*** Nintendo Switch ***

Associate
I bit at the early Tesco BF deal yesterday of a new revision Switch and free game incl. the new Pokemon Games at 279.99. (not advertised in store but rings through on the till see > https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/ni...e-includes-pokemon-sword-279-at-tesco-3332528)

Discussed with Mrs Shawrey and bought her one too so we could play the games together. The only issue was that our local Tesco had the consoles but not the games we wanted and a Tesco on the way home from work had the games but not the console. Discussion with the Service Manager at the Local Tesco and they sold the consoles with one of the other games included in the deal and have arranged me to exchange those games with the other store on the way home (Sword and Shield).

Couldn't fault or argue with their determination to get me the deal.

Also, I couldn't honestly see any other big BF deal coming in so I am glad I played a gambit early as stock looks very limited to facilitate the deal if it gets advertised to a wider audience.

Looking forward to picking the games up and having a go later.

Shawrey

Soldato
I agree. The difficulty level has dropped further. You can heal almost anywhere by camping. You don't need to rotate Pokemon as they gain so much XP passively. And you can farm candies easily by doing Dynamax battles. It's an absolute doddle to keep your Pokemon at full health, and levelled up ahead of everyone else's.

I'm gonna be picking up sword at some point. I mean I'm not a huge pokemon fan. I played blue to death on the gameboy but other than that I'm a casual fan at best but is xp sharing really a issue? And the pokedex.... surley that had to happen at some point? I dunno but from what I've seen the game looks pretty good.

The backlash about the Pokedex mainly seems to be from people who have been transferring their Pokemon forward each generation. Suddenly, some of the Pokemon they've used (in some cases) since Red and Blue are now sidelined. Not such a big issue if you haven't kept up with the series. But if you've had a prized Blastoise for 20+ years and suddenly can't use it, that's going to be annoying.

Compounding that is the irritation that GF said they were doing it so they could concentrate on improving animations. And while they certainly have in many areas, battle animations are still pretty terrible. Kick moves are probably the most prominent example; apparently fighting type Pokemon kick with their arms...

Soldato
It's regularly on sale. I bought it for £12 when it was 40% off on the south Africa eShop.

I'm keeping an eye out for it. I bought a game cube for that game, one of the best games I've ever played including all the mini games at the end, I remember I cleared everything. Would love to go through it again with the kids watching :)

fez

fez

Caporegime
Alien: Isolation is coming out 5th december.

Really want to get this but not sure I want to pay £30 for it. Played it a bit on the PS4 a few years ago but another game where I can't bring myself to double dip on the switch for a game I paid ~£10 for years ago on a platform with far better graphics.

Man of Honour
I'm keeping an eye out for it. I bought a game cube for that game, one of the best games I've ever played including all the mini games at the end, I remember I cleared everything. Would love to go through it again with the kids watching :)

The two Revelations games have a great coop arcade mode that you may be interested in.

Associate
This whole transferring pokemon between gens? how exactly has that worked? how can you transfer a pokemon from OG GameBoy games to a later game?

As I understand it, more or less.

I think there are some restrictions on the first two generations but from then on you can go GBA-DS with the original DS then from there you can generally transfer forward one gen at a time, or into the Pokébank.

Watched a video on it once which explained it better but a lot of steps are one way I think (for obvious reasons). The remakes of gens 1 and 2 also work for moving originals forward.

I recently started acquiring some of the more recent games I missed with plans to try and 'catch em all' which also only takes three games as a minimum. Think that will keep me busy for a long time though!

Associate

I think there are some restrictions on the first two generations but from then on you can go GBA-DS with the original DS then from there you can generally transfer forward one gen at a time, or into the Pokébank.

Watched a video on it once which explained it better but a lot of steps are one way I think (for obvious reasons). The remakes of gens 1 and 2 also work for moving originals forward.

I recently started acquiring some of the more recent games I missed with plans to try and 'catch em all' which also only takes three games as a minimum. Think that will keep me busy for a long time though!

Ah ok. So when you say remakes of gen 1 and 2 do you mean pokemon lets go? I kinda wanna do what you are doing and catch them all now lol

Last edited:
Associate
Ah ok. So when you say remakes of gen 1 and 2 do you mean pokemon lets go? I kinda wanna do what you are doing and catch them all now lol

Nah the earlier remakes, Fire Red/Leaf Green (I think on GBA) and Heart Gold/Soul Silver (on DS).

I managed to pick up a lot of games second hand for a decent price but surprisingly it was the older ones which were harder or more expensive. Good luck if you do decide to try it. I started with Sun and Moon which to be honest are 90% cut scenes. Think I'll try the Ruby / Sapphire remakes next as they're meant to be pretty good.

Man of Honour

What do you do about those stupid event only Pokémon?

Associate
What do you do about those stupid event only Pokémon?
That's where you're out of luck I'm afraid. Some can be gotten from global trades via the fan made server keeping that functionality going. I have also seen people posting on Reddit in a specific trades thread offering some rare ones.

Right, happy to continue this discussion but feeling like I might be derailing this thread a little so to bring it back on topic - I nearly bought a switch this time last year and then never did. I'm still keeping an eye out for good deals and there are a few popping up at the moment so again I'm hovering over the buy button.

Thing is as much as I'd like to play the new Pokémon game I think there are other games which I'd rather play, BotW being one of them. Most of the better deals are tied to sword and shield and other game bundles are available with less discount. How much do other top games usually go for? I'm not sure I've paid more than £20 on a PC game in years so going up to £50 odd seems rough.

I also heard rumours of a 'Switch Pro' a while back, did they go anywhere?

Back
Top Bottom