• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OcUK Ryzen 9 3950X review thread

Soldato
Well how many 3960X and 3970X have you tested?

If you had tested any then you’d know these new chips run 4.50GHz boost clock and do so all core on the Ripper’s.

Then factor in quad channel 3600MHz tight latency 1:1 divider and the new thread rippers are very good.

'Sake, Gibbo... I'm not sure I want a 3950X any more. :o

OcUK Staff
it is really syprising that someonme at a shop either staff or manager not trying to upsell:) i say good on you @gibbo:p

Im sharing our testing that is all.

Hahah Gibbo is hyping threadripper.

Pre order now for 2021 delivery

Not at all the simple fact is anyone buying one for gaming would be pretty nuts to drop that level of money.

Fact is 3700X or 9700KF are all people need for a fantastic gaming experience and those are both £300 or less. Dropping over a grand on a Ripper to play games would be not what I would advice, save the money and take a holiday or buy a better GPU that truly impacts your FPS.

Soldato
But you can feel free to pre-order with us and we shall keep the price at MSRP and we will do everything we can to get your order with you as quick possible, but we want to be realistic, you could be waiting weeks, maybe months.
Great post. I feel this is a much fairer approach. I think customers would much rather have this than the high prices which supposedly are there to discourage ordering and avoid disappointment.

Associate
I appreciate Gibbo's insight on these before release/reviews. Where else would you get such a thing.

These are premium products with the absolute best perf out there, so not for people that just want to play Fortnite with the rest of the kids.

Associate
Well this is a difficult decision to make then. Obviously i'll need to wait for reviews of the new TRs to confirm the claims, but if they're pretty good for gaming also and will be more available then the 3950x, then this might push me to get a new TR instead, as i'm not just gaming with the rest of the kids :D

Associate
And Murphys law strikes again. Having waited patiently since April for my beloved 3950X I finally find out it's available on 25th November...when I'm in Miami! To make matters worse it's released at 2pm UK time which is 9am US time, right when my conference starts....oh well it's either 3900x for me (which in fairness is more than I really need now I have NVENC to encode my videos) or keep my fingers crossed that BestBuy have a few in stock!

Soldato
And Murphys law strikes again. Having waited patiently since April for my beloved 3950X I finally find out it's available on 25th November...when I'm in Miami! To make matters worse it's released at 2pm UK time which is 9am US time, right when my conference starts....oh well it's either 3900x for me (which in fairness is more than I really need now I have NVENC to encode my videos) or keep my fingers crossed that BestBuy have a few in stock!

It will be listed a few minutes earlier than 2pm. So you 'could' log in and purchase unless you have 1st slot as a speaker. Though if you are in the US, I remember when the 3900X's were released, one of the big PC stores had loads of them on the shelf where it was sold out everywhere in Europe, so you could be lucky picking 3950X up over there. I'd get googling what PC stores are near your conference, worth a try.

Soldato
It will be listed a few minutes earlier than 2pm. So you 'could' log in and purchase unless you have 1st slot as a speaker. Though if you are in the US, I remember when the 3900X's were released, one of the big PC stores had loads of them on the shelf where it was sold out everywhere in Europe, so you could be lucky picking 3950X up over there. I'd get googling what PC stores are near your conference, worth a try.
This. From my experience you should be in a much better position getting a 0 day 3950X in the U.S. than you would do in the U.K.

Soldato
I appreciate Gibbo's insight on these before release/reviews. Where else would you get such a thing.

These are premium products with the absolute best perf out there, so not for people that just want to play Fortnite with the rest of the kids.

There's a meme or a reddit snapshot from Linus (LTT) hinting that the latest threadripper shows that AMD haven't finished with wiping the noses of the competition into the floor. 'Money no object' gamers will be VERY interested. Maybe the high end gamer/professional workspace becomes a grey area.

Again, re-goolged, but can't find where I saw it.

Thinking about it, LINUS meme coulda been some photoshop trickery. But seeing as OCUK guys have been testing already, maybe where there's smoke......

Last edited:
Soldato
Mainly gaming, but do use some of the adobe suite for work.

However, I'd like to future proof it a bit. Its been 8 years since I last upgraded my PC. Currently have an i5-2500k.
Even future proofing for gaming you're not going to regret a 3900X over a 3950X. Also true for Adobe suite stuff. The only time that you might regret it is if you're mainly doing rendering etc that will max out all 16 cores all the time.

Soldato
There's a meme or a reddit snapshot from Linus (LTT) hinting that the latest threadripper shows that AMD haven't finished with wiping the noses of the competition into the floor. 'Money no object' gamers will be VERY interested. Maybe the high end gamer/professional workspace becomes a grey area.

Again, re-goolged, but can't find where I saw it.

Thinking about it, LINUS meme coulda been some photoshop trickery. But seeing as OCUK guys have been testing already, maybe where there's smoke......

This one?

Associate
There is a part of me that feels that the Threadripper being HEDT should be playing better in games than the 3950x but on the other hand I am like I can't justify the price or the need for so many cores haha.

TrM

TrM

Associate
There is a part of me that feels that the Threadripper being HEDT should be playing better in games than the 3950x but on the other hand I am like I can't justify the price or the need for so many cores haha.

i allways belived it to be the opisit though. mre cores yes more memory bandwidth yes but less clock speed on HEDT system generally and weve seen from amd threadripper the issues so many cores can bring also and on amd side the i7 and now the i9 has allways clocked higher then the HEDT cpu's with standard type cooling.

Associate
i allways belived it to be the opisit though. mre cores yes more memory bandwidth yes but less clock speed on HEDT system generally and weve seen from amd threadripper the issues so many cores can bring also and on amd side the i7 and now the i9 has allways clocked higher then the HEDT cpu's with standard type cooling.
Cant wait to see the reviews on Monday. I would have loved to have a TR but I don't have any use for it at the moment. I liked the original pricing of the 1950x but now they are too expensive.

TrM

TrM

Associate
Cant wait to see the reviews on Monday. I would have loved to have a TR but I don't have any use for it at the moment. I liked the original pricing of the 1950x but now they are too expensive.

i was thinking on going threadripper last year but i felt the 3900x was a good inbetween myself and i think for my home maching which i do use for gaming and for work stuff also to be at the top of the budget i wanted to spend. the 3950x to me was to expensive and that exstends to the threadripepr also. Not saying they are not good cpu or that the to over priced just out of my budget range. But i do want to see what threadripper does bring tto the table though for my next upgrade i might have more to spend :)

Associate
i was thinking on going threadripper last year but i felt the 3900x was a good inbetween myself and i think for my home maching which i do use for gaming and for work stuff also to be at the top of the budget i wanted to spend. the 3950x to me was to expensive and that exstends to the threadripepr also. Not saying they are not good cpu or that the to over priced just out of my budget range. But i do want to see what threadripper does bring tto the table though for my next upgrade i might have more to spend :)
True I also think the 3900x would be more than enough for my needs, but 16coreeees! Come monday ill probably order me a 3900x because 3950x i don't think ill be lucky enough to be in the lucky 10 3950x ocUK owners.

Back
Top Bottom