Tesla Cybertruck

Soldato
Complete opposite to most here.

I love it, think it looks great because it looks so utterly different to all the 'normal' cars/trucks you see on the roads these days and have for how many decades now?

Why be bold, when you can be boring? I guess also there will be the usual bias for both sides who either hate it or love it due to being Tesla.

Agree, I find it refreshing. And yeah, it's typical Tesla product reaction so far. ;)

I'm a mega tesla fan, if I had the money I'd buy a cyber truck.. On the other hand I'm worried.. I don't see this thing selling to the masses I seriously hope I'm wrong... This was the first time I thought Elon might be mad.. Its either genius or a mega flop.. Though I suspect the upper and lower parts are seperate and they can drop a new body on if this design flops

They aren't trying to sell this one to the masses. They won't be able to produce enough of them for that. I think people expecting this to flop are going to be surprised when the reservation numbers are shared, which I assume they will be at some point. I've been scanning various websites for reaction on the Cybertruck and a common reaction is that people are confused and shocked at first and it hits them right in the "WEIRD" centre of the brain. Then they warm to the design and some find themselves reserving the thing. All in the space of mere hours. Others aren't won over on the looks that quickly, but find the specs and price appealing. It won't win over everyone, not even close, but it doesn't need to. Some people love it and probably enough people will order it.

But you're right that if it is a flop it can be changed. Elon specifically said that if too many people hate the Cybertruck, which he knew would be divisive, they would bring something more mainstream to the market instead. Of course they may do both, and I don't think this Cybertruck will be a flop.

Caporegime
I'm a mega tesla fan, if I had the money I'd buy a cyber truck.. On the other hand I'm worried.. I don't see this thing selling to the masses I seriously hope I'm wrong... This was the first time I thought Elon might be mad.. Its either genius or a mega flop.. Though I suspect the upper and lower parts are seperate and they can drop a new body on if this design flops

If I had a spare $80k I’d buy one too, and a Raptor. As an everyday vehicle in a 1-2 car household I just can’t see myself doing so. Way too impractical for my needs/wants.

@PCM2 the 200k number is floating around regarding reservations. That said, at $100 to reserve (yes, One Hundred Dollars, not One Thousand), even if you’re only slightly tempted it’s worth a punt. It’s 2-3 years from production so who knows what it’ll actually be like then. I’m tempted, but then again I’m pretty sure it’ll be available to non reservation holders after a year of production, just like the Model 3.

Soldato
I believe the idea is that the body is made of one sheet of his Steel Alloy and pressed for quick and cheap manufacture. There's little welding that needs done.

Great until it gets a dent, then you have to take the entire body off to fix it :p

It's been tried and regretted before.

Caporegime
Great until it gets a dent, then you have to take the entire body off to fix it :p

It's been tried and regretted before.

it's the same stainless steel alloy they're using on their Dragon rocket so should be plenty strong. And if a body is cheap to make compared to individual panels, replacing the body might not be so expensive.

Associate
Complete opposite to most here.

I love it, think it looks great because it looks so utterly different to all the 'normal' cars/trucks you see on the roads these days and have for how many decades now?

Why be bold, when you can be boring? I guess also there will be the usual bias for both sides who either hate it or love it due to being Tesla.
I don't see how this design is going to win over existing truck users though ...

Soldato
This week in the car industry:

Ford: “We’re going to launch a controversial new EV that will polarise opinions and really get folks talking about us”

Tesla: “Hold my beer”

Caporegime
it's the same stainless steel alloy they're using on their Dragon rocket so should be plenty strong. And if a body is cheap to make compared to individual panels, replacing the body might not be so expensive.

So literal aerospace grade steel.

On the flip side it’s obvious what they’re using and the design they have means it’s a lot cheaper than normal panels, which is a major driver. Unfortunately I’m the long run it’s not a great idea for customers - have an accident, it’s going to be a write off.

TBH the more I think about it the less I think this will get past the concept stage. Even the lax US regulations may put a kaibosh on several major features (light placement and size, crumple zones for example). I also think if it does make it to market like that it’s going to be another Model X door fiasco. Great in theory, bad idea in practice.

Soldato
Robert Zemeckis has said as long as he lives he won’t allow it. Expect Hollywood execs to be planning his accidental death as we speak.

He just needs to make sure the rights go to someone which will never authorise a reboot in his will. Like his pet cat or something :D

Back
Top Bottom