Post Your Daily Encounter Pics Here

Soldato
@Gibbo - Sorry to jump in, I know you like your cars and probably one of the few people that have probably driven these cars... but...

Jaguar F-Type SVR vs Mercedes AMG GT? Anyone else who has experience in these please shout!

Realise they probably win and slightly different things but a summary if you have one please :D

Or anything else worth of mentioning around the £60 - 70k mark? Coupes/ Convertibles. Not necessarily 2 seater.

They aren't for me either.

OcUK Staff
@Gibbo - Sorry to jump in, I know you like your cars and probably one of the few people that have probably driven these cars... but...

Jaguar F-Type SVR vs Mercedes AMG GT? Anyone else who has experience in these please shout!

Realise they probably win and slightly different things but a summary if you have one please :D

Or anything else worth of mentioning around the £60 - 70k mark? Coupes/ Convertibles. Not necessarily 2 seater.

They aren't for me either.

Driven AMG GT and AMG GTR. I'd go as far as saying the AMG is a rarer site and certainly has that thug look about it. Sounds good, good power but the driving position just felt odd to me, your sat quite far back from the front wheels which is very unusual and feels as such, plus the steering felt totally disconnected, it literally had zero feel. The GTR edition was also nothing but a nightmare for putting the power down in anything but bone dry conditions. They hold value quite well, but they cost more to service and run.

Owned an F-Type SVR and driven every F-Type model, SVR all the way, yes the extras are small but they add up and again if its going to be a daily and you want the V8 then absolutely R AWD or SVR all the way, the RWD V8's just roast the rear tyres on command, if its a summer weekend car then a V8S convertible should be considered because at 25-30k they are absolute bargains.

The SVR is a proper British hot rod, it sounds amazing and also obnoxious in such a good way, it will hit 60mph in sub 3.5s in Winter conditions and always put its power down no matter how cold and wet it is (on Michelins). It is also a good driving car, even though AWD there is some steering feel, but most of all there is a real good seat of the pants feel and the acceleration is neck snapping instant, the AMG GT being turbo does not have this instant throttle response.

Just drive them, once you drive an SVR you will be smitten, the P4's aint worth bothering with, handle nice, but powertrain is lifeless. V6 sounds awesome, but don't feel much quicker than P4's and the V8 models just feel in another dimension on acceleration and power, particular AWD's as they just put power down so effectively. Think of an SVR as like a gentlemens Mitsubishi EVO, it has class, comfort and some real nice toys that makes winter a joy, remote start (2016 and later), heated front screen / seats etc (Winter pack) and built in tracker.

SVR all the way, values have crashed, now is a good time to buy as the new F-Type has BMW's 4.4l V8 Turbo, which sounds nothing like the outgoing motor and won't be as responsive so I can see the values bottoming, 55-65k for a good spec SVR is where your money should go, I'd not spend more because they quickly depreciate to the 60-70k region, sometimes less.

Soldato
The perfect winter daily:

Untitled.jpg

Back
Top Bottom