

And it looks like they’re planning on making 50,000 in the first year due to battery constraints. Hopefully that means for years two and three the number will increase significantly if it’s a success.

Maybe they should make the cars smaller and lighter and more aerodynamic instead of making big fat crossover cars. Fat chance!

Anericans don’t buy those types of car though, and the US is likely to be the main market for it. Ford have licences the MEB platform from VW for that sort of car (presumably BEV Fiesta and Focus etc).

Soldato
If manufacturers could get the efficiency up to Tesla levels they could put in smaller batteries and reduce their build cost considerably.

I thought Elon made the Tesla tech patents open source? You'd think there'd be no reason not to use them for at least a starting point.

Back
Top Bottom