Kids Today & Tech

Soldato
OP
A RasPi will learn 'em :)
Both have one. Both can use Scratch pretty well. Set them up with that ages ago and took them through it.

Your attitude towards your children is shocking. I would never be like that to my child

Haha love you.

Maybe he could have got on the internet and researched what the issue could be. Possibly even found his way to OcUK and asked the question. He could have taken the side off and had a look if anything was obviously wrong without doing anything that would obviously damage the computer. He could have spoken to his dad and see if his dad had any suggestions of what the issue could be and then researched the fix. What he actaully did was nothing at all.

This is kind of my point as well. I don't know if it's French schools or what, but I try and teach them more and more about solving an issue by doing all the above. Or even any of it. Again, I'm not sure if it's schools over here teaching to just remember stuff, but life is all about being able to find solutions and information.

Why has GD allowed you to get away with expressing your age like that? Are you saying you're 33 and four fifths? It's that really what you just said in that post?

Also, if your lad had actually attempted to fix the PC with no experience and no help from you, this thread would have opened up with...

"My Spazzy wean just ****** up the water cooled PC I built him, he's such a total mouth breather I just had to clean some flies off his front teeth..."

lol it's actually 11/12ths if you want to be pedantic. I was being funny. Seems I missed this one.

I wouldn't though, if he was taking it apart in general I'd be pleased he'd given it a go. Or, as above, came to me and said "reckon you'd give me a hand in taking this apart to fix it"

This thread is fun :D

Caporegime
You dumb down the schools you get dumbed down kids.

Jordan Peterson summed it up well in a video I saw, kids today don't even know how to solve the tiniest of problems in their own lives so they attach themselves to big ideas like Climate Change that they know they can't do anything about to appear more intelligent and virtuous, anyone who doesn't share their ideals of obsessing about such huge problems is a bad person/thicko and not worth their time to learn anything from.

I wouldn't just blame schools though, social media has taken over peoples lives, they spend all of their time in an online world so they rarely make the time to disconnect and engage with the physical world around them.

Soldato
There is a definite move towards a more disposable culture these days, and things either don't last or can't be kept going the same. unfortunately it's at a design level because the focus is on making things cheaply and quickly rather than making them serviceable, even those of us who aren't afraid to crack something open to have a go at fixing it can't do it because it's not easily disassembled and even if it was it requires parts that aren't available or in the case of most electronic gadgets a degree in electronic engineering and a lot of time to figure out what the hell is actually wrong with it.

I agree.

What happens now if your iDevice or Tesla packs up out of warranty!?!!? Good luck trying to repair them IF (that's a big IF) you open it, never mind sourcing the parts.

Soldato
I fully agree with that too. They don't want you to repair things yourselves. How many TV repair shops do you see on the high street these days? Always had one in a town growing up!

True but then again, my old LCD Samsung TV pack up a few years back. Opened it up, its basically the screen, AV board and PSU. Easy to repair, if it was an old fat back CRT....TV repair shops would be handy....which don't exist anymore.

Soldato
My last job prior to retirement I was the oldest bloke by decades yet it was me the youngsters came to to fix their tech, i suspect some would have trouble changing a light bulb and totally unable to put up a shelf. I was not taught this stuff as I did not live with my father but doing stuff yourself was just they way it was.

Caporegime
You have to remember we were all basically brought up on DOS and if you wanted a new counterstrike map you made it. Things are far more streamlined than what they were and kids just do not learn the core values of using technology so when something goes wrong they have a wet fart. Opening up com ports and entering address' to get two things to communicate is just unheard of now.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Not for me in the 90's, every subject was graded and they still are now.

Basic Maths, English Science, yeah great. The skills I have now, I taught myself through experiences outside of the education system.
Location? I went to school in both Stoke and the south coast and was taught woodwork, metal fabrication and electronics right down to PCB design and soldering components to make basic gadgets like alarm clocks and things. That was alongside the usual core subjects.

All in the late 90s and early 2000s...

Back
Top Bottom