Contaminated petrol courtesy of Tesco

Soldato
My car has a warning on the fuel cover to not use any additives.

A question for you, local Shell matches the Tesco unleaded price so VPower is only 3p a litre more than Momentum 99 would you pay that for the better cleaning ability ? Also if Tesco sold Tesco Value oil with the right ratings would you use that in your engine or pay more for Mobil or Castrol oil ?

If she'll was closer, I'd take the hit over going the extra to Tesco. If the same distance, I'd taking the saving and go to Tesco.

In regards to your oil question, no. My car only uses Shell Helix oil or Mobi.
I have 6 bottles in the garage of shell helix. Got them in a sale for £17.50 per 5L. Can't beat that.

Soldato
wow thats a small difference Cambridge momentum 129.9 , 95 121.9 and V-power ...it's going to be 140
.... I don't drive past it any more - you're sure you don't pay over the odds for Momentum ?

Not sure it’s 7p a litre more for Momentum and 10p a litre more for V Power they were 122.9p for 95 the last time I drove past. The Shell garage still charges a penny or two more for diesel. I don’t pay a huge amount of attention as I drive a diesel I normally buy BP diesel as they price match the near by Morrison’s.

Soldato
That doesn't sound very convincing.

After 130k of V Power in my old Golf with direct injection the valves had minimal carbon build up and the injector spray patterns were graded as excellent by the cleaning company so they didn’t need to clean them. In comparison my sisters car with a very similar engine (S3 vs Golf GTI) ran on Tesco 99 had two failed injectors by 50k along with caked inlet valves the two remaining injectors needed cleaned. Dealer told her to stop using super market fuel as the majority of injector faults they see were with cars ran on it.

For £1-2 a tank it’s not a huge expense.

My wife’s Mini exhaust pops much better in sports mode with it so worth it just for that :)

Last edited:
Soldato
I use premium diesel in my 2lt Mondeo better value. Must run cleaner it doesn't clog up the DPF anywhere near as fast.

Can confirm my parents found this too. Car would often drop into limp mode while using Tesco fuel, but was happier to act normally while using Shell

FWIW, I always use Shell/BP for my vehicles; Shell V Power all the time for the bike :)

Associate
And yet dealers use additives themselves. Manufactures even sell them.

Mazda Zoom Power Cleaner.
BMW fuel additive.
https://www.group1auto.co.uk/bmw/bmw-fuel-additive

That's just two off the top of my head.

Probably because it has been tested by them, reduces warranty claims in the same way Ford warranties remain with some Mountune mods, also it creates a captive market, sold as keeping the engine working to its full potential and probably one of those things that can be used in the sale of new/used cars by main dealerships - "if you buy it today we'll include 3 years free servicing including engine powerzzz additive".

Soldato
Can confirm my parents found this too. Car would often drop into limp mode while using Tesco fuel, but was happier to act normally while using Shell

FWIW, I always use Shell/BP for my vehicles; Shell V Power all the time for the bike :)
Sounds like an issue with the car.

Soldato
I really don’t think you realise how much difference there is in fuels. You are posting like you have facts when you don’t and it is pure speculation from your side.
It's absolutely not normal for a healthy car to frequently drop into limp mode just because you've filled up at a supermarket, no matter how amazing Shell's fuel might be.

Caporegime
I really don’t think you realise how much difference there is in fuels. You are posting like you have facts when you don’t and it is pure speculation from your side.

I dont think any of us really know how much difference there are between fuels (unlessntheres anyone in the industry lurking). That information seems very hard to come across, I suspect because the difference is more marketing than reality.

Soldato
I dont think any of us really know how much difference there are between fuels (unlessntheres anyone in the industry lurking). That information seems very hard to come across, I suspect because the difference is more marketing than reality.

Simon works for BP, another person who worked for a company supplying fuel also mentioned that a big supermarket chain didn’t put any additional additives into fuel but wouldn’t name them.

Soldato
I'm mainly a gas man, but did some work at an oil refinery, amazed me what **** goes into petrol.

Basically they have 2 (very) old engines, one runs on a lab sample, the other is whatever blend they have available. Both engines are run till they are pinging at at the same point. Only thing is they put more heavys in the summer

Last edited:
Soldato
After 130k of V Power in my old Golf with direct injection the valves had minimal carbon build up and the injector spray patterns were graded as excellent by the cleaning company so they didn’t need to clean them. In comparison my sisters car with a very similar engine (S3 vs Golf GTI) ran on Tesco 99 had two failed injectors by 50k along with caked inlet valves the two remaining injectors needed cleaned. Dealer told her to stop using super market fuel as the majority of injector faults they see were with cars ran on it.

My wife’s Mini exhaust pops much better in sports mode with it so worth it just for that :)

What years are the cars because they started using port injection again to avoid it. Many new cars now have 2 sets of injectors. The VW engines seemed to be especially bad for buildup for a quite a while.

Soldato
looked on petrol prices app ... at least in cambridge v-power is 140 versus the 130/M99, 123/95 ... so £6/£10 delta a tank - shell premium diesel 143 versus 132 too.

surprises me how pump delivery speed can vary at the same station ... sometimes can take 2 minutes for 30L, this morning probably 40s , no stop-start dribble

Many new cars now have 2 sets of injectors.
so you have halved the problem ? link ?

if these folks are to be believed for DI https://www.knowyourparts.com/technical-resources/chemicals/gdi-engines-carbon-buildup/
Fuel additives and detergents in gasoline do not help to prevent carbon buildup on the intake valves of a GDI engine. CRC GDI IVD Intake Valve and Turbo Cleaner is specifically formulated to safely break down carbon deposits without causing large chunks to break off and potentially damage the engine.
but maybe they pay google for premier position on search results ?

Back
Top Bottom