Soundproofing your gaming room

Associate
Guys, any sub £100 methods of soundproofing your room whilst you scream like a lunatic on Discord? Preferably something easy like hanging on a wall, but also looks good and is effective so we don't disturb our loved ones.

Man of Honour
For £100 no not really - you can reduce the sound leaking/dampen the sound but not to negligible levels so as to not disturb people nearby on that budget.

A baseline for significantly muting gaming, TV, etc. noise is going to be around £50 per square meter of surface area and if you don't do it yourself a few hundred for a tradesman to do it and you can easily spend 10 even 100x that to effectively soundproof a room.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
What if I nail a fluffy carpet or moving blankets to the wall that I'm facing and turn it into a feature wall of some sort? Might look a bit dodgy still

Last edited:
Permabanned
Wear headphones and put a sock in your mouth it would be easy to attain and cost far less as soundproofing is a highly overpriced/marked up market and no doubt many do it as a last resort to moving home due to noisy neighbours (look at the retailers and see the cost involved).

Last edited:
Associate
Get lots of used mattresses and stick them to the walls and ceiling. You'll probably end up with bed bugs but the room will be quieter

Associate
For £100 no not really - you can reduce the sound leaking/dampen the sound but not to negligible levels so as to not disturb people nearby on that budget.

A baseline for significantly muting gaming, TV, etc. noise is going to be around £50 per square meter of surface area and if you don't do it yourself a few hundred for a tradesman to do it and you can easily spend 10 even 100x that to effectively soundproof a room.
Just wait for wicks to do an offer on insulation boards. Build a little room big enough to fit pc and a screaming luney job done.

Cardboard box and expanding foam works too
On second thoughts screaming and pc produce lots of heat might want to water cool your box

Man of Honour
1) Spend £100 on lottery tickets
2) Win lottery
3) Buy an anechoic chamber that will fit inside the room and move your PC into it
4) Keep the rest of the lottery money for therapy in case you can't tolerate a genuinely quiet room.

Although I'm not sure that even an anechoic chamber would be completely soundproof. They're designed to stop echoes inside the chamber and I'm not sure how much sound they can completely prevent from exiting the chamber.

You're certainly not going to make much headway with a budget of £100. Some degree of reduction in volume, but nowhere near soundproofing.

Pfft... I saw the thread title and thought it was someone playing Prodigy / Chemical Brothers with floor-to-ceiling speakers while gaming and him wanting to soundproof his set-up.

Instead, we have a World of Warcraft player with tinny desktop speakers who has just been ninja-looted :p

Seriously though, I'd love to know how to soundproof a room with floor-to-ceiling speakers for a spot of Prodge and Chemicals.

Man of Honour
Pfft... I saw the thread title and thought it was someone playing Prodigy / Chemical Brothers with floor-to-ceiling speakers while gaming and him wanting to soundproof his set-up.

Instead, we have a World of Warcraft player with tinny desktop speakers who has just been ninja-looted :p

Seriously though, I'd love to know how to soundproof a room with floor-to-ceiling speakers for a spot of Prodge and Chemicals.

Simple. Supervillain lair deep underground :)

Back
Top Bottom