BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Associate
Since moving to this property 4 years ago had dreadful internet. new build estate surrounded by fibre and virgin media could only get ASDL2 a miserable 10/1.3 coming from infinity 60/10 the previous 4 years before that, then earlier this year switched to Three 4G unlimited service which gives me a 50/20 max the speeds are all over the place and can drop out all together even though im in a very good 4G area.

can u be leave it dropped connection on some of the nicest days this year.

Now fast forward to this month get a open reach leaflet to say they are checking the ducting for future fibre. Thinks to me self this is going to be another no go they just teasing me now, so did me a post code search on the open reach now can get FTTP 300/49 for £49 a month 24 month contract well clicked quicker than a crack head can light a pipe currently have the fibre cable outside the house ready for an engineer to come on Monday

who's joined this service and what's the quality like, also can I use my own router that new hub they sent me is FUGLY ?

Soldato
Since moving to this property 4 years ago had dreadful internet. new build estate surrounded by fibre and virgin media could only get ASDL2 a miserable 10/1.3 coming from infinity 60/10 the previous 4 years before that, then earlier this year switched to Three 4G unlimited service which gives me a 50/20 max the speeds are all over the place and can drop out all together even though im in a very good 4G area.

can u be leave it dropped connection on some of the nicest days this year.

Now fast forward to this month get a open reach leaflet to say they are checking the ducting for future fibre. Thinks to me self this is going to be another no go they just teasing me now, so did me a post code search on the open reach now can get FTTP 300/49 for £49 a month 24 month contract well clicked quicker than a crack head can light a pipe currently have the fibre cable outside the house ready for an engineer to come on Monday

who's joined this service and what's the quality like, also can I use my own router that new hub they sent me is FUGLY ?

I'm on that service and it's overkill to be honest for my needs but hey why not :)

Absolutely faultless so far, with a steady connection of around 305Mbps download and 51Mbps upload, coupled with quite low latency.

Sure mine is £59.99 per month though, £49.99 was for up to 150Mbps.

RJC

RJC

Don
I joined 2 months ago on the 150 service, so far all had been good. I get around 140-145 down and 30 up. They charge £39.99 for this service now which is what I pay.

Due to the length it took them to install, they had to lay a new duct across the garden they ended up giving me £130 credit.

TJM

TJM

Associate
The big advantage of fibre (aside from the speed, which - as said above - is generally overkill) is that it just works. My router is on 32 days of WAN uptime.

Caporegime
The big advantage of fibre (aside from the speed, which - as said above - is generally overkill) is that it just works. My router is on 32 days of WAN uptime.

Yep, it pretty much eliminates the issues with line errors, my g.fast connection is stable and hasn't gone down since I went live but there's still a load of errors on the line.

Soldato
Something I have noticed which is a bit odd. With Plusnet, we (usually) had sync speeds of 79/19 Mb/s, as I said above. However, we never saw actual speed test results above 70 Mb/s. Now with Vodafone the line is syncing at 71 Mb/s (seems to have stabilised here), so while the sync speed is lower, the real world download speed is actually the same.

Additionally, when running speedtest.net the needle used to jump all over the place before it settled down and I used to see "network quality notifications" all the time in Overwatch. Now, speedtest.net needle settles almost immediately and I haven't seen a single "network quality notification". Pings are also improved. I wonder if there was some issue with Plusnet's network that was causing these weird symptoms before? The only downside of my switch so far is upload speed, which hasn't risen back to 19 Mb/s (yet).

Associate
well have now got my FTTP fitted running like a dream tests showing 300/50 currently downloading an update off ORIGIN @ 37MB wireless connection up to 300Mb's which is more than enough for devices in the house . lines synced @ 1000/1000 so does this mean potential to go giga in the future?

Soldato
well have now got my FTTP fitted running like a dream tests showing 300/50 currently downloading an update off ORIGIN @ 37MB wireless connection up to 300Mb's which is more than enough for devices in the house . lines synced @ 1000/1000 so does this mean potential to go giga in the future?
Gigabit is coming March 2020.

Man of Honour

To be fair other than when BT messed up the line I never had problems getting a month or more WAN uptime on ADSL or VDSL/FTTC on a couple of so-so lines - used to see stuff like 160 days uptime on both router and WAN all the time.

Man of Honour
What's this BT Halo then?

Anyone using it?

Had the mailshot through couple of days ago - seems to be some kind of multi-connectivity thing that gives your household a consolidated unlimited plan using fixed, Wifi and 4G. I didn't really look at in detail though.

EDIT: Though it bands about both unlimited and double-data so not sure it is household wide unlimited.

Back
Top Bottom