The nervous wait to exchange....

Associate
Offer accepted in April this year and exchanged contracts today. Mortgage offer expires in a couple weeks, hallelujah.

Nice one, I can relate as similar situation. First property involved a chain (probate where apparently, the owners were a bit keen to get their inheritance). The whole chain fell through so had walk away and start over. The mortgage offer expired but a phone call and all was well. At the time, it was a horrible feeling, the thought that the mortgage offer would change/withdrawn 6 months later (no idea why as circumstances had not changed) but still, its an extra stress as you know a deadline is looming.

Best wishes for the move. :)

Associate
Nice one, I can relate as similar situation. First property involved a chain (probate where apparently, the owners were a bit keen to get their inheritance). The whole chain fell through so had walk away and start over. The mortgage offer expired but a phone call and all was well. At the time, it was a horrible feeling, the thought that the mortgage offer would change/withdrawn 6 months later (no idea why as circumstances had not changed) but still, its an extra stress as you know a deadline is looming.

Best wishes for the move. :)

That sounded very stressful, and thank you!

Soldato
@Steeps congrats.

Me and my fiancee moved out from a tiny London studio into a 3 bed and feel lost with the space we have. We'll keep it minimalist as long as we can but glad to have finally moved out of a studio that was more of a bedroom / kitchen / bathroom.

Enjoy the space, I rolled around like Homer Simpson on the day we moved in :D

Soldato
One of the first things I did was lay on the floor and question why I needed furniture. A lot of the storage I had now was to house clutter I didn't have time/space to sort or strong enough to let go of, now I have a loft for a large proportion of it (habit of keeping boxes for everything I buy and still own, actually useful now moving!). First boxes going in today but wardrobes/bed/sofas won't be in for 2 weeks.

Caporegime
My buyers are starting to get on my nerves. Although not sure if it's them or their solicitor. Complaining because we aren't including light 'dressings' and the range for free.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
One of the first things I did was lay on the floor and question why I needed furniture. A lot of the storage I had now was to house clutter I didn't have time/space to sort or strong enough to let go of, now I have a loft for a large proportion of it (habit of keeping boxes for everything I buy and still own, actually useful now moving!). First boxes going in today but wardrobes/bed/sofas won't be in for 2 weeks.

Was an odd feeling when we moved out and all the rooms were bare - the house felt 2x as big or more compared to when we'd been living there LOL.

Associate
Our buyer has apparently had the error in their credit file fixed by Barclays. Still waiting for it to update and they can then get their mortgage fixed. More and more waiting.

works ok for us though as with 2 kids we didn’t want to rush for before Xmas anyway. Going to aim for late January if we can.

hopefully their file updates fairly quickly. Barclays said it was 2 days. It’s been 7 so who knows how long it will actually take.

Associate

I kept some boxes! By gum it was handy for the move! One example was my old iMac box was stuffed in the loft, was very happy to find again, as trying to shift without a box would have been a pain!

Moved to a bigger place and only when moving, packing up, did it dawn the amount of clutter accumulated! I could stick in the loft/garage but I know if I do; I will never dig it out (as happened in the old place). I really am making a conscience effort that less is more!

Currently exploring ways to sell off old stuff - I really cannot be bothered with eBay. Will explore classified ads to see how it goes, could car boot but past experiences put me off.

Soldato
I kept some boxes! By gum it was handy for the move! One example was my old iMac box was stuffed in the loft, was very happy to find again, as trying to shift without a box would have been a pain!

Moved to a bigger place and only when moving, packing up, did it dawn the amount of clutter accumulated! I could stick in the loft/garage but I know if I do; I will never dig it out (as happened in the old place). I really am making a conscience effort that less is more!

Currently exploring ways to sell off old stuff - I really cannot be bothered with eBay. Will explore classified ads to see how it goes, could car boot but past experiences put me off.

As a rule I will try and sell stuff if I can get at least £20 for it, less and I'll often just give stuff away.

Gumtree is reasonable for shifting stuff, but you probably won't get top dollar

Soldato
Went to meet the site manager this week and the first look at the house.
First fix done
Should be ready in 3 weeks - just in time for xmas.

l70UnZK.jpg

Associate
Barclays are really annoying me now with the mortgage completion process. Everything has been agreed between solicitors and my solicitor sent off the documentation and indemnity policies for the house we are buying for them to review and give confirmation to proceed, this is back on the 12th November.

On Monday 18th I hadn't heard anything so contacted solicitors. They called Barclays who said the completion team had sent the documentation to the valuation team, who had reviewed it and sent it back for the completion team to respond. They said they would respond by end of play Tuesday 19th. Checked on the 20th nothing, Barclays then saying end of play Friday 22nd. Checked on Monday, nothing still, Barclays then saying end of play Tuesday 26th. Still nothing.

Edit: 16:23 the mortgage broker finally managed to get them to reply! Good news all ok!

Last edited:
Soldato
Went to meet the site manager this week and the first look at the house.
First fix done
Should be ready in 3 weeks - just in time for xmas.

Looks lovely, congrats. Is that Taylor Wimpey? If so, make sure you get a professional snagger in before the hand-over. We had an apartment from them (brand new) and found around 350 things that needed to be resolved.

Soldato
Looks great @tres - you expecting to actually be in for 25th? Make sure you have a back up just in case the last few bits drag out!

Whereabouts is it?

A village in the North East. Nice community feel, one of the nicer ones.

Haha yes, not ideal dates at all, too much of a rush for my liking but the other half is super keen. Have the existing rented house until the 10th January which is helpful.

Bearing in mind last days for completions for most solicitors will be the 20th if not 19th!

Thanks, good to know, emailed the solicitors

Looks lovely, congrats. Is that Taylor Wimpey? If so, make sure you get a professional snagger in before the hand-over. We had an apartment from them (brand new) and found around 350 things that needed to be resolved.

Thanks, also good to know. Will get the professional snagger, but probably after we've been in a couple of weeks. Again, not idea, but no available snaggers in the area around xmas.

Soldato
how far do you go when you sell?

would you take your google nest, cctv and lighted bluetooth mirrors with u?

Is it unreasonable to take your curtains too?

Soldato
how far do you go when you sell?

would you take your google nest, cctv and lighted bluetooth mirrors with u?

Is it unreasonable to take your curtains too?

Anything that's not nailed down...

Our sellers took several curtains, but offered us some stuff for free that they probably couldn't be bothered to remove - top loaders, some storage, etc. When moving out of our flat our removal company were aghast that I wanted to take with me a large American fridge-freezer, a range cooker and a cast iron bath. All of which were only a few years old.

I was told that very few people took this kind of stuff with them...

Back
Top Bottom